For You Smokers Who Know You Need to Quit

Jeff Matthews

I've been smoking for 31 years. I am 44 years old. As of late, I have started coughing in the night - just that much more reason for the logical part of my mind to nag me about how I am killing myself slowly.

A few years ago, I took a drag off an ecigarette - those less harmful (maybe harmless) vapor cig-a-likes. It was gross! Gross! One drag was enough to defeat the idea that I would give up smoking.

The other day, I looked into ecigarettes again. Read up on how much better/pleasant it has become. I bought a Riva 510 model due to its populatory and good reviews.

Result: It is good! Very much like Marlboro Lights, Camel, etc. - only a bit sweeter tasting. It delivers the nicotene in various strengths. I went with the 18 mg strength on salesperson's suggestion.

This is the first time in many, many years where I have not had even the slightest urge for an analog cigarette. This new ecig satisfies just fine.

Plus, I get to smoke indoors, in restaurants, in the grocery store, in the car next to my wife who strongly detests cigarettes and would prohibit it. I didn't have to go out into the cold once today to puff away until my heart's desire.

I will quit smoking with this gadget. Glad I found it, Really glad.

I have no connection at all with any seller of these products. Just wanted to let you die-hard smokers know that the alternative really is pretty dam good! Best wishes!

P.S. I have read many people's advice to not buy a cheap-arse ecig, or you will hate it, forget it and go right on back to smoking the analogs. My starter kit was $45 delivered.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My theory is to get the nicotene out of your body ASAP. Sure nicotene gum, patches, ecigs might save the lungs a bit (notwithstanding what they do to other parts of the body) but in order to stop the addition you have to stop administering the addictive substance. If a cocaine addict was trying to quit cocaine, you don't do it by giving him cocaine. My way was cold turkey with rewards (at first every day, then every week, then every month). Rewards are so personal and I can't recommend anything other than to suggest to reward with what you would like be doing if it was your last day on the planet...something that will blow your mind with pleasure. Set aside some "reward money" and believe this is one of the few things where the end justifies the means.

I don't expect this theory to work for everyone so good luck with your method and hope it works for you and others who try it.

• Moderators

Hope it works out well, good luck, I know how you feel and I did try the cheap models and it was ok but they would usuialy die out really quickly.

Need to try again.

Did you order online or a local place ?

Could not find anything local, or I would have. Ordered from Liberty Flights. I got the Riva 510-T starter kit. I also bought 5 five-milliliter bottles of juice of different types, all in the 18 mg nicotene strength:

PG Hotel

PG RY4

PG Churchill

VG Flue-Cured

VG RY4

They really all seem quite similar to me, but others say they are very different to them. YMMV.

Total was $45 delivered Priority Mail from San Diego.

You know I've been around this forum for a long time and wouldn't BS a product. So, there you go.

I will be getting some fruit flavor samples next. Oddly, I did not think I would be interested in fruits, etc., but now that I have experienced this thing, I am very much open to the idea.

The flavors I got, listed above, are comparable to a sweeter-tasting Marlboro Light, Camel Light. First impression out of the box was - hmmm. I could do this for sure, but it's not all that great a replica of cigs. That was last night (my package arrived 4:00 p.m. yesterday). By mid-morning today, flavor was much improved. Even BETTER than the actual cigs I was smoking. I have read a few times where people said you have to allow a new atomizer a short burn-in period for best flavor. I guess so.....

Anyway, I appreciate the cold-turkey approach, and more power to those who can pull it off. I once quit for 3 years cold turkey when I was about 20 years old (smoking 7 years at that time). There is no way I'd ever make it cold turkey 31 years into it. That's just me. I suppose I'm a weaker victim to the habit.

Anyway, I have found my way to get rid of all the carcinogens and lung damage. That's good enough for me. Very, very happy.... My basketball game is going to get a heck of a lot better (I still play).

Good luck Jeff....

Do you think, maybe, that you should have waited until after the Alamo Bowl game to start this program.... lol... Go Horns!

LOL!!!!

Honestly, if this vaping thing is really substantially safer, then it could not have come a minute too soon. It's BS to feel the damage you are doing to yourself, to stink of cigs and to be mostly ostracized for the habit. What a game-changer!

• Moderators

Thanks I will try them.

About a year ago I was down to a couple a day just by cutting back, smoke a little put it out and come back later. I decided to go on a diet, well the diet worked #50 but being distracted I started smoking again.

