Just curious... What kinda great deals have you ever gotten on Klipsch?

tpg

It's not Klipsch, but I found out about them here - the JBL Pro low frequency cabinets at the tent sale! These are professional quality dual 15" woofers that really hit hard and clean. They retailed for 1100 each, they were selling them for $216 each - delivered! They've given my HT a serious bass upgrade without breaking the bank. Such a good deal, I bought two.

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 06-07-2002 at 10:49 PM

I found a pair of '85 KCBR Klipschorns for $1500 last fall. While Khorns can sometimes be gotten for that price, the good deal was that these were in absolutely perfect condition and not even broken in. The guy had bought unfinished KCBR's new in "85 and had them finished in a light walnut and placed in the corners of his office (probably wrote them off his taxes as entertainment expense) where they sat virtually unmoved and unplayed until 2001 when I picked them up. He said he never really cared for the sound of them, but then he was using a Carver amp and they did sound kinda bright and thin when he played them for me.

They have been breaking in nicely in my livingroom for several months now and they sound great.

Sam JBL story.

Retail: ~$1000+

Me : $ 220 delivered

Best deal I have seen on ANYTHING! I mean, you are not going to find a 2001 (like last years, new) BMW that went from $40,000 to $10,000. The speaker was, and probably will be the best deal in my life for somthing that isn't stolenSmile.gif or flawed.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Timbre is the multi-dimensional quality of sound that gives an instrument, a person or a loudspeaker a distinctive voice. An example of timbre matching (or lack thereof) is to listen to a sound panning from one side to the other beginning at the Left Main progressing to the Front Center and then to the Right Main. If the sound seemed exactly the same across all three speakers than the speakers are timbre matched. Usually, however, there is some variation, however slight, to account for the different locations of even identical speakers.

Zounds, chickey, you have unmasked me... I have indeed lectured in universities and given complex presentations before large professional gatherings... but, unfortunately, not on the subjects of acoustics or psychoacoustics. But I do have fifty years of being a serious amateur with a few inroads into creating professional quality, multi-channel, showroom theaters.

Still, there do appear to be two distinct aspects of selecting a sound system... the Science & Art approach and the Good Time approach. The "Science & Art" of sound is a complex set of interrelated waveforms ... and no concept is more complex than the illusive voice of a musical instrument, your mother or a loudspeaker in a particular location... the uniqueness of that "voice" is called timbre. Speakers that have nearly identical waveforms are said to be "timbre matched.

Performance oriented sound systems are usually require timbre matched speakers in every full-range, multi-channel position. The object is to have the overall sound character as close as possible to that encountered in a live performance. Ideally, a sound panned around the room 360° will sound very nearly the same from each loudspeaker in every discrete location. A well positioned, SPL calibrated, Performance system provides the fullest opportunity for a mixing engineer to create a full range of sound from any discrete speaker. Performance systems tend to be less forgiving of poorly mixed HT or music program material... but, like most Klipsch speakers, excellent when coupled with good electronics and good program material.

Cinema oriented systems generally have less tightly timbre matched front speakers (usually due to the diminished capacity of the center speaker) and wide-dispersion speakers in the rear which provide diffuse sounds that create multiple reflections which, in turn, change the character and erode the timbre to create an indistinct ambience popularized by ProLogic and THX Certified systems. Cinema oriented systems tend to be vary forgiving of various acoustics anomalies, smaller listening rooms, marginal program material, and, therefore, have become very popular as ubiquitous HT systems.

My first pair of KLF-30's were bought from my local authorized dealer for $300 for the pair! They were considered defective when they had been opened as a demo pair.

Sadly, this pair was afflicted with insufficient glue on the motorboard making the pair sound like the bean scene from Blazing Saddles. The store tried to fix them by adding a bead of silicone without resetting the motorboard... and who would want them with an ugly, uneven bead of silicone projecting front and back... with an occasional "excuse me" toot to boot.

I would. Two hours after I got them home the silicone was gone and the motorboard was seated to factory specs. I picked up an in the box KLF-C7 for half price from someone who tried it as a Center for his Cornwalls. I had three KLF-10's so I made them the rear array... with a pair of SB2's for Front Effects.

I picked up another pair of close-out KLF-30's for less than half-price... and discovered another pair that was being held by a purchaser that put money down but never showed up to pay the balance... Yep, another pair at less than half price... which made it possible to build a KLF-30 Center by building a new motorboard and one to use for Rear Effects.

I picked up a second KLF-C7 from uBid so that I could have a pair to replace the SB-2's for Front Effects. So, all told I have less than $3K in my Eight Black Legend HT which were bought locally.

I spent $2.7k for the SVS Dual Ultra Sub Tower with a 1000watt Samson amp plus an equalizer to exceed Dolby Reference Level Bass for commercial theaters.

The six speaker, Walnut Oil Heritage Music system came to just under $4k including freight (all bought East of the Mississippi and shipped to San Francisco)... that's a pair of late model K-Horns, a Belle in the center, a pair of Cornwall surrounds, and an Academy Rear Effects.

Less than $10k for two multi-channel Klipsch speaker systems plus an incredible bass system has made me a happy camper. cwm32.gif -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

I was upgrading and was about to buy Legends when I ran across KSP's and,after listening to the KSP's,never looked back. For HT use the KSP's easily won out, to my ears.

