Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

8 hours ago, dtel said:

Some nice looking cups on that site but no, we have about 20 coffee cups, no two match after years of breakage. But they hold coffee and I don't care if one breaks, good enough.

You know funny how my go to cups, four at the moment never end up breaking . Knock on wood I guess. Going to a thicker cup for retaining heat longer.

Reading here that porcelain is best for that. May have to see. Coffee drinking for me is turning out to be on the slow and very slow side. LF laughs abit

at it. Of course, we both know about and use a microwave coffee re-heater. Still works for me. Have been wanting to buy some things lately for myself.

Treating self to new cap, glasses and next, shoe shopping and a new bomber jacket. Not any real biggie but, thinking some new shoes will help kill any blues, as the old song says.

Only one question then. Would you repeat the espresso experience made right again? Alright!

• Like 2

On 11/1/2017 at 1:30 PM, dirtmudd said:

that is a sippy cup...I have those too..

I like to go mega !!!

IMG_20171101_132738_hdr.jpg

IMG_20171101_132633_hdr.jpg

On 11/1/2017 at 1:45 PM, rplace said:

Small but packs a punch. 17.5 grams through the espresso maker for 22-26 seconds. Lots of crema from that particular bean/roast too. ^^ That aluminum sissy coffee pot is for camping when you are truly roughing it. ;):P The big porcelain one is neat-O. Don't seem them a lot. I remember it from posts last week or so.

BTW, Pink Floyd coffee cup would scare me in the morning.

On 11/1/2017 at 2:01 PM, dirtmudd said:

that's not a Floyd cup...

it's king crimson in the court of the crimson king...

You can make fun..of my aluminum

single pot..just remember in a power

outage ...I will be having coffee !!!

but those are nos espresso pots..

from the early 60s..and with the box

too !

and I had the mug made 18 years ago...it was a heat transfer.. notice 

the eyes looking in the other direction..

On 11/1/2017 at 2:14 PM, rplace said:

Ahhh, right you are - my bad! My mind immediately jumped to some of the PF The Wall animation with the marching hammers and such. And I have those single pot things...they make good coffee when called upon, but I would not say espresso. This is a vintage espresso maker...Faema sponsored a bike team way back when so they are perfect in my book.

FAEMA-E61_550.jpg

Saluti! https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/the-long-history-of-the-espresso-machine-126012814/

On 11/1/2017 at 2:26 PM, rplace said:

Seems like it at times. 14-18 grams for a double shot, grinding just right for a 20-30 second pull then it changing every day or two as the beans age. Just when you get it right you run out of beans. I dump down the sink about 1/3 of what comes out of the machine. Too fast, too slow too thin, too thick. Almost as madding as which pressing of an LP by what guy that mastered it on a system that has the proper bias and tubes...oh wait THE CABLES!

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/learn/coffee-101/how-to-guides/pull-a-perfect-shot

On 11/1/2017 at 3:03 PM, CECAA850 said:

If you measure your tamp pressure and time your draw you can get really consistent results.  I do 30 lbs tamp and 25 seconds every time then adjust your grind to get exactly 1 or 2 oz (depending on basket).

On 11/1/2017 at 3:44 PM, rplace said:

I've got a calibrated tamper that you can feel click at 30 pounds and a pretty decent grinder so everything should be consistent but I'll get a 15 second shot, make the grid one setting finer and get no flow multiple times a week. I actually think it might be the pressure on the machine. Can't really explain it but when you start the shot and just before the coffee flows you can hear a change in the machine noise...all I can think is pressure building up....about 6 months ago that noise changed and now my shots are not consistent.

On 11/1/2017 at 3:45 PM, CECAA850 said:

Do you have external gauges?

On 11/1/2017 at 3:48 PM, CECAA850 said:

If you're getting a 15 second shot you should make the grind coarser, not finer, till you get a 25 second shot.

On 11/1/2017 at 4:51 PM, rplace said:

No external gauge, it is a Gaggia Classic....not super high end but not terrible either. As for the grind I want it finer so it takes longer, no? I don't want a 15 second shot I want closer to 30.

1. Grind Size

Imagine two pipes. One is full of rocks, the other is full of sand. Now imagine pumping water through the pipes. The rocks will obviously allow water through much more quickly than the sand.

