Horn Loaded Table Tuba

jason str

Beautiful job on that table!

I have a question about the table tuba. I know Bill specifies that there is NO cover for the driver access but you are supposed to have it next to the wall or the floor. I am thinking about having two but I would not be able to have either one near the wall and I'd have to have them upright with the driver access on the right or left side. What would be the result of that and would that be a situation to go ahead and cover the access? Has anyone ever heard a table tuba with the driver access covered?

Thank You

I have an access panel on my TT because without it needs to be 1 1/2-2" from a wall/floor.

The way i make my doors is use the cutout from the plywood door & on the inside of the driver enclosure is glue & screw 3/4" plywood 7/8" high to the inside of the driver enclosure recessed 1/2" or whatever thickness your plywood is and then screw and T nut the cutout access panel on.

Edited by jason str

I have a T-18 which has both driver access panels covered. i don't believe it hurts anything to cover both sides. It is a little more work to build the doors however. Have you considered grill cloth instead of a door?

Beautiful job on that table!

I have a question about the table tuba. I know Bill specifies that there is NO cover for the driver access but you are supposed to have it next to the wall or the floor. I am thinking about having two but I would not be able to have either one near the wall and I'd have to have them upright with the driver access on the right or left side. What would be the result of that and would that be a situation to go ahead and cover the access? Has anyone ever heard a table tuba with the driver access covered?

Thank You

I have an access panel on my TT because without it needs to be 1 1/2-2" from a wall/floor.

The way i make my doors is use the cutout from the plywood door & on the inside of the driver enclosure is glue & screw 3/4" plywood 7/8" high to the inside of the driver enclosure recessed 1/2" or whatever thickness your plywood is and then screw and T nut the cutout access panel on.

Good ideas!

Jason, have you listened with and without the cover? I'm wondering how much you notice any differences. Let me know if you ever try!

Edited by muel

Muel,

I seem to remember a thread somewhere in the BFM forum concerning the driver access. You might want to search over there. Here is a clip from BFM about placement:

"Decide where you’re going to put your sub. While a middle of the floor placement will work you’ll get better results with it next to a wall, with best results in a corner of the room. It doesn't matter if the cab stands upright or is laid on a side, but either way the horn mouth should be at the floor with the driver access hole, which has no cover, facing either the wall or the floor. In a corner the horn mouth should be facing into the corner from about a foot away. You do not want the cabinet tight into the corner with the horn mouth facing out."

You should defeinitely pose this question in the BFM forums. Be prepared to be slapped around. The place isn't really very friendly IMO.

Edited by mustang guy

Muel,

I seem to remember a thread somewhere in the BFM forum concerning the driver access. You might want to search over there. Here is a clip from BFM about placement:

"Decide where you’re going to put your sub. While a middle of the floor placement will work you’ll get better results with it next to a wall, with best results in a corner of the room. It doesn't matter if the cab stands upright or is laid on a side, but either way the horn mouth should be at the floor with the driver access hole, which has no cover, facing either the wall or the floor. In a corner the horn mouth should be facing into the corner from about a foot away. You do not want the cabinet tight into the corner with the horn mouth facing out."

You should defeinitely pose this question in the BFM forums. Be prepared to be slapped around. The place isn't really very friendly IMO.

The La Scala bass will be louder too if you turn it around and face it to the wall or a corner but it works fine faced into a room, same with the Tuba, plenty of output unless you are trying out for an SPL contest.

Even at very loud listening levels with my THT facing my listening position there was no lack of bass.

I never had an issue personally at Bills forum.

Edited by jason str
  • Like 1

Muel,

The La Scala bass will be louder too if you turn it around and face it to the wall or a corner but it works fine faced into a room, same with the Tuba, plenty of output unless you are trying out for an SPL contest.

Even at very loud listening levels with my THT facing my listening position there was no lack of bass.

Good to know. I actually face my THT's out and it's fine. You don't get the added gain of corner loading is all.

As far as problems at the BFM forums I posted some questions a while back and got snippy responses like didn't you read the instructions and can't you use the search function. Happened a few times. You probably never asked stupid questions there. :unsure:

I was reluctant to post there because of some of the comments I saw there. Also, it is difficult to filter out just who is only interested in the most and loudest bass versus who likes musical bass that is balanced perfectly with the rest of their system. Seems like a lot of them just like MORE and LOUD bass. I don't want to be able to have any clue that I have subwoofers (other than the fact that I can see them sitting there). I don't want to hear anything extra from them! Also, I won't be watching any movies with them either.

Edited by muel

Muel,

Good to know. I actually face my THT's out and it's fine. You don't get the added gain of corner loading is all.

As far as problems at the BFM forums I posted some questions a while back and got snippy responses like didn't you read the instructions and can't you use the search function. Happened a few times. You probably never asked stupid questions there. :unsure:

I guess some of the people in the forums have never heard "if you have nothing nice to say keep your mouth shut!". I have run into that problem too and it has usually been after I have grown tired of searching for an answer that I decided to post the question.

Edited by ellisr63

Will it hold my scotch without spilling a drop while playing Kool Moe Dee?

The sub is very solid and will not spill a drop even playing how ya like me now at full volume.

Your windows, doorjambs, and anything not bolted down around it will wander around the room.

Scotch-guard!!! Apologies to Ron White ;-)

The sub is very solid and will not spill a drop even playing how ya like me now at full volume.

Your windows, doorjambs, and anything not bolted down around it will wander around the room.

:emotion-46::emotion-44::emotion-22: A drink sitting on top won't spill a drop. Crank it up enough however and you might sitting near by.

My biggest issue is when I sit down to listen to my scalas with a drink in hand it's gone before I get to put it down. Then I gotta go back out to the garage and pour another, it's a viscous cycle. Maybe bill can incorporate a mini fridge into the table tuba design.