The Human Body as a musical instrument

artto

Yeppem, JB, I've participated in the Hallelujah Chorus and also experienced neighborhood garage band after too many beers...

Artto, as to the video, THIS is what the 21rst century was supposed to look like!

1. I want some, so I can choir myself and repeal everyone for hundreds of yards.

2. It's a completely new art form that is going to be the "will anything ever follow rock n roll" answer.

Consider, we are just looking and listening to gen 1 of this techart. Mind boggling...

Dave

I'm old............that's just weird, but could probably be the next DJ craze ?

More, Elden. This lends itself to anything from Bach to Star Wars. Fusion of dance, performance, improvisation.

The mind boggles.

It's gonna be BIG. And I want a set. If MS isn't completely brain dead (open to question since Win8) they'll have a version of this out for XBox Kinect ASAP.

Dave

I think a more accurate definition would be human kinetic orchestration of digital sound. The instrumentation is artificial and already tuned. Instruments can not be played badly, just awkwardly. While creative it is also somewhat sterilized and I suppose burnished from another's perspective. They are not playing instruments. They are playing a computer. What would be scientifically interesting would be to hook the device up to a dolphin or whale and see if and how they use it for their own communications (entertainment?). Possibly it could become the 1st interspecies communications device? It could perhaps be used as a kinetic feedback tool for autistics or an acoustic orientation medium for infants. Next will be direct access to brain wave digital musical orchestration. Hook that up to an actively seizing brain -YIKES!

• Moderators

The mind boggles

Well that does not take much sometimes, but your right it could go big for other applications also, movie soundtracks or anything where they want to match movement to sound very easily.

• Moderators

What would be scientifically interesting would be to hook the device up to a dolphin or whale and see if and how they use it for their own communications (entertainment?). Possibly it could become the 1st interspecies communications device? It could perhaps be used as a kinetic feedback tool for autistics or an acoustic orientation medium for infants. Next will be direct access to brain wave digital musical orchestration. Hook that up to an actively seizing brain -YIKES

For science and medical it could be almost unlimited, allow animals to talk, allow people to communicate under situations impossible now like paralyzed or in a coma, could the brain help diagnose health problems the person couldn't, no telling where it could go.

I'm old............that's just weird, but could probably be the next DJ craze ?

It's gonna be BIG. And I want a set. If MS isn't completely brain dead (open to question since Win8) they'll have a version of this out for XBox Kinect ASAP.

Dave

Dave, funny you should mention this. One of my comments to my niece who showed me this was " I wonder what she's going to do when she (Imogen Heap) finds out that her rig won't work with Windows 9. [:S]

BTW, I believe Imogen Heap is using a Kinect for this.

Imogen Heap is your niece??!!

WOW!Yes

Thanks for sharing.

I wish.

No, my niece studied opera at DePaul. Then she switched majors to audio arts and production. She's now in a rock band with her husband guitar player. My niece brought this to my attention.

What I find interesting about this is its sort of the antithesis of what some moden "classical" composers ~ minimalists, like Steve Reich have done. In Steve Reich's Music for Eighteen Musicians he uses all natural acoustic instruments and human voices to make what sounds like it's electronic. It's an absolutely amazing piece of music to see and hear performed live. Don't miss it if you ever get a chance. And he doesn't do very many live performances.

Well, Artto's mention of Steve Reich caused me to think about Harry Partch. I've searched for a copy of "The World of Harry Partch" for decades. I rather doubt if a lot were pressed. Almost nobody remembers him, but he designed and built instruments that were completely unique, totally acoustic, and were works of visual art. Then, he composed for them. The looked and sounded like the classical instruments of an alien civilization.

It was pretty neat stuff. The album I mentioned came with a beautiful color album-sized book with details and photos of the instruments.

Dave