The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

On that transformers movie, the bald headed guy sounds like crap on my system. I've tried all kinds of stuff and it still sounds like crap. I don't know if it is the recording or if he is hitting frequencies that my RC-64ii doesn't like but his voice doesn't sound natural.

Watched focus last night with will smith and some good looking blonde. Great movie I thought. Only thing I disliked was that it was 16x9. I don't care for 16x9 in my basement. I usually will just watch them upstairs but leaving on vacation soon so wanted to get some theater time before we leave.

• Like 1

Been watching a lot of this over the past few days. Good stuff.

Atmos fully active is nice & my display ain't too bad either.

GwHpfl.jpg

pics look good. Do you not care for dynamic eq? I used to hate it and was dead set against it but now I love it. Keeps me from turning the volume up so high. Or having to run subs hot.

As much as possible, I prefer to send a native signal & try to avoid any (artificial conversion) or compression. Naturally source material does vary; but in my space with (older) DD material, I can usually go 69-73 from start to finish no problem. Honestly with Transformers AoE... 70 can be a bit much. I might punch it up there for certain scenes (limited use), however normal volume for T AoE & similar DTS / Atmos material is around 65-68.  Being single, (with no kids) I don't have the lower level constraints of a typical family environment. I'll give DEQ & DV a test at lower levels & see how much punch is lost (if at all).

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

On that transformers movie, the bald headed guy sounds like crap on my system. I've tried all kinds of stuff and it still sounds like crap. I don't know if it is the recording or if he is hitting frequencies that my RC-64ii doesn't like but his voice doesn't sound natural.

Hmmm.  I've not experienced any issues with Stanley Tucci. In fact, T AoE might be one of the best reference quality audio tracks available. You should be able to generate a solid result with the disc. Strange that its only evident (isolated) with something so specific. 

Gravity Diamond Luxe Edition with Atmos & Silent Space version (where the entire movie's score is removed).

The past couple weeks I've added speakers, replaced wire & connections for all 6 surrounds, calibrated & dialed in the new setup.

Tonight it was nice to sit back & just enjoy the show.

SVPQHl.jpg

jFQ2Oc.jpg

m2i0SB.jpg

Been watching a lot of this over the past few days. Good stuff.

Atmos fully active is nice & my display ain't too bad either.

GwHpfl.jpg

pics look good. Do you not care for dynamic eq? I used to hate it and was dead set against it but now I love it. Keeps me from turning the volume up so high. Or having to run subs hot.

As much as possible, I prefer to send a native signal & try to avoid any (artificial conversion) or compression. Naturally source material does vary; but in my space with (older) DD material, I can usually go 69-73 from start to finish no problem. Honestly with Transformers AoE... 70 can be a bit much. I might punch it up there for certain scenes (limited use), however normal volume for T AoE & similar DTS / Atmos material is around 65-68. Being single, (with no kids) I don't have the lower level constraints of a typical family environment. I'll give DEQ & DV a test at lower levels & see how much punch is lost (if at all).

dynamic volume is terrible. I hate what it does. But dynamic eq will basically bump up subs, center, and surrounds a bit and just make it seem like the volume is louder when it's really not. And you should change your volume to relative where it turns from negative up to 0 (reference) then everyone will know how loud your talking. Cause honestly I have no clue how loud 65-70 is? Relative is easy cause if you are at -10 then you are exactly 10db below reference volume? Just a suggestion anyways.

dynamic volume is terrible. I hate what it does. But dynamic eq will basically bump up subs, center, and surrounds a bit and just make it seem like the volume is louder when it's really not. And you should change your volume to relative where it turns from negative up to 0 (reference) then everyone will know how loud your talking. Cause honestly I have no clue how loud 65-70 is? Relative is easy cause if you are at -10 then you are exactly 10db below reference volume? Just a suggestion anyways.

Funny, I used to use reference level (volume) but would always have to explain it when friends & family were over (why is your volume negative? That can't be right? lol). "70" works out to be the equivalent  of -10db. "65" is -15db.

I'll play with D EQ later this week. Never applied it (thought it brought things down for night time & didn't send LFE thru the walls etc.) Interesting that D EQ actually "bumps" (simulates) them higher ((concentrated) when actually listening at lower volume levels.

There is lf containment option but just leave that off. It's awful as well. Such a dumb option to add. You can just as easily turn off sub and not add the extra cost to write in the software. And also I looked back up the absolute volume and it looked like 82 is reference. Now not sure if the units are 1db each. If so 70 would be like -12. I guess I could turn the volume up to -12 and switch it and see what it changes to.

For me reference works out to "80".  So its right in there near 82. 

Transformers AoE (in my space) at Reference Level (80-82)... I'd go deaf quickly. (lol)

66 to 68 is excellent though.  (-14db -12db)

Edited by Nismo

My calibrator basically said Audessey is very wrong on reference level calibrations, cranked mine up pretty high. I've been watching stuff at -30 db ever since. Played a game at -42 last night. Just kind of ridiculous. Ain't no telling how far off everybody is on this stuff.

sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree with your calibrator on this one. while i did hear from my buddies that all the brands different room corrections vary when at the main volume of 0, my receiver plays spot on reference levels at reference on my volume which is -1 on mine. 

Trying to figure out what level someone else is listening at is hard since the volume reading is different depending on avr type, model, brand, and room.  Every once in awhile I will hookup the Omnimic just to see what the spl readings are.  I guess it just comes down to a comfort zone and not having your ears ringing at the end of the movie.

I would like to add... I reached reference level for a (literally) a second, only for the purpose of switching over to see where it fell with the other scale on my AVR. Every room/set up is unique (with different listening distances etc.) but it in my space, it was most uncomfortable (even for a second). Until you fully understand your room/space... exercise caution & consider appropriate ear protection prior to testing-playing at those levels.

Edited by Nismo

Ummmm..... aah.... yeah. I was looking forward to this movie. Sci-fi. Great concept & potential featuring AI. 

Plus, this was the 1st DTS:X available on Blu-ray. But, its kinda like having the 1st Air Conditioner at the North Pole.

Who cares? Especially since the movie never has the opportunity to use or showcase DTS:X.

After seeing Jupiter Ascending, I didn't think it was possible to see a worse movie this year.

Congratulations Ex Machina, you are worse. Much, much worse.

cNV42c.jpg