This effect is the same with grind size and espresso. The finer/smaller your grind size, the slower the flow will be. The larger/coarser your grind size, the faster the flow will be.

This adjustment can be done with almost every coffee grinder, giving you the freedom to choose the time that it takes to achieve your target yield.

On 11/1/2017 at 4:56 PM, rplace said:

@CECAA850 What is really crazy is with almost certainty I have the same tamp or very darn close. My Baratza Vario has very fine control. How can I get super fast flow then nothing with I'm weighing out the beans to the tenth of a gram? 

On 11/1/2017 at 4:59 PM, CECAA850 said:

I've never weighed anything.  I normally fill the portafilter basket overfull then level it off with the back of a butter knife.

If you're having that type of problem then there's an issue with the machine not giving consistent pressure, that's why I asked about gauges.

On 11/1/2017 at 5:04 PM, dirtmudd said:

crack ? pumping water through the pipes bong ?

much more quickly This super high effect adjustment can be done with almost every pipe 

this is what I got out of this ?  think

that I might need glasses...

I'm glad we're talking about coffee..

On 11/1/2017 at 5:06 PM, rplace said:

Yea with no gauges I can't really tell...but I'm pretty sure that is the only variable. And with the change in noise the machine now makes due to how it always sounded I think it is pressure related or at a minimum something else with the machine. Not the tamp/dose/grind.

On 11/1/2017 at 5:09 PM, CECAA850 said:

Unless your burrs are loose or worn and your getting inconsistent grinds I would think it was the machine as well.

On 11/1/2017 at 5:13 PM, rplace said:

Reasonable thought given that I neglected to mention at other times I'll make 6-8 very consistent shots over a 2-day period. When that happens the machine sounds like it used to sound. I don't really know the internals but I know there is a pump and some pressure at the core of every espresso machine. I've not found similar mention of that problem with my machine searching on-line.

On 11/1/2017 at 5:16 PM, rplace said:

Descale it at least every 6 months. Fresh water anytime it sits for more than a week, like vacation etc.

On 11/1/2017 at 5:14 PM, CECAA850 said:

Do you run cleaner through it on occasion?

On 11/1/2017 at 5:26 PM, richieb said:

Thank you - I was getting my time machines and expresso makers all mixed up -- something a simpleton can easily do. 

On 11/1/2017 at 5:34 PM, rplace said:

Agree it was pretty straight forward for a long time....not to mention better and cheaper than most coffee shops local to me be it a big chain or boutique coffee house.

IMO espresso is coffee in its purest from and when done right unbeatable. If your throwing in milk, sugar and flavored chemical syrups who cares.

On 11/1/2017 at 5:35 PM, dirtmudd said:

On 11/1/2017 at 5:46 PM, dirtmudd said:

now it went full circled...!

https://papabear.com/miscpages/tlevcoffee.htm 

coffee.giftonycoff.jpg

Hi there, and welcome to the Coffee Corner

So much espresso related stuff was piling up on my site that it seemed best to devote a page to it. There are some /graphics: my design of the King Crimson touring valet, photos of the finished item, and some other machines. I've got some links to interesting coffee related sites I've found, there's a hysterical essay on coffee by Balzac, and if you've got RealAudio, you can play "Espresso & the Bed of Nails," a track from my cd World Diary, which begins with a sample of an espresso machine.
Cheers, 
clr_dot.gifpbtlinit.gif

clr_dot.gif
COFFEE ON THE ROAD: 
The 'Crim Valet' or 'Café Crim'

Blueprint of "Crim Valet"

pbvalet2.jpg
The "Crim Valet": the original design, and the final product which - in its 'road case' - 
accompanied the recent King Crimson European Tour as "Café Crim".

Excerpts from "Espresso Coffee - Professional Techniques" 
by David C. Schomer

"When adjusting your grind, think of yourself as a musician tuning your violin as its delicately balanced wood frame changes ever so slightly in response to increases and decreases in temperature and humidity."

"There is a golden rate of water flow, corresponding to about a 25 second extraction for a total shot, single or double, that maximizes flavor release and minimizes the amount of nasty acids and excessive caffeine that get into the final cup."

