Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Yeeeees Sir!  That place better be spotless when she gets home.  Remember to put a couple random flowers in that table vase?  No more slummin for you.  She's gonna flip out when she sees that shiny new Klipsch toaster you got for her.  Out back in the rock garden tomorrow buddy.   :)

Pomeranian Escaping Out Of Jail GIF - Out Of Jail Getting Out Of Jail Prison Break GIFs

• Haha 3

It's getting warmer here, we're getting the southern European warmer southwest winds. Nevertheless, it rains heavily coupled with strong winds. I was on the road again have visited a special railroad bridge. It is called " Ruhr viaduct "

The tracks cross the river at a height of 30 meters with a length of 313 meters; 24,400 cubic meters of quarry stone and 12 arches with a span of 20 meters each were required for this. In plan, the structure describes a slight curve with a radius of 380 meters. The bridge route with the tracks on it has a gradient of 0.5 percent.

In 1879, the line was inaugurated as a section of the cities Düsseldorf-Derendorf-Dortmund South railroad line ("Rheinische Strecke") of the former Rheinische Eisenbahn-Gesellschaft - a technical masterpiece for the time. The construction of the viaduct in the dimensions described was necessary in order to keep the length of the Ender Tunnel as short as possible in the further course of the line. The ascent of the associated railroad line already began at the southern foot of the Kaisberg at one percent; the desire of the planning engineers for a right-angled crossing of the Ruhr valley led to a curved design of the entire line on this section. The nearby Ruhr sandstone was used for construction.
Destruction

In May 1943, a pier of the viaduct was torn away by the ensuing tidal wave during the destruction of the Möhne barrage by Operation Chastise. An approaching passenger train was able to stop just 20 meters in front of the resulting gap

In 1945, two arches of the structure were blown up by the Wehrmacht. The viaduct was not rebuilt until 1952, when it had to be straightened because the collapse of the arches during the destruction of the war had affected the entire viaduct. It was not until 1957 that the first trains could cross the viaduct.

Today, anyone traveling on the Volmetal Railway on the line from city Hagen to  city Herdecke still crosses the Ruhr along the old route and can enjoy the view. At the southern end, the foundations of an anti-aircraft position can still be seen, which was used to protect the viaduct against air raids during World War II.

Witten_Ruhrviadukt2.thumb.JPG.8f6ec7ab95271353d7807462c804cf10.JPG

RuhrViadukt11.thumb.jpg.66e87e44d5c778359ada84872f1ef878.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 3/10/2023 at 7:08 AM, grasshopper said:

no passport... sorry!

I have never been there, but, I think I'm allergic to UK's weather. 

suffering the effects of operating a dirt wrench. Paid for that the last 2 days.... 

the school's bus driver quit and due to a lack of bus drivers in the school systems.... I am getting mileage to take wife to school. Wouldn't amount to much, if we were in a city.... but, this is a 48 mile r/t. I only have to stop the car twice en route. There are a couple 20mph turns, though... and they mean 20. They get tighter as you get further into the turn... hit it at 30 and it seems OK... for a second.

The old decreasing radius turn trick.  It's sucked in many people, in many places.

On the bright side, when going the opposite direction, the turn is increasing radius, so you can accelerate as the turn opens up.  The innocent passenger's reaction to this can be something between panic and acceptance that they will not survive this ride.  When you come onto the straight, you're carrying good speed, so adjust your braking marker accordingly.

• Like 3

there is one turn on Arivaca Rd, that is banked perfectly..... The sign suggests 35mph..... You can run through it at 55 easy and keep it in your lane. I speed up for it....And there is another one...it is banked OK....until it isn't. Halfway through the turn, it reverse banks on ya and you can get sucked off the road by it.

• Haha 2

I used to run through this corkscrew on my way to Boone all the time.

There is probably a good 30 feet of elevation change from one side to the other in addition to the tight curves.

One night I was bebopping along in my little Kia making an evening speed run up to King street before the stores closed.

I was making pretty good time right up to the point it got a little foggy and I kind of lost my bearings before suddenly realizing I was about to hit the top of the corkscrew doing about 50.

Clutch/Brake, both feet in and managed to aim straight into the driveway at the top of the first curve and get it stopped without hitting anything.

EE490423-1F86-411F-BC9B-7630294388F5.thumb.jpeg.77bf334524353ac310a9ae43428b3b6e.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

A little rain this morning.....much needed.  Checking out other audio sites to see what's kickin and to peruse gear for sale....like I need anything more.  Fun to look though.  Truth known I haven't played the first bit of music since last Sunday.

Two cups down...still grinding Mayorga beans.....still satisfying. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cold and some snow here?  That's crazy.  We get outta March and into April things will start poppin around here.  Maybe.  :)

Had to slip down to Dublin (a burb of Cbus) yesterday to see my eyemama, Shot in each eye and back in 6 weeks.  Here we go w/something else new and exciting.  She's married but great on the eyes in those scrubs.  That's the upside.  The downside?  She's ALL business. 

I soften her & the crew up every Valentine's day w/5# of candy from this lil shop up in Cleveland I know.  Gotta share the love since diabetics don't eat candy.  lol

Glad the new building OSU built out there isn't close to downtown.  Dublin?  Irish?  Yea, all green yesterday with traffic out the ying yang I'm sure.  Some serious drinkin goin on for sure in those high dollar bars.

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

like I need anything more.

Fact!  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

I used to run through this corkscrew on my way to Boone all the time.

There is probably a good 30 feet of elevation change from one side to the other in addition to the tight curves.

One night I was bebopping along in my little Kia making an evening speed run up to King street before the stores closed.

I was making pretty good time right up to the point it got a little foggy and I kind of lost my bearings before suddenly realizing I was about to hit the top of the corkscrew doing about 50.

Clutch/Brake, both feet in and managed to aim straight into the driveway at the top of the first curve and get it stopped without hitting anything.

EE490423-1F86-411F-BC9B-7630294388F5.thumb.jpeg.77bf334524353ac310a9ae43428b3b6e.jpeg

You omitted a crucial bit of information:  which direction were you going?  It's probably obvious when you're standing there, but from a vertical view on a video screen, not so much.  Did you enter the picture at top left or at bottom right?  No disrespect to you, but I don't know the level of your driving skills (okay, I have some idea), and as we all know, some people can mess up ANY turn.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Islander said:

You omitted a crucial bit of information:  which direction were you going?  It's probably obvious when you're standing there, but from a vertical view on a video screen, not so much.  Did you enter the picture at top left or at bottom right?  No disrespect to you, but I don't know the level of your driving skills (okay, I have some idea), and as we all know, some people can mess up ANY turn.

Entering from the top left which is the higher elevation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, grasshopper said:

This means war. I am calling any/all govt reps and complaining.

I see "grasshopper" on a Govt Watch List in your future.

4 hours ago, grasshopper said:

would that be "home defense"?

After reading all of that L2R stuff, T2Bottom stuff I'm glad I'm just along for the ride.  :)  Who's driving anyway?  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

I'd eat that up in my old 83 928 S.  It would have been work and a lil slip slidin but I'd make it out pedal to the footbox.  :)  That's one car I wish I had back.  Pure joy to drive.l

Those are gorgeous cars and a really timeless design.

There is a 928 club that descends on Banner Elk the first or second weekend of June each year and there is usually a good 30+ Porsche 928’s running around the area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1