The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

Finally watched MAD CHARLIZE... errr.... I mean MAD MAX.

Dayum !!

What an audio & visual feast. The LFE was powerful, precise & unrelenting throughout. The Atmos track was excellent, the audio filled & surrounded the room like no other movie I can remember. It felt like I was in the middle of the action from start to finish. Move over Transformers AoE... there's a new Atmos demo disc in town. Wow. I only watched the standard version so far... but going to watch the 3D version tonight. 

MxZjYC.jpg

• Like 2

Finally watched MAD CHARLIZE... errr.... I mean MAD MAX.

Watched it a few days ago. Definitely gave the speakers a workout!

You need to put a projector and big screen on your short list Nismo. IMHO, single best upgrade you can make to a home theater.

• Like 1

I'll have to consider the projector possibility. But my space is only 13' x 16' (orientated horizontally). So as it is now, I'm only about 8' away from the 70" Sharp. But, with a screen... it could be moved back, 2-or-3 feet further way. A 105" screen would be insane in my space.... in a crazy good way. 

But yeah... the audio in MAD MAX was wicked in every sense.

Edited by Nismo

When you watch the guitar guy, just remember, that entire rig was real. He was really playing, on bungees, that truck really worked, and the drummers were real. Flame thrower was even real. Guitar guy wasn't CGI. The only thing that was fake was that the music you actually hear was mixed in after filming. While filming was going on, he was shredding to AC/DC and whatnot. There was an amp hidden under him that was just blasting out classic riffs that he was playing. And the back story is that the mask he was wearing was his dead mother's face, taken off of her severed head, that the top bad guy was holding when guitar guy discovered him. He was adopted, learned to play music, and apparently he is blind, so he's the one that rallies the troops. True story.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

After last nights performance, I was all amped to watch MAD MAX in 3D tonight. My display & active glasses always do an outstanding job with a well executed 3D transfer. So... I fire up the disc, the intro starts....  :huh:.  Somethings not right, the impact, power & experience from last night was not there. I reach for the remote to check volume, or if any compression was on, etc.. All's normal. Check the mode, ahh that's right.... the 3D disc is TrueHD 7.1 (not Atmos). Within 15 seconds of the opening chapter the difference was so apparent I instantly checked my settings to see what was wrong. Tom Hardy's voice, the other "voices", the crunch, the rumble of the cars... were all localized, with less punch. Last night the same intro totally filled the room as if I was actually standing in the scene. I watched the 3D version for a few minutes more, jumping to other chapters but the impact, power & immersive audio from last night still missing. The 3D will have to wait for another day. Swapped it for the Atmos version & everything came back to life. 

Scrappy, I have to disagree. Not sure what setups the local guys have, but MAD MAX in Atmos is the best HT I've ever experienced. Heads & shoulders above anything else. I have the Dolby Atmos Demo disc & the first 2 minutes of MAD MAX is better than anything on the demo disc (the whole MAD MAX disc is excellent). The best stuff from the Dolby Demo disc are the 3 (short) tracks that feature "rain". I can say the "rain & thunder" featured on John Wick is far better than the demo disc. And the Atmos track of MAD MAX is far superior than the TrueHD 7.1 track, no comparison.

• Like 1

I may watch to Mad Max this weekend.

For the whole movie my towers & center rumbled & growled with the base punching you in the face. The LFE was perfectly aggressive & seemed non-stop. I can't imagine the power & impact it would have in your space. Man you're gonna have fun.

I have been hear the action and sounds for Mad Max are great.  Nismo, I need some of those atmos speakers. This way I will once again have more speakers than subs in the room, lol.

MAD MAX audio is crazy good. As I mentioned earlier, by far the best Atmos Blu-ray available. I had a smile on my face for the entire movie. My Dolby Demo disc is obsolete because MAD MAX is a better demo. Hope you have the chance to start an Atmos setup at home, one can never have too m any speakers. lol  

Last night the same intro totally filled the room as if I was actually standing in the scene. I watched the 3D version for a few minutes more, jumping to other chapters but the impact, power & immersive audio from last night still missing. The 3D will have to wait for another day. Swapped it for the Atmos version & everything came back to life.

That sounds so odd, surely there can't be two completely different audio tracks.  How do you account for the missing audio?  (what is your best guess?)

I Googled the problem and no one else has mentioned it.  This web site gives the 3-D version audio 4.8 out of 5 Stars.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mad-Max-Fury-Road-3D-Blu-ray/130476/

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Last night the same intro totally filled the room as if I was actually standing in the scene. I watched the 3D version for a few minutes more, jumping to other chapters but the impact, power & immersive audio from last night still missing. The 3D will have to wait for another day. Swapped it for the Atmos version & everything came back to life.

That sounds so odd, surely there can't be two completely different audio tracks.  How do you account for the missing audio?  (what is your best guess?)

I Googled the problem and no one else has mentioned it.  This web site gives the 3-D version audio 4.8 out of 5 Stars.