"Remember, coffee flavors are very volatile and more than a little cranky. Pre-grinding the coffee, even for a few moments, exposes the coffee oils to the air, which immediately, through the process of oxidation, begins to destroy flavor compounds."

"There is wide agreement that the pump for espresso making should be set between 8.2 and 9 atmospheres of pressure."

"Temperature control is the reason that the porta-filter is always kept in the head of the machine. These critical brewing baskets should never rest on the counter during business hours. If you see the group handles lying on the counter in an espresso shop, forget it. Go somewhere else for an espresso."

The Coffee Station THE COFFEE STATION

This is the "Coffee Station" device, built by my friend Ed Doyle

RealAudioESPRESSO
& THE BED OF NAILS

Here is "Espresso & the Bed of Nails", a track from WORLD DIARY, featuring the percussion group Nexus. It begins with a sample of my trusty (well, not too trusty) Gaggia, which was a major presence in the studio during the mix. (RealAudio 28.8 stream)

This selection requires the latest Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape with the NEW RealAudio plug-in. We urge you to download it (Version 5+) now from Real Audio.

pbwdgagg.jpg

Coffee ConnectionsCOFFEE CONNECTIONS

My trusty road machine is an Estro Profi, which has held up very well to constant travel. (I also have an identical Italian version, for some reason called 'Saeco' Rio Profi.)

Balzac on Coffee
  Coffee is a great power in my life; I have observed its effects on an epic scale. Coffee roasts your insides. Many people claim coffee inspires them, but, as everybody knows, coffee only makes boring people even more boring. ...as Brillat-Savarin has correctly observed, coffee sets the blood in motion and stimulates the muscles; it accelerates the digestive processes, chases away sleep, and gives us the capacity to engage a little longer in the exercise of our intellects. ...Coffee changes over time. Rossini has personally experienced some of these effects as, of course, have I. "Coffee," Rossini told me, "is an affair of fifteen or twenty days; just the right amount of time, fortunately, to write an opera." This is true. But the length of time during which one can enjoy the benefits of coffee can be extended. For a while - for a week or two at most - you can obtain the right amount of stimulation with one, then two cups of coffee brewed from beans that have been crushed with gradually increasing force and infused with hot water. For another week, by decreasing the amount of water used, by pulverizing the coffee even more finely, and by infusing the grounds with cold water, you can continue to obtain the same cerebral power. When you have produced the finest grind with the least water possible, you double the dose by drinking two cups at a time; particularly vigorous constitutions can tolerate three cups. In this manner one can continue working for several more days. Finally, I have discovered a horrible, rather brutal method that I recommend only to men of excessive vigor, men with thick black hair and skin covered with liver spots, men with big square hands and legs shaped like bowling pins. It is a question of using finely pulverized, dense coffee, cold and anhydrous, consumed on an empty stomach. ...this coffee falls into your stomach ... it brutalizes these beautiful stomach linings as a wagon master abuses ponies; the plexus becomes inflamed; sparks shoot all the way up to the brain. From that moment on, everything becomes agitated. Ideas quick-march into motion like battalions of a grand army to its legendary fighting ground, and the battle rages. Memories charge in, bright flags on high; the cavalry of metaphor deploys with a magnificent gallop; the artillery of logic rushes up with clattering wagons and cartridges; on imagination's orders, sharpshooters sight and fire; forms and shapes and characters rear up; the paper is spread with ink - for the nightly labor begins and ends with torrents of this black water, as a battle opens and concludes with black powder. ...When you have reached the point of consuming this kind of coffee, then become exhausted and decide that you really must have more,... you will fall into horrible sweats, suffer feebleness of the nerves, and undergo episodes of severe drowsiness. I don't know what would happen if you kept at it then: a sensible nature counseled me to stop at this point, seeing that immediate death was not otherwise my fate. To be restored, one must begin with recipes made with milk and chicken and other white meats: finally the tension on the harp strings eases, and one returns to the relaxed, meandering, simple-minded, and cryptogamous life of the retired bourgeoisie. The state coffee puts one in when it is drunk on an empty stomach under these magisterial conditions produces a kind of animation that looks like anger: one's voice rises, one's gestures suggest unhealthy impatience: one wants everything to proceed with the speed of ideas; one becomes brusque, ill-tempered about nothing... One assumes that everyone is equally lucid. A man of spirit must therefore avoid going out in public. I discovered this singular state ... some friends, with whom I had gone out to the country, witnessed me arguing about everything, haranguing with monumental bad faith. ... We found the problem soon enough: coffee wanted its victim.  

