POWER TOOLS!

tigerwoodKhorns

• Moderators
Somethings wrong with us we went from power tools, to sewing machines. I know in a way sewing machines are power tools.

Not the kind of power tool i would use, I am not about to learn something completely new to me. She does make money and is always really busy, my tools only let me build stuff and fix things.

Although some of these machines are amazing, one machine she has trims the edges perfectly as it sews, I think the rest is just regular sewing machines.

I was bored between Christmas and New Year and want to get away from company/kids so I went in her room and decided to make a pillow for the hammock. I figured it's simple enough, after 30 minutes and breaking a needle I gave up and threw it in the trash, I was just lucky I didn't sew my finger.

It's like golf, it is harder than it looks, I like my tools better.

Edited by dtel

Although some of these machines are amazing, one machine she has trims the edges perfectly as it sews, I think the rest is just regular sewing machines.

Ok, now I am embarrased, I know what that is. :huh: It is called a serger machine. I was helping her measure some things and she said that a certain edge with a special stitch is made with a serger machine. FWIW, she is upstairs tailoring some shirts for me right now.

I need some power tool talk. I used my new Makita drill over the weekend, 3/8", keyless chuck, nice variable speed control. I actually grabbed for the old one and then went and got the new one. Still need to use the 1/2" monster.

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns

• Moderators

I need some power tool talk.

Ok this should help, when i read that i got the camera went in the garage. I does NOT sew at all.

You right I remember her saying it is a serger, but enough of that, this is a real tool..

post-9700-0-03560000-1389152081_thumb.jp

• Moderators

New to me within the last year, my neighbor who changes his mind every 6 months thought he wanted to do more woodworking, built a couple of things and changed his mind and wanted to sell it all off. It was used probably 20 minutes when I got it. I always wanted a jointer but for the cost and somewhat limited use I could not see buying one, there were always other things needed more. But i am kind of surprised how much I use it and the first grizzly tool for me, i am very happy with the quality.

I also got a plainer/molder from him, it's an old Foley-Belsaw and it works like new, the old tools are very heavy and well made.

"I don't wonk what will be more fun, designing, building and equipping the shop or building stuff in it. "

​Your right, I have had a couple of plans so far, the first got changed because my daughter thought it should be bigger because she likes to refinish old furniture, on very very rare occasion.

I think I may go with my first idea which was around 20 x 30, I wanted a roll up door in the center of each end to help with a breeze in the summer. I need to check the width, I want it where I could pull a car or the tractor in without moving much more than a table with wheels. My neighbors shed was a good bit wider but it left alot of space in the center which ended up just kind of wasted.

Edited by dtel

OK, I am not crazy about battery powered tools in general. Seems like planned obsolescence. But I already had a Makita drill in 14.4v, so I picked up a Makita fluorescent light that uses the same battery. This thing is great. Don't get the spotlight (per the reviews) get the fluorescent light.

No more dead batteries and use it as much as you want just recharge. I used to to install a garbage disposal and it really worked well. I like that you can just set it down and it lights up the whole area.

One thing, it just goes dead, no warning. Buy not having to buy a bunch of D batteries and then having the thing dead when you need it is nice. This will live indoors, not in the garage.

Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-ML143-14-4-Volt-Fluorescent-Light/dp/B00080QHF4

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Makita round one. Orbital Finishing Sander

Orbital-Sander-1012-de.jpg

An orbital finishing sander is lightweight, easy to control with one hand, and relatively quiet. It’s also virtually impossible to damage the workpiece with this type of sander. On the other hand, because it’s relatively docile, an orbital sander isn’t particularly useful for heavy stock removal. It’s intended for ultra-smooth wood sanding, rounding over sharp edges, sanding off hardened wood putty, and knocking down dried coats of paint or varnish.

Orbital sanders are often called quarter-sheet sanders because they accept one-quarter of a sheet of standard 9x11-inch sandpaper. Two spring-loaded clamps hold the sandpaper against the sander’s flat, square pad. The pad vibrates in tiny circles, or orbits, allowing you to sand in any direction.

Random-Orbit Sander

ROS-1012-de.jpg

Falling somewhere in between a belt sander and orbital finishing sander is the random-orbit sander. It’s easy to confuse a random-orbit sander with an orbital sander: The two names sound alike, and the tools share a common design, compact housings with rounded palm-grip tops. However, there’s one small but very important distinction between the two tools: An orbital sander has a square sanding pad, and a random-orbit sander has a round pad.

That one variation makes all the difference. The round pad on a random-orbit sander moves in “random orbits,” meaning it vibrates in tiny circles, like an orbital finishing sander, but it also spins in circles. As a result, this single compact tool can be used for both stock removal and ultra-smooth sanding. And because the pad vibrates and spins simultaneously, it all but eliminates swirl that ordinary orbital sanders sometimes leave behind.

A random-orbit sander won’t remove wood as quickly as a belt sander, and it’s slightly more difficult to control than an orbital finishing sander, but the random-orbit sander is arguably the most versatile portable electric sander you can own. If you were interested in buying only one sander, I’d recommend this one.

Most random-orbit sanders have a one-handed, palm-grip shape, which most DIYers prefer, butD-handle and barrel-grip (similar to a right-angle grinder) models are also available. Models come with either a 5- or 6-inch-diameter pad; the 5-inch size is more than sufficient for DIY projects.

Finally, some random-orbit sanders accept peel-and-stick PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) abrasive discs, while others use hook-and-loop (a.k.a.: Velcro) discs. PSA discs are less expensive, but hook-and-loop discs are much faster and easier to change and reuse.

Any recommendations for a good air compressor that won't break the bank?

How big is your bank? All depends on what cfm you want and if you want it to run on 120 or 240v. IR makes some nice commercial stuff but some of their lower end residential stuff is no better than anything else. Be sure you look for an oil lubricated compressor.

Maybe something dual stage if you plan to run a paint gun, or a da sander.

Most belt driven models will be a better choice, they seem to last longer + you can replace the motor easy if it goes out.

The important thing is that you drain the water from the tank often, check the oil level & install a drier in line to protect your air tools from moisture, don't forget to oil your air tools before each use for longevity.

http://rs7.pbsrc.com/albums/y290/cecaa850/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0184.jpg~c100?t=1388859331

I have no idea why I can't post this pic. When I use the "image" button all it does is display a tiny crawing of a pic. Oh well, click the hyperlink and you'll see the track saw I just got for Christmas.

I've never had so many problems posting pics as I have since the forum changed. Don't know why it made it so small either.

I have been thinking of getting the Festool also.

Maybe something dual stage if you plan to run a paint gun, or a da sander.

What are you going to do with it?

I have a 23 year old Craftsman 30 gallon 5 hp compressor that is going strong. Permanently lubircated, but not really, I replaced the piston and chamber a few years ago. Works great. 110v with wheels so that I can move it around. I also have a smaller Dewalt dual tank portable that works great for nail guns and such.

If you are automotive and use a bunch of air tools and painting, you need to look at a 220v upright. Just depends on what you are doing.

I was thinking for mostly light residential use, not really into air painting. Some automotive use may come in handy. So really not needing a commercial grade unit.

If you're planning on using an impact or air ratchet be sure you check the cfm requirements before you buy a compressor. They use a lot of air. I've had a 4 gal 2 horse "dual hot dog" stacked tank compressor for about 15 years. The compressor itself is oil lubricated. It'll run nail guns, air tires, clean drains, etc. Pretty much all you'd need around the house. It won't run air tools like impacts but as infrequently as I'd need it, it's not an issue. I couldn't justify the expense of a big unit and if I did, I'd go 240v and be done with it.

Edited by CECAA850