Time for a bar exam

USNRET

It is 114 today and will not let up for several days. Only 6% humidity. More humidity and the air holds a lot more heat, that is when is gets bad. We went in the pool for 3 hours. Not much else you can do.

I have had the beginning of heat stroke before, scary. Dizzy and cold chills when it is 110 plus working outside. A scout camp leader passed away a few weeks ago, they went out at 9 am when it was 113 that day. A real tragedy.

Wife and I went for a run in the Chattanooga-Chickamauga National Military Park early today. In the upper 70s and high humidity, so we sweat a LOT. Did almost 4 miles, went and ate afterwards. More of a jog/walk, but the exercise was good.

Really felt hot here, in upper 80s to mid 90s during the day, but that's the summer in this area.

Bruce

After two hours of yard work grab me a brewski

Humidity30%

Wind SpeedNE 9 mph

Barometer29.78 in (1008.4 mb)

Dewpoint68°F (20°C)

Visibility10.00 mi

Heat Index112°F (44°C)

Any time a guy does some yard work, he owes it to himself to have a cold adult beverage... Cheers...

It is 114 today and will not let up for several days. Only 6% humidity. More humidity and the air holds a lot more heat, that is when is gets bad. We went in the pool for 3 hours. Not much else you can do.

Yikes. emotion-9.gif Little taste of Yuma there.
I've been to Baton Rouge, in August, with the temp. near 90 and 99% humidity... Miserable X 100....

• Moderators

I've been to Baton Rouge, in August, with the temp. near 90 and 99% humidity... Miserable X 100

But it's a wet sticky heat. [:|]

I have to be honest, when Texas settles into a high pressure system for weeks and it's dry and extra hot I am very glad when it does not move this way.

• Moderators

YOU GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF WUSSES !!!

After working in it for many years let me be the first to raise my hand and join that list. [Y]

I did love my job but it was still hot and humid.

I've been to Baton Rouge, in August, with the temp. near 90 and 99% humidity... Miserable X 100

But it's a wet sticky heat. Indifferent

I have to be honest, when Texas settles into a high pressure system for weeks and it's dry and extra hot I am very glad when it does not move this way.

I agree, it does get pretty rough.

I was in Baton Rouge for a little league "world series" tournament. The ball park was in the river bottoms... It was raining moisture, but no real rain was coming down... Cold beverages never tasted so good... lol...

More humidity and the air holds a lot more heat, that is when is gets bad.

My understanding is that the higher humidity, the slower your sweat evaporates off your skin and the more miserable we feel. Less humidity, your sweat evaporates much faster and it doesn't feel as miserable.....however..... you're still losing the same water so you have to be just as careful.

Yeah, it almost got to 70 degrees inside my house yesterday so I got up and turned the thermostat down to 68. It helps to stay hydrated and to move your fingers slowly across the remote.

Keith

More humidity and the air holds a lot more heat, that is when is gets bad.

My understanding is that the higher humidity, the slower your sweat evaporates off your skin and the more miserable we feel. Less humidity, your sweat evaporates much faster and it doesn't feel as miserable.....however..... you're still losing the same water so you have to be just as careful.

Evaporation is a factor too. But the more water that is suspended in the air, more heat is held in the air at the same outside temperature.

It is comfortable here in the 80's and even to 90. In high humidity areas 80 and above can be miserable.

Well, heat broke in Houston Wednesday or so last week. It had been intolerabel even by native standards...never seen worse here. "Brutal" is the word that comes to mind. Then, one morning it was dry and 69 degrees. Hallelujah! Warmed up since then and the humidity up, but nice gulf breezes. Went to a 4th party (took a full 5th as well) yesterday at a friends house on the bay in Bacliff and it was sheer perfection. Wonderful bay breeze and just enough clouds to keep the sun at bay.

Sure we'll be back to "brutal" before summer is done, but it's a bit more like the norm for the moment.

Dave

Well, heat broke in Houston Wednesday or so last week. It had been intolerabel even by native standards...never seen worse here. "Brutal" is the word that comes to mind. Then, one morning it was dry and 69 degrees. Hallelujah! Warmed up since then and the humidity up, but nice gulf breezes. Went to a 4th party (took a full 5th as well) yesterday at a friends house on the bay in Bacliff and it was sheer perfection. Wonderful bay breeze and just enough clouds to keep the sun at bay.

Sure we'll be back to "brutal" before summer is done, but it's a bit more like the norm for the moment.

Dave

I saw where it reached 107 in Houston the other day. Without a doubt it must have been very uncomfortable for the locals (and everyone else).