Just like the Atmos releases of Gravity, Transformers, Divergent (and other 2D / 3D combo packs), only the standard 2D disc contains the Atmos track. The separate 3D disc is authored in Dolby TrueHD 7.1

To date there has not been a 3D version authored in Atmos (only the films  standard 2D counterpart has been offered with the Atmos track). It must be a space/compression issue. Or, a greed issue for the inevitable double (or triple) dip with a future release. Gravity was initially released in 2D, with DD TrueHD 7.1. Then months later is was offered in a separate Diamond Luxe Edition with an Atmos 2D disc & 3D non-Atmos disc. I'm sure by the Holiday they will have the obligatory triple dip & release a "Super-Diamond-Platinum-Double-Secret-Edition" with a 3D Atmos disc. (lol)  

As far as reviews go... I've seen countless so called  "professional" reviews (on sites I'm sure we all visit) of Atmos Blu-rays, offering both positive & negative audio reviews.... yet the reviewer doesn't even have an Atmos AVR or Height speakers in place!?! (lol) They often even mention the fact they don't have Atmos capabilities in closing comments (or in their gear list) Kinda lame. How can you be critical of an Atmos audio track... when you can't even play it? 

With MAD MAX, it's not a technical issue or defective authoring for the 3D version. It's just that like every other 3D title, Atmos is only available on the standard 2D version.  And in the case of MAD MAX the 2D Atmos disc is so encompassing, that the cars, bikes, engines, soundtrack, music, explosions, voice overs are all so well executed.... it fills the room & surrounds you better than any previous Atmos title. By comparison, it makes the regular (non-Atmos) DD TrueHD track on the 3D disc seem flat & one dimensional. That's how good the Atmos MAD MAX track is authored. Best I've heard. 

• Like 1

Case in point... I just read the 4.8 out of 5 star review from your link. Yet the reviewer does not have Atmos capabilities.

=========================

X1sw2z.png

========================

Same with many of the reviews at High-Def Digest, I've seen them give negative reviews to an Atmos track & that particular reviewer doesn't have the gear or speakers to play Atmos. 

After last nights performance, I was all amped to watch MAD MAX in 3D tonight. My display & active glasses always do an outstanding job with a well executed 3D transfer. So... I fire up the disc, the intro starts.... :huh:. Somethings not right, the impact, power & experience from last night was not there. I reach for the remote to check volume, or if any compression was on, etc.. All's normal. Check the mode, ahh that's right.... the 3D disc is TrueHD 7.1 (not Atmos). Within 15 seconds of the opening chapter the difference was so apparent I instantly checked my settings to see what was wrong. Tom Hardy's voice, the other "voices", the crunch, the rumble of the cars... were all localized, with less punch. Last night the same intro totally filled the room as if I was actually standing in the scene. I watched the 3D version for a few minutes more, jumping to other chapters but the impact, power & immersive audio from last night still missing. The 3D will have to wait for another day. Swapped it for the Atmos version & everything came back to life.

Scrappy, I have to disagree. Not sure what setups the local guys have, but MAD MAX in Atmos is the best HT I've ever experienced. Heads & shoulders above anything else. I have the Dolby Atmos Demo disc & the first 2 minutes of MAD MAX is better than anything on the demo disc (the whole MAD MAX disc is excellent). The best stuff from the Dolby Demo disc are the 3 (short) tracks that feature "rain". I can say the "rain & thunder" featured on John Wick is far better than the demo disc. And the Atmos track of MAD MAX is far superior than the TrueHD 7.1 track, no comparison.

well the one who had the atmos setup is a very well known Avs member and has 11 identical speakers for his 7.1.4 setup. They are 10" Mackie speakers with same size compression driver as the rf-7ii. He also has the denon x7200. 8 sealed ultimax 18's for

The low end. And if I remember about 20,000 watts of rms power from crown amps. No slouch of a setup for sure.

I know they tried the 3d with the atmos mix and simply turned off the ceiling speakers in the menu. Maybe that is the difference. They said it was there. Just subtle. You make it sound like going from stereo TV speakers to full on surround sound. Like the ol Bose demos where they play am radio for a second then crank reference on a bond movie. Lol

Edited by Scrappydue

Sounds like he's assembling a great system with the monitors. If his mild assessment of Atmos was based on the 3D disc... I would agree. Because the 3D disc does not have an Atmos track. His 2D disc (with Atmos) should sound strikingly different than the 3D disc. And as always, its not just the overhead speakers that will make the difference with Atmos. With the 2D Atmos disc, all of his speakers, including the LFE, will be have distinctly different content sent to them.... compared to the 3D disc which only has the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track (there should be nothing subtle between the 2 different tracks with his setup). If I lived closer I 'd love to hear his system, & likewise I'd invite him to demo my setup. MAD MAX in Atmos is the best thing I;ve ever heard on my HT... it should be the same for him. I can't help you with the Bose...  I don't have a clue as to how their demos sound (lol). 

Edited by Nismo

I'm gonna go check his atmos stuff the next couple days. And there is NO WAY you are in this hobby and have never walked by a Bose setup in store and hit demo.

Umm, sure there is.  It's been at least 10-12 years since I've been to a store that even carries Bose. Going back even further to my very first HT setup, my friends brother actually had Bose in his house & my humble Def Tech Pro Cinema sounded way better than his little cubes. From my Def Tech's, I auditioned Klipsch, Sonus Faber, Martin Logan's. I did like & lived next to Bang & Olufsen, always appreciated their design, but & never had an interest in Bose. I never pushed a Bose button for demo, I never knew there was a button to push. (lol)