My theory is to get the nicotene out of your body ASAP. Sure nicotene gum, patches, ecigs might save the lungs a bit (notwithstanding what they do to other parts of the body) but in order to stop the addition you have to stop administering the addictive substance. If a cocaine addict was trying to quit cocaine, you don't do it by giving him cocaine. My way was cold turkey with rewards (at first every day, then every week, then every month). Rewards are so personal and I can't recommend anything other than to suggest to reward with what you would like be doing if it was your last day on the planet...something that will blow your mind with pleasure. Set aside some "reward money" and believe this is one of the few things where the end justifies the means.

I don't expect this theory to work for everyone so good luck with your method and hope it works for you and others who try it.

Good for you! Cocaine is almost as addictive as nicotine.

Good luck to everyone!

Thanks I will try them.

Yeah. Let me know what you think. Just for grins, since all the tobacco-flavors taste similar (to me), I'd recommend you go with the PG Churchill, maybe 2 other tobacco flavors and 2 fruit-flavors (maybe blueberry and something else). The flavors have reviews. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the fruits. As for me, I will finish up on my 5 tobaccos before ordering some fruits. So, maybe you will have tried a few fruits before I place my next order, and I will have the benefit of your reviews.

Jeff,

Thanks for the write up on these, I am not a heavy smoker but my wife is. I quit cold turkey as well for about 4 years then about 2 years ago I enjoyed cigars(still do). But that lead me back to the cigarettes. I can go all day and even all week without one, but when my wife goes out for one after dinner, or when I am out drinking its hard not to for the social aspect. About 2 weeks ago I had taken my son over to his friends house were come to fin out his friends dad was a old friend of mine(whole another story all on its own). Well he was walking around with this metal object that looked like a pipe, I thought is this guy toking it up around my kid, maybe I shouldn't leave me kid here with him. Then I asked it turned out to be one of the ecigs, he told me all about it. He used to be a 2 packs a day kind of guy. Said he started with a high mg of nicotine, and now down to 6 mgs. He was a big Marlboro brand kind of guy and is now using the grape flavor. He says there's lots of info out there such as replacing the wicks, and making your own oils. I thought about giving this a try, and now with all the testimonies I will, and try and convince my wife to give it a try. He said you can even get a cigar flavored oil.

Jeff,

Thanks for the write up on these, I am not a heavy smoker but my wife is. I quit cold turkey as well for about 4 years then about 2 years ago I enjoyed cigars(still do). But that lead me back to the cigarettes. I can go all day and even all week without one, but when my wife goes out for one after dinner, or when I am out drinking its hard not to for the social aspect. About 2 weeks ago I had taken my son over to his friends house were come to fin out his friends dad was a old friend of mine(whole another story all on its own). Well he was walking around with this metal object that looked like a pipe, I thought is this guy toking it up around my kid, maybe I shouldn't leave me kid here with him. Then I asked it turned out to be one of the ecigs, he told me all about it. He used to be a 2 packs a day kind of guy. Said he started with a high mg of nicotine, and now down to 6 mgs. He was a big Marlboro brand kind of guy and is now using the grape flavor. He says there's lots of info out there such as replacing the wicks, and making your own oils. I thought about giving this a try, and now with all the testimonies I will, and try and convince my wife to give it a try. He said you can even get a cigar flavored oil.

We are flying to the UK this summer. Perhaps this will make my wife better company on the trip. I assume they are legal on flights....

Yeah Jeff, good luck man. I tried several times to quit as well before i was successful. I too felt many of the same things you felt including coughing, and chest pains etc. That did it for me. It doesnt matter which mechanism you use to quit as long as you quit. The ecig's were quite new at that time. It was the patch for me.

It truely is a state of mind first. They say that it only takes 4-5days to get off the nicotine addiction after your last dose, and the rest is habitual. coffee, smoke, eat, smoke, drive, smoke.

I quit drinking coffee the same day, i was drinking 6-8 coffee's a day. Now i am back to one a day for the last 7 years or so.

Good luck

They jury is has yet to be convened on E-cigs. I applaud anyones endeavor to quit smoking tobacco or anything for that matter. Simply put - lungs did not evolve to be used as intake portals for anything but clean air. They have built in defense mechanisms that react when they get polluted with anything else. When lungs are abused they will in some way become damaged, often permanently. Then life really sucks. My 0.02 is to use E-cigs as a quit tool. Please do not make them seem acceptable cuz they are not at all determined to be 100% safe for long term heavy use. They are not evaluated by any federal agency. They are most certainly not endorsed by any medical organization. Many are manufactured overseas (often in China). We do not want kids to think they are cool. E-cigs are a techy business model aimed at cashing in on the huge dollars reaped from nicotine addiction. The E-cig industry is truly more interested in your wallet than your health, pretty much like big tobacco. If, in 15 years there is a new form of lung disease related to some component in E-cigs, then you'll gets an 'oops, my bad' and a 'too bad, so sad'. Make the goal a 100% quit. Value your lungs and seek to treat them the best way possible.

