Lawnmowers/Push vs Ride?

billybob

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One Thing to concider now a days is the engines. B&S was once the best but in the last few years Honda has been making the best.

I took mine out of its winter sleep, filled the tank, checked the oil, set the automatic choke and pulled once. Started immediately. Mine is a combination side throw, bagger and mulcher. There is a lot to decide take your time.

Edit: Forgot to say I have a push with front wheel drive.

Buy a Snapper and be done with it. I bought a Snapper self-propelled in 1983 and used it until 1994 when I decided I just wanted to buy a new mower. I bought another Snapper self-propelled and used both for a couple of years until I sold the first mower to a friend and he used it for several more years. I still use the 1994 model for mulching but I did buy another Snapper 3 years ago, I use it to bag clippings. Change the oil, filter and spark plug every year and they'll last a long long time. And they're built in Georgia, USA.

Keith

I use a highly modified Cub Cadet ZTR 50. I had to put tubes in all the tires to negotiate 4" high roots around trees to keep the tires from popping off the rims even with the split front axle. Then I had to put a special guard over the throttle to prevent bush and tree branches from shutting off the mower. Then made a nice 4" angle iron hitch for the back to pull wagons. Then added 3/8" fine threaded nuts to the drive levers to reduce play. Then had to double up the mower deck cable carriers after I used it to level piles of dirt. I then modified the mower deck anti scalp wheels and added two 18" long wheels to the front and one 6" to the rear. Then added two very large swivel wheels to the left/right front of the mower deck so that the deck would not catch into the ground on short, very steep grades around trees and very sharp turns. Then modified the two bagger system to add a three bagger unit and modified the pickup to fit better on the mower deck. I also added a Lexan window to the bagger unit to view the operation. Then I added a dryer plug to plug into the 12 volt wagon winch to drag up 500 pound rocks into the wagon and then had to put tubes in the wagon tires. I have pulled out 7 stumps with the addition of knobby tires on the back and of course I chopped all around the stumps before pulling them out. I am pretty happy with this toy at thepresent time.

JJK

From LOWES, I have the Troybilt push mower with the Honda Engine non-self propelled. I am on my second one. Seems my yard grows rocks.

Starts first pull. Cannot beat that. Grass shavings back on the yard. FIre ants have to hide in something.

I push about 6-7 hours a week.It is my weekly summer exercise, but I stretch it out over 3 days. Usually when my lawnmower runs out of gas, then I have run out of gas also.

Only when it is approaching 95 degrees do I wish I had a riding mower with ice tea dispenser and a bimini top.

You like your hearing, then use ear plugs. I know too many people that do not. Huh, they say.

Safety glasses also a must.

I've had, and worn out several push mowers over the years, most with B & S engines. About 3 or 4 years ago I bought my first mower with a Honda. Man, what a difference. Quieter, easier to start, better fuel consumption and great power. I don't think I'll go back to the old standard. I'm slowly converting all my ancillary lawn tools (blower, string trimmers etc) to Stihl. Better tools actually make the job easier. You pay a little more but they last longer, are easier to find parts for and shorten your work time.

Dang, so many choices and stories. I can see how each one has it's merits. When tubes were mentioned that was my first thought too,lol.

I wish I had that old Cadet now. Did not know Honda that good, but not surprised. May have to rethink batteries again. Would I be less of a man if we paid to have it done, I wonder.

It is just that I am about burned out with having to use pushtype mowers and feel I deserve a break now regardless of yard size. I have cut up pine trees with just a Poulan 16 inch electric chainsaw(recommend), pushed,stacked pried,burned...and the trees keep falling on the fenceline. Seems there is always something. Then there is the pruning and the incessant growth of sprouting trees where we do not need them like oak and Mimosa. And then there is the ever present and invasive Wisteria vines climbing and choking the pines. We grow a garden and cannot get much to grow . Nevermind that the forest is trying to reclaim our yard every year. Sorry for the rant and rave over such a simple thing as yardcare. I need an attitude adjustment.