sub_back_to_stuff.gif

Last modified: 4-19-00

On 11/1/2017 at 5:46 PM, richieb said:

OK - this is tough for me but lets get serious. Say I want to begin brewing expresso - from start to finish grinding to brewing how much $$$$ does this require? And lets keep it real 'cause like with everything it can be taken to a ridiculous extreme. 

On 11/1/2017 at 6:15 PM, CECAA850 said:

You could probably get a decent machine and grinder for under $500 combined.

On 11/2/2017 at 6:34 AM, rplace said:

I'd put it at about $800-1,200 for a very solid set up of grinder, machine and accessories. I'd liken this to a set of Heresies with separate solid state amp and preamp and the CD/DVD player you already have sitting under you TV. The sky literally could be the limit just like if you were going to Jubs, bi/tri-amp and a turntable with a cartridge that costs more than a decent used car.

On 11/2/2017 at 7:25 AM, CECAA850 said:

Check out coffeegeek.com.  I spent a lot of time there when I purchased my stuff.  You can spend as much or as little as you like.

On 11/2/2017 at 8:47 AM, CECAA850 said:

That's where I bought my machine and grinder.

On 11/2/2017 at 9:00 AM, rplace said:

Me too. What did you get? My Gaggia Classic while good, even given its recent inconsistencies, has me itching for something new.  I think their rewards program is actually something useful. I've tried different coffees on the cheap from them with rewards points. That is how I found out about Atomic.

On 11/2/2017 at 9:30 AM, CECAA850 said:

I have a Rocky Rancilio grinder and an Isomac Relax machine.

20160722_182415.jpg

On 11/2/2017 at 9:32 AM, rplace said:

Good tip on the rice @jimjimbo. I bet that works like the Grindz product. I use the descaler on a regular basis and I've completely replaced the group head/gasket/screen once. I've never actually taken the boiler or internal guts apart. I did just see a WLL video on tearing down the boiler and soaking in descaler/hot water and scrubbing with a wire brush. Maybe that is my next move.

I actually take the top burr out of my grinder and clean it with the rest of my stuff in Cafiza. I blow out the rest of the grinder with compressed air. That is what a support guy from Baritza told me to do. Never turn it upside down and tap it to get the grinds out...the bottom burr will fall off the drive mechanism.

On 11/2/2017 at 11:24 AM, rplace said:

That grinder was on my short list when I purchased. Very nice. How do you like the Isomac? Every time I look around I keep coming back to this Expobar. I don't think you can go wrong with a Gaggia Classic for the first stab at things. As JimJimbo has found it could last you a lifetime. I think I'll have mine for a while longer.

expobar-office-lever-plus-semi-automatic

On 11/2/2017 at 1:24 PM, dirtmudd said:

sambuca , grappa , or anisette ?

in your espresso..

download.jpg

On 11/2/2017 at 1:46 PM, dirtmudd said:

Starbucks coffee is known to be bitter...I haven't had their espresso..

I also assume the espresso would

he the same...

try a independently owned shop by

you...might have better results...

I stop here..https://m.facebook.com/carusopastryshop/ and grab a pastries with it too...

17760829_10154383076831524_1097052549291977826_o.jpg

IMG_20170415_075012.jpg

On 11/2/2017 at 7:53 PM, dirtmudd said:

here you go Steve...I hope this makes you feel better.. 

and that looks good !

and just for her wow I'm going to

keep an eye out for her !!!

Turkish coffee

On 11/3/2017 at 7:14 AM, dirtmudd said:

it's that time I have some coffee 

On 11/3/2017 at 2:17 PM, CECAA850 said:

batman-meme.jpg

On 11/17/2017 at 11:38 PM, DizRotus said:

Done right, espresso is tasty.