Actually, ecigs have been evalauated a good handful of times: by the FDA, the World Health Organization, American Association of Public Health Physicians, Boston University School of Public Health, Health Canada and Health New Zealand.

This can be found here.

Of course, none of them are going to say it's good for you, but the consensus certainly seems to be that it's not even remotely as harmful as real cigs. Suggestions are made by same that the danger is less than 1/1000 of real cigarettes.

Sure, it might turn out there are unknowns and vaping can kill you. It's not much different than the issue concerning cell-phone use and brain tumors/cancer. Believers that cell phones are dangerous can't prove the danger, but they are saying, "Don't say we didn't tell you so." What do you do then? "Everybody, ditch your phones!"

My ringing endorsement is for one purpose. It's in the title. I didn't suggest non-smokers should use it. Only smokers who know they need to quit but can't muster the will to do it cold turkey, or with the gum, patch and what have you.

Congrats, anything that helps quit is a good idea.I quit after about 35 years, it's all about making up your mind.I really waited too long but it's still better, saved $7500 in two years, smell better.If I can quit anyone can, I liked smoking just as much as anyone.Don't believe the you can't quit hype we been told since we were kids.If I knew I could I would have quit 30 years ago.

I thought I was gonna gain 50 lbs, I lost 20. I thought I may as well quit drinking coffee, it's still just as good. How can I drink a beer with friends without a smoke? easy, just do it.It was all BS, non of the drawbacks I always feared were true.

Actually, ecigs have been evalauated a good handful of times: by the FDA, the World Health Organization, American Association of Public Health Physicians, Boston University School of Public Health, Health Canada and Health New Zealand.

This can be found here.

Of course, none of them are going to say it's good for you, but the consensus certainly seems to be that it's not even remotely as harmful as real cigs. Suggestions are made by same that the danger is less than 1/1000 of real cigarettes.

Sure, it might turn out there are unknowns and vaping can kill you. It's not much different than the issue concerning cell-phone use and brain tumors/cancer. Believers that cell phones are dangerous can't prove the danger, but they are saying, "Don't say we didn't tell you so." What do you do then? "Everybody, ditch your phones!"

My ringing endorsement is for one purpose. It's in the title. I didn't suggest non-smokers should use it. Only smokers who know they need to quit but can't muster the will to do it cold turkey, or with the gum, patch and what have you.

I do appreciate where you are coming from. Still you seem to sidestep my point. If you use your kitchen garbage disposal as a wood chipper it will stop working well fast and it will certainly fail in short order. But when it fails you can just install a new and sturdier model. Can't do that so easily with lungs. The most graphic 'quit abusing your lungs' video I've ever seen interspersed real footage of an unfortunate drowning dog with a dying emphysema sufferer. Sadly they were both 'out of reach'. There is no bad time to begin taking better care of your lungs. As for E-cigs, users are placing their lungs in the hands of foreign manufacturers not only with the basic appliance but also with every dose of inhaled drug. Think Chinese quality control procedures. That is one huge problem found with these products. There is no proven consistency in the dosage products. Amounts of nicotine varied and who knows what else. There will always be good, better and best. In this instance 'best' is crystal clear. It is quitting altogether. Tobacco is a known amount of ugly and E-cigs are the unknown quantity of bad. You, et al, get to be their consumer guinea pigs. That's not a job I'd be happy to accept. My advice would be to try and make them a short term solution, a transitional approach to quitting. That is how they are often marketed.

My advice would be to try and make them a short term solution, a transitional approach to quitting. That is how they are often marketed.

I do agree with you, Oscar. The logic is inescapable. My only point in this regard is that there is this illogical bias when it comes to anything "smoking." The same logic - in fact, the EXACT same logic - applies to putting your cell phone up to your head repeatedly for many years. Most cell-phone users consider the people who warn of risks to be "too overly sensitive," "irrational in the face of inconclusive evidence," or even kooks.

There really is no difference whatsoever between the 2: Basically, you are exposing yourself where, in theory, there could be serious harm from long-term exposure, and currently, there is not sufficient information at hand to alleviate speculation in this regard.

So, might as well chunk that cell phone, too.

Of course, I am not espousing a belief that you should chunk your cell phone, nor am I saying you need to use email and face to face communication more often and try to wean yourself from your cell phone. It's just one of those risks society is willing to accept in light of inconclusive evidence that it REALLY is harmful.

Interesting, but we assume these types of risks ALL OF THE TIME in our daily lives (from the things we eat, the cosmetics we wear, the cleaning agents we use, and on and on and on), but for whatever reason, when it comes to "smoking," the non-smokers all the sudden are so alarmed.