The last Blu-ray you watched.

liebherr954

Spartacus...... Is one of my all time favorites. I can remember seeing it on Family Classics..... And then we all had to play gladiators after...... How did our parents ever make it through it????

I saw the sneak preview of Spartacus in a theater in 1960, with Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis, (Curtis's wife) Janet Leigh, and studio people present.  (I hasten to say I was very, very young!).  The preview version was much more violent than either of the later release versions.  People I chatted with afterward called it a "bloodbath," but still liked it.  It was the most violent film I had seen until movies like Taxi Driver and Gangs of New York came out years later.  Still, I'll bet there wasn't a dry eye in the house at the end.

I saw the Director's Cut of Spartacus in the last ultra-wide screen here ~1990. An extremely well done film that still holds up today.

Anything directed by Sam Peckinpah (e.g. his film The Wild Bunch) was also pretty graphic back in the day.

Yes, Peckinpah was graphic. 

I guess what put the preview version of Spartacus over the top was the repeated shots of burning and charred half alive bodies rolling toward the camera in a battle scene. 

Did you know that Peckinpah worked for Disney briefly?  I think that would be in about 1963.  He was to direct Little Britches.  In a film magazine interview he said Walt was "a tough idealist."  I don't know what happened to that project.  Maybe they stopped getting along, both being rather strong personalities.

Edited by garyrc

Just finished San Andreas. Not a great story, but man did it sound awesome. Anyone with a decent Atmos system should really enjoy it, lots and lots of surround information on this track.

I expect the story to be rather predictable fare, but hopefully much better than the horrible "2012" (with Cusack). Basically getting it for Atmos Ear Candy. My copy should arrive by the weekend. Bugs me that Furious7, Jurassic Park & Ultron didn't get Atmos... but San Andreas does. Oh well.

If you ride (or just like bikes & motor sports) this will be a great Blu-ray to check out. This new effort is 40+ years from the original documentary On Any Sunday (1971) by Australian film maker Bruce Brown (which included Steve McQueen & other riders of the day).  

On Any Sunday the Next Chapter (2014), by Dana Brown (Bruce Brown's son) captures the love affair with today's bike culture. Covering everything from MotoGP, Motocross, Bonneville, Pikes Peak, Daredevil Robbie Madison & even your everyday riders both young & old. The father, Bruce Brown is known for his many award winning surfer documentaries such as Endless Summer. His son, Dana Brown also brought us; Step into Liquid & Baja 1000.

On Any Sunday, the Next Chapter is released with an Atmos track & while its not going to blast you like a Hollywood blockbuster, it does provide an effective sense of realism throughout. The audio is always crisp, precise & accurate, helping to put you right in the middle of the action.  If you enjoy bikes, you'll certainly enjoy On Any Sunday, the Next Chapter. I had a smile on my face from start to finish.

qlSfK2.jpg

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 2

I liked this one. A slight throwback hinting to a Roger More's Bond, fresh, raw, zany, with a touch of British sophistication. Samuel Jackson stunk the place up with his phoned-in performance, but I was fun to watch. PQ & AQ was excellent. Look forward to a sequel, it has promise with new Kingsman, Taron Egerton in the lead role.

N9LYBu.jpg  

• Like 1

I liked this one. A slight throwback hinting to a Roger More's Bond, fresh, raw, zany, with a touch of British sophistication. Samuel Jackson stunk the place up with his phoned-in performance, but I was fun to watch. PQ & AQ was excellent. Look forward to a sequel, it has promise with new Kingsman, Taron Egerton in the lead role.

N9LYBu.jpg

full of F bombs. That's about how I would describe this one.

After HBO's Deadwood (2004-2006)... nothing has too many F-bombs.

They were present, but certainly not unlike many other R rated movies with similar content.

Lol; Deadwood is the only show I've ever watched where I've actually been a little offended by the language. I can watch Dexter or Sopranos and be less offended.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm a big space junkie. I have many of the NatGeo, Discovery & IMAX Blu-rays (Journey to the Edge of the Universe, Space Station 3D, Wonders of the Universe, etc). As is the case with most titles of this genre, they often have short run times & are expensive. I also have many 3D Blu-rays from IMAX & others and Hubble in 3D is one of the best offerings. 

The actual IMAX footage shot from the Shuttle & the Hubble are crisp, detailed & vivid, even better than anything depicted in Gravity. The animated sequences are some of the best I've seen, offering a great sense of "traveling" thru the vastness of space & putting you right in the middle of distant galaxies.  Likewise, the 3D treatments are executed very well, the Shuttle launches, underwater training & spacewalks are excellent examples of 3D.

It took me a long time to finally get around to viewing this title, but very glad I did. Hubble in 3D is impressive & is highly recommended.    

df17O9.jpg

• Like 1

Just finished San Andreas: A great action movie.  Similar to 2012 or other disaster movie but, this one kept me on the edge of my set with the crushing sound effects.  Good character development.  This is a must rent if you like these type of movies.  I ran this movie with my new house curve, nothing hot.  I got up twice in the movie to see if the house was still in one piece, lol.

• Like 1

All my subs were sent back (or packed away), new ones aren't here yet. So something straight forward tonight that the towers can handle.

Always love this one, haven't watched it in awhile. Great energy & fresh creative approach. Could watch it over & over & over again.   :wink:  

zNmrdSG.jpg

• Like 1

Well finally watched age of ultron today. What people said about volume was spot on. Watched the whole thing at reference. Did they drop the ball? Yes. Was it as bad as people were saying? Absolutely not. There were parts I thought could have had more dynamics but overall it was good. No bass?? Come on! I run my subs 4db hot now and there was no shortage of bass at my place. Even watched a few scenes over (specifically the building crumbling scene) at actual reference levels with subs hotter and wow! Also, since movie was over a bit before my normal quittin time I threw back in San Andreas. Watched the whole Hoover dam scene at a couple db below reference. It was nuts. Replayed a portion of it again and went outside my house and listened. Still amazes me how much my old house holds in. You can barely hear it outside my house. I mean it's nuts. However I did place my palms on part of the foundation behind the falsewall where everything sits. You actually feel the concrete shaking slightly. As cool as it was I doubt it's very good for a foundation to move like that.

Edited by Scrappydue
  • Like 2

If you ride (or just like bikes & motor sports) this will be a great Blu-ray to check out. This new effort is 40+ years from the original documentary On Any Sunday (1971) by Australian film maker Bruce Brown (which included Steve McQueen & other riders of the day).  

On Any Sunday the Next Chapter (2014), by Dana Brown (Bruce Brown's son) captures the love affair with today's bike culture. Covering everything from MotoGP, Motocross, Bonneville, Pikes Peak, Daredevil Robbie Madison & even your everyday riders both young & old. The father, Bruce Brown is known for his many award winning surfer documentaries such as Endless Summer. His son, Dana Brown also brought us; Step into Liquid & Baja 1000.

On Any Sunday, the Next Chapter is released with an Atmos track & while its not going to blast you like a Hollywood blockbuster, it does provide an effective sense of realism throughout. The audio is always crisp, precise & accurate, helping to put you right in the middle of the action.  If you enjoy bikes, you'll certainly enjoy On Any Sunday, the Next Chapter. I had a smile on my face from start to finish.

qlSfK2.jpg

Lots of goodness in that regard on Moto 6/Moto 4 on Netflix. Of ocurse it's not on the Atmos demo disc either though.