Mikey's Home Theater Construction mode.

MichaelandKlipsch

If you lived closer buddy I would be there to help. Charleston to MN is a bit of a hike lol. isnt your popcorn? I think id just staple fabric to that lol. I have looked up a few masking systems but my god they are expensive. Definitely going to DIY that instead. Found most of the parts to be able to come out of motorized blinds for the tubing/motor tubing and the spring for the tube. Will need to use a Para cord and build a nice frame that will house it all in. Then install the automated curtain over the masking system. Not going to mess with it yet though

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know where to hang them or how far to space them apart?

It said i would need 13 panels , so just space them out evenly ?

Just getting them up in the room is the most important part. You can put them in reflected parts and that helps too. But from what i have read the main thing is getting them in the room.

How do you know where to hang them or how far to space them apart? It said i would need 13 panels , so just space them out evenly ?

Sit in the main listening position and have someone slide a mirror down the side walls. When you see the speaker in the mirror, center the panel at ear level. You can do the same on the ceiling. Extra panels can be put behind your mains and behind the seats. You can also check out GIK panels. that's where I got mine.

From several sources I read online and from ATS blueprints, they recommended having a minimum of 6 max of 8 between panels. I used the mirror test for reflection points sliding a mirror on the wall to see where the horn/tweeter meets your POV. From there I covered the back + side walls with 6 between each panel. I also have 13 panels and 1 at the bottom of the theater entrance staircase to absorb some sound from entering the house. They make a huge difference in audible sound. Like many say buying expensive equipment, expensive cables, expensive speakers etc. is fun and addicting and does make nice upgrades but the room acoustics and treating it makes the most difference. Properly treating and placement of everything is ideal. I strongly recommend installing these panels if you have a dedicated room and the make it look fantastic very cinema like. If you have any question let me know. my panels are (13) 48x24 in micro suede. And I have (1) 24x24 in micro suede just above the projector.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

Really glad to see you back online. It's fun watching other people build their setups. It gives other guys ideas, and helps them to realize even a dedicated HT isn't only reserved for the wealthy (trust me I'm very frugal). You can build small, simple HT or a large extravagant (ok those might be for the wealthy) [:P]

The tops arent too bad never distracts me or anything the cream colored wall around the fixed screen is what I want covered but I wont be able to do that until the curtain arrives. The velvet curtain should extended within 1 inch from the 2 Acoustic panels and the wall above and below the screen to the tips of the subs will be covered as well. I have watched maybe 25 movies up there since everything was installed. Really enjoying it.The top is reflective with the dimmable lights above them but when watching a movie the projector doesnt really reflect that bad. Not perfect though but I dont want to lay fabric on them etc.

what about making your own sort of thin plate that covered the tops of the subs and spray adhesive on it put some black velvet and just put it over the subs during a movie? would prolly cost 20$ to make and would cut it all the way down then set it behind the seating when not watching so you can see the subs beauty