Last night I got in an argument and I stated rather succintly that I am not a yardman, or more particularly a lumberjack. I know it is just me and my attitude but, give me a break already. It is helping to read your posts.

The B&S Quantum I've been using starts on the first pull, but it's not as quiet as a Honda. I've never had anything Honda so I would hate to spoil a perfect record. As someone else mentioned, the key to success is changing the plug, filter and oil at least once a year, maybe the filter more depending on circumstances. I also change the blade with everything else, it's just easier and quicker than sharpening and balancing. I keep the old one as an emergency spare.

I will be going for a self-propelled push type non bag, mulcher B&S Quantum preferably with larger than typical wheels. Plan is on or by this coming Monday.

She just adjusted my attitude.[:(][:@][li]

If you're really interested in buying something that will last decades with effortless starting and little mechanical work check out the engine you plan to buy. You would be surprised what small engine parts are made of nowadays (plastic crankshaft, for example). Plastic gets real hot and it's shot.

The Snapper Hi-Vac that I've been using for 18 years has a B&S engine. It still starts first pull and sometimes maybe 2nd pull. I bought a pressure washer about 5 years ago with a 9 HP Subaru-Robin engine. It's built like a brick schit-house.

Yard work is overrated. I'd rather the spend the time having sex with my wife. YMMV.

Keith

If you're really interested in buying something that will last decades with effortless starting and little mechanical work check out the engine you plan to buy. You would be surprised what small engine parts are made of nowadays (plastic crankshaft, for example). Plastic gets real hot and it's shot.

The Snapper Hi-Vac that I've been using for 18 years has a B&S engine. It still starts first pull and sometimes maybe 2nd pull. I bought a pressure washer about 5 years ago with a 9 HP Subaru-Robin engine. It's built like a brick schit-house.

Yard work is overrated. I'd rather the spend the time having sex with my wife. YMMV.

Keith

You know I was so bored, I somehow thought our lawn mower was a Honda and a Snapper. Turns out I was wrong. That pressure washer you are speaking of sounds like what is needed. You are right I think. You cannot skimp on some things. Bit of a tightwad myself. Just as well I am broke anyway.

LOL, I used to shoot pool as a hobby. Nowasdays I dream about it.

I will be going for a self-propelled push type non bag, mulcher B&S Quantum preferably with larger than typical wheels. Plan is on or by this coming Monday.

She just adjusted my attitude.SadAngryLightning

Well it's a lot cheaper than a dixie chopper. I forgot to say mine has the large wheels on the backend. Maybe she really wants you to have more money for audio?

Game Changer, I just picked up a jam up 2650 Snapper with an 8hp power built B&S owner replaced a blown up 5hp with. Cranks up first time and mows like a golf course mower. Not much to look at but good enough to get the job done until the GF puts a paint job on it. Man said I was first on craigs ad and I went immediately as people were lined up behind me. Took off custom comfort seat with one bolt and 2 for the steering. Popped it in the back of volvo wagon with man and boys help.Price $125+$5 for the boys help. Wait till she sees it in action.

Now , who is the boss?[H]

Check out blades for it. If there is a hi-lift blade for your mower then get one. The deck creates lift and will make your cut grass look better than it deserves to look.

Keith

The blade was stirring up quite alot of velocity, and moving some wind.It acted light, like it was lifting up or taking off. I will be looking for one. Check it online.

This topic was therapeutical personally. I am certain I will continue to require a push mower around. It is a rather warm place here inland yet coastal as regards stormy weather. We have a tree that is touching main power line coming into yard. Asked Penny not to venture outside as we are wet here.

She just loves it! [:'(]

Some good reads here.

Thanks

A Dixie Chopper?

A Dixie Chopper has a quick mow speed, but the one I used had a short (3.5 foot?) deck and still took forever...They have a nice comfy chair on those things.

A older Excell (Hustler?) Z-turn I used had a 5 foot deck, mowed just as fast, no roll bar, and you could literally beat the sh*t out of it...