I bought 4 Klipsch Synergy Premiere KSP 300's for $248 each and the dealer gave me a 5th KSP300 for free. Bought a pair of timbre matching Klipsch Synergy Premiere KSP-S6's from a dealer, to go with 3 other pair I had, for $340. Had my eye on a new KSP-C6 center at my local dealer for $279 but my BB friend Dave Bohn up in Madison, WI needed one and he bought it. I later found another dealer one for $327.

I and all who listen are happy with my purchases!

Keith

the JBL 4638s were *given* away, they were bargains.

I purchased a ton of stuff from that sale. in shipping costs alone, would have equaled to the total invoice! I'm thinking that the stuff is insurance write-offs from the '94 Northridge earthquake since most of the raw drivers I bought were manufactured prior to that date. Below is *lessons learned* from JBL memo to

distributors

-------------------------------------------------

On The Benefits Of

Natural Disasters

The earthquakes have had a definite impact on how JBL does business, particularly in the way in which inventory and materials are stored. The first-hand experience of having a major quake strike the plant has brought some very interesting things to light. Pallets that were aligned parallel to the fault lines had a tendency to 'walk' with the quake's energy; pallets that were aligned transversely to the fault lines would not move much. In certain areas, where there was quake-generated wave motion things tended to stagger, whereas storage and assembly structures that were aligned on axis to the wave motion remained relatively still. This first-hand knowledge allowed JBL to store the equipment in ways that will make it more resistant to earthquake damage in the future. These reorientations, combined with more efficient ways of securing the stacks at the top and the bottom, have prepared them to face the next batch of tectonic activity more efficiently.

JBL's Northridge facility is billed as the 'Factory of the Future' with good reason. The high level of automation is complemented by the amazing amount of vertical integration present at the facility. To take any more of the processes in-house would probably require planting trees in the foyer and having a retail outlet on the loading dock.

The temptation to make mythic comparisons with the Phoenix rising from the ashes should be avoided. The advances made at Northridge have not been the result of magic, but rather hard work, astute planning and lessons learned at the unforgiving hand of Mother Nature. As a company, JBL seems poised to always stay one step ahead.

This message has been edited by John Warren on 06-08-2002 at 06:36 AM

My fraternity picked up a pair of LaScalas for free. Some of our memebers regularly chaired a committee for the university that used the speakers once per year. Our fraternity agreed to "store" them while they were not being used, 363 days/year. The committee was disbanned for budgetary reasons and the speakers were forgotten about. That's about the best deal I'd hope to run across.

Now only if someone with fortes wanted me to store them for a while, that would be great.

-Scott

------------------

KG-4 Fronts

RC-3 Center

Klipsch Quintet Surrounds

DIY Sub based on Adire Audio Shiva Woofer

Sony DB830

Keep your eyes peeled everywhere. The paper, this board. I got a pair of '87 Cornwall II's oiled oak in perfect condition for $400. Just picked up a pair of '85 KG4's walnut oil in outstanding shape for $100. Found a pair of Herseys at a used record shop, 70's vintage, for $75. They did need a little cabinet work as well as new grill cloth. But with a little Formby's and some grill cloth from Mike Lindsey, the look good. Found a pair of KSP400 at Sound Advice for $700, but I brought them back because I like the live sound of my KLF30's more. Picked up a oak KLF C7 on Ubid for $250 delivery included. Deals are out there, but they don't come to your door.

Seems like no one ever wants to cut me much slack. I paid full retail price for my RF7's. $2200.

Maybe I'm due.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25/ S F Line 1/ S9000ES/ HSU x-over/ SVS CS+/ RF-7 Klipschcones®f>s>

Exigency is the matriarch of ingenious contrivancef>c>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 06-08-2002 at 10:48 PM

John, to my knowledge (audioheritage.org), most all the stuff in the Northridge EQ was destroyed or GONE. I was told by JBL that my 4648A-8 was made in the late 90's.

I am going to dig up some more dirt at audioheritage about the Northridge quake.

One thing, JBL has a kick *** factory now!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Let's see...

Like Doug Drake, an Acurus A200X3 from Ubid but for $560 delivered. Smile.gif

'76 Heresy's from a garage sale for $175. Stained them myself and Boa sent me new cloth (for free).

'90 Oiled Oak Chorus II's in mint condition for $500 (picked up locally).

'89 Finished Black Chorus I's in mint condition for $600 (picked up locally).

Still looking for that elusive pair of Cornwalls and Khorns for bargain basement prices. Smile.gif I'll keep my eyes peeled for them...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Unfortunatly, Reference speakers, especially the 7 series is very hard to come by on the used market, so all my Klispch have been bought new and pretty much full retail cwm25.gif. What few items I have seen on ebay pretty much had high reserves. By the time I figured shipping and such, I'd rather just go to the local dealer and pay thier prices. At least I got excellent customer service, which proved vary valuable, though. I was able to squeak out a 10% discount on them from Tweeters, but that was about all.

I did get a decent deal on the Denon AVR3802, though. I found it online for $800 when everybody else wanted $1000+ for them. I also got a decent deal on my JVC DVD player. Circuit City had it on sale for $170 when they where normally about $230-$250. For the price, it turned out to be an excellent DVD player.

I picked up my old setup dirt cheap. A full packaged Yamaha setup including the reciever. Normally, it was a $1000 system, but I got it for $600 from Sears (this was way before any place that sold anything that even resembled high-end was in this area, about 5 years ago). I bought their floor model. I added the Infinity speakers later.

As mentioned in another post in another thread, I may put myself together a "music only" system. I plan on trying to score a used pair of LaScalas if I can (I've seen some go for around $700 or so a pair).

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)