Billybob 

A lot of restaurants use Buffalo China, which fits the description.  We use Buffalo China plates, bowls & mugs because they’re durable and retain heat.

84D3F0AF-6DAF-45AC-97B3-CEF34DE77E9F.jpeg

On 11/18/2017 at 7:36 AM, billybob said:

That and the more round with less base are right on target for my recollection Neil. Buffalo China! I could really live with that. Had a work connection with Buffalo, NY at one time. One employee there was always

helping me out. Think there are nice people everywhere yet, something maybe the weather.

Words like stoneware and boneware had come to mind. May have to treat myself as Santa has become

somewhat less reliable down here. There again, maybe the weather.

Thanks!

21 hours ago, DizRotus said:

You might also look for Hartstone Pottery from Zanesville, OH.  I’m enjoying my coffee from a Hartstone Schoolhouse mug at this moment.  If we’re anywhere near Zanesville, the wife insists upon stopping at Hartstone.  

9C106BC0-9275-462F-B1CA-57F97D63B2E0.jpeg

16 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

16 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I like the black and white ones.

I bought these 25 years ago...

IMG_20171120_141308_hdr.jpg

16 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I like the stainless/gold ones, but they won't hold much ice cream!

did you check out page 2 ?

15 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

No but I saved it to my favorites so I can look the whole site over when I have time.

15 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I just realized your link took me to page 1.  That's where the black and white ones are that I like.

14 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Yes I did, I noticed some 15 oz cups. Almost makes me want to start drinking coffee.

12 hours ago, billybob said:

Wow, thanks! Now the hard work begins. Too much time and too many choices.

Going to try and keep it simple:blush2::emotion-44:

12 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

4 or 6 cup set....?

or on the cheap ?

egh0410.jpg

12 hours ago, billybob said:

Alright, I give up...:emotion-44::lol:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billybob said:

You know funny how my go to cups, four at the moment never end up breaking . Knock on wood I guess. Going to a thicker cup for retaining heat longer.

Reading here that porcelain is best for that. May have to see. Coffee drinking for me is turning out to be on the slow and very slow side. LF laughs abit

at it. Of course, we both know about and use a microwave coffee re-heater. Still works for me. Have been wanting to buy some things lately for myself.

Treating self to new cap, glasses and next, shoe shopping and a new bomber jacket. Not any real biggie but, thinking some new shoes will help kill any blues, as the old song says.

Only one question then. Would you repeat the espresso experience made right again? Alright!

did that help ????

• Haha 1

In early discussions with Bob Latino's (ST-70 fame) partner Roy about doing some upgrades to my ancient Quicksilver Full Function preamp.  Will be sending the manual and layout for him to consider and make proposals.  I have had the chance to A-B it with the JM Blueberry Extreme and it holds it own but time and technology moves on and I'm hoping Roy can really hot rod it. 

Will keep you posted.

IMG_1358 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

In early discussions with Bob Latino's (ST-70 fame) partner Roy about doing some upgrades to my ancient Quicksilver Full Function preamp.  Will be sending the manual and layout for him to consider and make proposals.  I have had the chance to A-B it with the JM Blueberry Extreme and it holds it own but time and technology moves on and I'm hoping Roy can really hot rod it.....

Mmmmm, rack mount :wub:

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Yes but never mounted. 

I'm curious what Roy will say about an upgrade or whether I should buy one of their fine tube preamps.  I bought this unit used in 2005!

And you say you have a BBX? So do I, its pretty tough to beat IMO. I know over the years there was a falling out with Mark and most of the community here. Still it is a pretty sweet sounding Pre. Anything you don't like about the BBX or is it just time to change things up and scratch that New/Different/Upgrade/Sideways-grade itch. I totally get it. I'm never quite sure if it is the actual music or the quest for the perfect sound. I find in other hobbies like beer brewing I'm the same way. I've brewed for 20+ years but don't think my brewing system has stayed the same for 5 consecutive batches.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

OK Dirtmudd. I think know you set a record with that post. :o

In one post you had 13 quotes of yourself, Plus 36 quotes by others and all of that without one new word typed. :o:mellow::D

New coffee shipment, started buying by the ton ? :)

You  don't need to do it again, this record will probably stand forever, it's yours to keep. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1