What cookware do you use

joessportster

So after some searching around and learning about some of the dangers of NON-STICK, (AKA TEFLON) Add the fact that though we dont own a metal utensil our 1 year old Paula Dean Non stick 100.00 pan set is flaking and the griddle is warped. I figured its about time to make a change (i know we have bought at least 3 sets of pots and pans over the last 8 years) > All my searching led me to multi clad stainless as a lifetime set. trouble is some of these cost more than a pair of k-horns.

Amazon offers a brand called cooks standard (made in china <_< ) but amazon has a good return policy, and what isnt made in china now days

Cooking on stainless steel requires an education (thank god for youtube, I never thought those words would leave these lips / fingers :o

I was shocked with the quality of these pans they are nice and solid built 3 ply construction rivited handles superb mirror finish and im kinda having fun learning to cook on them. my biggest concern now is pancakes for the boys.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calphalon all the way!

My wife and I both love to cook. We have two sets of Calphalon cookware. One is about 10 years old and like new and the other is about 2 years old. Gets used every day and has not worn out. Great stuff, just hand wash it, do not use the dishwasher. You also need to use wood and plastic utensils. Never metal on the pans.

I was trying to cook at a friend's house and messed up the eggs and everything came out bad. This is stuff that I can cook to perfection at home. The pans make a big difference. They spread the heat out evenly and cook evenly. I also use almost no oil and nothing sticks. I just spray a small amount of olive oil, or maybe a teaspoon or two of oilive oil if using freash garlic and onions as a base (we eat a lot of Asian stir frys). Good for your health. My sister in law was at our house and cooking with my wife and she mentioned how much she liked the cookware without being asked.

Here is a link:

http://www.calphalon.com/Pages/Home.aspx

The teflon stuff is worth getting. Nonstick is really nice. Simply, Unison or Contemporary. The Simply Calphalon stuff is the cheapest and very nice.

Bed Bath and Beyond has 20% coupons regularly. Macys also has sales every once in a while where you can get a good deal. A nice big set should run you $225 to $350 depending on how much you get and the sale that is going on. Nothing close to the price of a K Horn. Check amazon too.

I got my first set with rewards points ten years ago before they issued gift cards. I though that they were some off brand, although they felt heavy and cooked well. Never looked them up, then 10 years later I found out that they are really good cookware when I looked them up.

We have a gas stove and electric oven if that matters.

i looked at the

Bacon grease, lard, or copious amounts of butter will be your friend.

and eventually kill you... :P

Unless I missed some news, death is certain for all of us. It might as well taste good along the way. :P

i love this, glad i was not drinking anything it would be all over my screen

So after some searching around and learning about some of the dangers of NON-STICK, (AKA TEFLON)

I believe Calphalon is a non stick surface as well. We have one pan that we've had a while. It hasn't started to delaminate but the center is really dark. We don't use it any more. All the rest of our stuff is stainless with multi-layer bottoms. For eggs and sautéing, there's nothing better than cast iron. I use our two cast iron skillets more than anything else. We have a gas top as well.

Edited by CECAA850

Calphalon all the way!

My wife and I both love to cook. We have two sets of Calphalon cookware. One is about 10 years old and like new and the other is about 2 years old. Gets used every day and has not worn out. Great stuff, just hand wash it, do not use the dishwasher. You also need to use wood and plastic utensils. Never metal on the pans.

I was trying to cook at a friend's house and messed up the eggs and everything came out bad. This is stuff that I can cook to perfection at home. The pans make a big difference. They spread the heat out evenly and cook evenly. I also use almost no oil and nothing sticks. I just spray a small amount of olive oil, or maybe a teaspoon or two of oilive oil if using freash garlic and onions as a base (we eat a lot of Asian stir frys). Good for your health. My sister in law was at our house and cooking with my wife and she mentioned how much she liked the cookware without being asked.

Here is a link:

http://www.calphalon.com/Pages/Home.aspx

The teflon stuff is worth getting. Nonstick is really nice. Simply, Unison or Contemporary. The Simply Calphalon stuff is the cheapest and very nice.

Bed Bath and Beyond has 20% coupons regularly. Macys also has sales every once in a while where you can get a good deal. A nice big set should run you $225 to $350 depending on how much you get and the sale that is going on. Nothing close to the price of a K Horn. Check amazon too.

I got my first set with rewards points ten years ago before they issued gift cards. I though that they were some off brand, although they felt heavy and cooked well. Never looked them up, then 10 years later I found out that they are really good cookware when I looked them up.

We have a gas stove and electric oven if that matters.

Hey appreciate the response. but we will never be buying non stick Teflon again, doesn't really matter who makes it. In my life till now Ive had dozens of pieces with Teflon and all have eventually started to flake, scratch, and deteriorate. We looked at Calphalon locally and it was indeed very nice looking and also heavier than our previous cookware. It was also twice the price of our previous cookware and for less than the price of the Calphalon we bought triple ply stainless cookware, Which if properly cared for will last till im dead and gone

I have some Calphalon as well... I think it's supposed to be non-stick (it sticks)

I've nabbed some good old fashioned CAST IRON skillets.

I have an egg skillet (about six inches square, makes a perfect egg for a sandwich) and though I DO still oil it prior to use, it DOES NOT stick at all....I mean AT ALL.

I've bought some Griswold stuff but there is Wagoner, Waupak (sp?), Favorite (Piqua-Ware)

Favorite was made in Piqua Ohio (I've found it harder to find but would like to get some for my nieces since my mother is from Piqua)

Waupak was made in Waupakanetta (sp) Ohio

Wagoner was made?

Griswold / Erie was made in (Erie?) Pennsylvania

The Griswold is easy to find and some folks are proud of their prices.

I've made pizzas (just yesterday in fact) in the #6 skillet, cherry pies in the #4 skillet (single store bought crust folded over for top)

If you find them rusty or let them GET rusty, they can easily be fixed in an electrolysis tank that you can easily make (I put all mine through that process in the little apartment I had in Florida)

Go to the store and look & feel (but do not buy) a current cast iron skillet. I then dare you to buy one of these online and tell me that you can't tell the difference.

The older ones are clearly higher quality. Machined or cast much smoother than current crop.

Get a couple, refinish them and bring some old iron back to life!

Added benefit is you get some added iron in your system while cooking with them.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/142330-electrolysis-question/?hl=griswold#entry1607642

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/144663-a-steak-from-walmart/?hl=griswold

I bought a complete set of Martha Stewart Tri-ply back in '02. They are All-Clad knock offs, but for the price of one pot, I could get an entire set.

I usually buy U.S. made when I can, but I drew the line at spending in excess of $3000, simply for cookware.

Only suplemental purchase since then has been a 5qt Calphalon Tri-ply sauté pan for handling larger portions.

I've always kept a can of Bar Keepers Friend handy....Many good meals along a decade of abuse and the pans still look like new.

I'm still eyeballing a cast iron skillet and enameled dutch oven, but the above pans have had us well-covered for anything I've dared to cook.

24711d1358612381-my-review-martha-stewar

We have a 40 + year old set of SaladMaster stainless steel. Multi layer, this stuff is great. The outside of some of them doesn't look very good now, but the insides are great. Made in the U.S. Also have some Lodge iron cookware (The iron ware and carbon steel ware are made in the U.S.) Some of their products are made in China.

http://www.saladmaster.com/display/router.aspx

http://www.lodgemfg.com/

Bruce