Scotch drinkers.

CECAA850

Unlike many, my first forays into Scotch were brought about by Scot Para friends who suggested I try Glenfiddich...and if too broke to afford it, then try Teacher's blended. To this day, I am still a fan of Glenfiddich...and I still like to make my Gaelic coffee using Teachers with a bit of sweet heavy cream. Since I am by no means wealthy, but have been lucky enough to have tried a number of very well-regarded Scotch whiskies, I have my preferences. I do not rely on the preferences of others in order to establish my own preferences, but I have determined that many so-called experts have preferred particular Scotch selections which I have simply not found to be so pleasing to my own tastes. I also do not ascribe favor to a particular selection solely due to it commanding a high price...I have honestly tried some very costly selections which have not been highly favored by me, but which have been very highly touted by the so-called experts. So, there you have it...please don't expect high praise from me for some Scotch selection that does not satisfy my personal tastes. My opinion is that this should also be the case for anybody, but it seems many all too often are allowing the so-called experts to determine what their personal tastes SHOULD be instead of making those decisions themselves.

I am my own person...I will remain so. I have always practiced that individual freedom, my extensive time in defense of my country makes me feel that I have earned that right and I intend to continue its practice.

This applies to many more things than opinions of whiskies. If you expect me to praise something just because the majority does so, you may be quite surprised at times by my responses. The upside to this is that you will get honesty from me, whether you like it or not.

I wrote this after a double taste of Caribbean Cask Balvenie, which was pretty good...and assisted me in my cleaning and lube of my Certina DS turtleback. EVERY watch collector should have at least ONE Certina DS or DS2 Turtleback...they are FINE instruments of time-telling!

Merry Christmas to all, and may a few fine Scotch Whiskies pass your lips this season!

If you life Glenfiddich but not the price go and try Grants which is owned by William Grants and Son which is parent company to Glenfiddich.

White Horse is another cheap blended scotch that does well, both according to the scotch bible. I tasted both and they are both not bad while in the 10-15 dollar range.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm glad the collective recomended something. He really liked it. I had to try some as I haven't had Scotch in years. Hate to say it, but it's not for me. I'll have to stick to my Gin and Vodka. Different strokes as they say. I do sincerely appreciate the input though.

Carl

have you tried them?

Yeah I tried bose over at a relative's house. Wasn't very impressed. On the subject of scotch I love the different varieties, there is quite a nice variation from the differing locales. It's hard to choose a single favorite from all the available single malts, which I do prefer over the blends.

You have probably already purchased something, but for future reference, Balvenie has come out with a doublewood variation. After the normal maturation in the whiskey cast, they finish it off for a few months in a sherry cast. Really, really smooth.

Great tip... I may head to the package store today and see if it is carried here locally.

What a pleasant surprise to find this in my stocking on Christmas morning. Just what Santa ordered....

DSC_0212.jpg?t=1356654136

I received a lagavilin 16 for Xmas 8-) Laphroig is close to it but lagavilin is out there on its own. It is really big Islay Scotch.

Next time try ardbeg uigeadail

I like the Ardbeg had some this year at the Roque Manor. They have a great scotch selection. The Lagavulin is the only scotch I've found that does smokey peaty and iodine flavors so well and big.

I've had both and the Lagavulin 16 at now around 80-90 dollars not so much fun. It was 40-50 before but it just goes up up up. The uigeadail was a game changer for me. For some odd reason it was the one that stood out when I went to a liquor store venue/convention. My manager at the time gave me the tickets and I went down the line with every scotch from all the different woods of glenmorangie to ardbeg. The one that was at first harsh but in the middle quite unique was this. It retails around 90 but I saw it on sale for 68 dollars. I picked it up immediately.

I've had both and the Lagavulin 16 at now around 80-90 dollars not so much fun. It was 40-50 before but it just goes up up up. The uigeadail was a game changer for me. For some odd reason it was the one that stood out when I went to a liquor store venue/convention. My manager at the time gave me the tickets and I went down the line with every scotch from all the different woods of glenmorangie to ardbeg. The one that was at first harsh but in the middle quite unique was this. It retails around 90 but I saw it on sale for 68 dollars. I picked it up immediately.

It is 110 here 8-( I know what you mean as everyone has a certain flavor combo that hits them just right. For me unfortunately that is Lagavulin but it wasn't high dollar when I found it. I'm hoping to find something I like more but it hasn't happened yet. There is an Irish Whishkey called Conemara that started me off down this trail as it has that peaty flavor which is great.

If anyone is into Irish Whiskey you must try Red Breast. Haven't had a Bushmills or Jameson or Powers since I found it.

It is 110 here 8-( I know what you mean as everyone has a certain flavor combo that hits them just right. For me unfortunately that is Lagavulin but it wasn't high dollar when I found it. I'm hoping to find something I like more but it hasn't happened yet. There is an Irish Whishkey called Conemara that started me off down this trail as it has that peaty flavor which is great.

If anyone is into Irish Whiskey you must try Red Breast. Haven't had a Bushmills or Jameson or Powers since I found it.

You dirty man... j/k

1.) GLENMORANGIE (Single Malt 25 yr. Old, excellent, best I've ever had, but obscenely expensive and very hard to find)

2.) " (Single Malt 18 yr. Old,..... almost as flavorful, and easy to drink as the 25 yr. old, but at a fraction of the cost)

3.) Johnny Walker Blue Lable

4.) The Glenlevit (Single Malt 21 yr. old)

All of the above are excellent and preferred straight up, or chilled and on the rocks.

I don't drink that much hard liquor (or beer), but when I do it's Scotch, and usually go for the Glenmorangie, when that's not around then it's a toss between Johnny Walker or Glenlevit. There are plenty of other good choices, but these are my favorites..... together with a good cigar, a fishing pole or a hunting rifle.

• 2 months later...

The Lagavulin is the only scotch I've found that does smokey peaty and iodine flavors so well and big.

I just got a bottle of this today - sort of reminds me of the aftermath of a house fire...no...really [+o(]

I guess that my taste buds go more toward The Balvenie (Doublewood), Glenmorangie (10), Glenfiddich (12 or 15), etc., which are more to my tastes and olfactory lobes than the "Islay" varieties.

I also didn't care much for MacAllan - a bit on the out-there-in-the open-for-everyone-to-see kind of taste.

YMMV.

Chris

Actually, I'm somewhat amazed by the variations of some of the scotches available. My initiation into single malts was in fact recent, so I suppose my taste buds haven't "adapted" to stronger tastes.

My taste in music reproduction is apparently also the same, although my initiation into music has a much longer history, and now I like very good classical and other acoustic recordings, and find myself listening to much less amplified music nowadays. I prefer a bit more neutral and less stylized presentation, the same as for scotch...not that scotch has a neutral aroma but it can be fairly complex and subtle, just like music if you start with the right "stuff".

When I opened the Lagavulin it wasn't subtle: a very strong iodine and burned wood "bouquet" overrode the less obvious elements. In fact my significant other gave me most of her tasting sample. I found that it took me a while to consume it.

Chris