Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Good morning friends...............:emotion-44:

Glad you and the LF enjoyed that show Chuck, and yes, it was good to catch up with you via phone ^_^..... 

Ok,  day TWO of my 'at home' vacation week..  Off to the autobody as mentioned shortly...  

Then, it's getting back home to work on painting window case and frames that have needed my attention for a number of years (we don't have vinyl/modern but at least they are double pane), and then an audio project in Music Hall to get ready for Music Appreciation Day this Saturday..    :emotion-21:  :emotion-29:  

Enjoy your day everyone ;)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tigerman said:

Good morning friends...............:emotion-44:

Glad you and the LF enjoyed that show Chuck, and yes, it was good to catch up with you via phone ^_^..... 

Ok,  day TWO of my 'at home' vacation week..  Off to the autobody as mentioned shortly...  

Then, it's getting back home to work on painting window case and frames that have needed my attention for a number of years (we don't have vinyl/modern but at least they are double pane), and then an audio project in Music Hall to get ready for Music Appreciation Day this Saturday..    :emotion-21:  :emotion-29:  

Enjoy your day everyone ;)

Although I usually don't look forward to home maintenance, It's always rewarding when I'm finished with it. It's a job that has to be done.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, richieb said:

I had a roof put on yesterday. I didn't do it. That's hard work. It was fun watching. Looks great. Heading back out to look at my new roof with a hot cup of joe in hand ---  

I see flat tires in your future.  You also need to get a ladder and check your gutters.  Some roofers leave them full of roofing debris.

• Sad 1

Drive has been gone over with their magnetic thingy, their gas blower, my gas blower and I've broomed it, twice. I kinda watched them clean up and they blew all debris off roof and it appeared, gutters. A good crew I believe. And I think it helps when you fill their  ice cooler with fresh ice and all the extra drinks they needed. And many compliments on the look/job they did. Small things, yes, but at least gives an impression you are somewhat involved and appreciative of the work being done.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, richieb said:

Drive has been gone over with their magnetic thingy, their gas blower, my gas blower and I've broomed it, twice. I kinda watched them clean up and they blew all debris off roof and it appeared, gutters. A good crew I believe. And I think it helps when you fill their  ice cooler with fresh ice and all the extra drinks they needed. And many compliments on the look/job they did. Small things, yes, but at least gives an impression you are somewhat involved and appreciative of the work being done.

That's a great idea. It doesn't take much to let people know you appreciate their work. 

I built a new home years ago. Every day I would deliver a cooler full of water, Gatorade, cookies, chips, nothing fancy. The crews would go out of their way to give me a good job and clean up. 

Roofing is a tough job.

• Like 4

The same goes for flat work which is equally as tough a job. And in general these crews speak little English but understand you being appreciative of what they do. I thanked them again as they left and shook their hands. When our drive was put in, middle of summer hotter than helll, I was talking with the crew lead about what a tough job he had and how hard he was working, one job after another. He looked at me and said matter of factly   - "it's what I do. Its my job". 

• Like 4

I might chime in with the contractor talk.......and you guys are right!, every bit of thankfulness for jobs well done IS appreciated!  

When it came time to tile the first floor, and our tile and materials from HD with contractor provided, hands down, this fellow worked his butt off!   Spent five days here all by himself, worked a couple of 8am. to 9:30pm. days too !   But the job was fantastic !  As many of you have seen the floor in Music Hall...   I can slide things around and NEVER get caught on an edge.  He set each tile by EYE and never used the little toggle spacers....

Thing is, when the house was built, the first floor (concrete) was totally wall to wall  carpet, and in this state/town, the floor does not have to meet a spec. for perfect flatness if using carpet.   So, now that we were going to tile,  he had to make sure it was all even, because the concrete floor was NOT.    He told me in some places only an 8th inch of thin set.   Other areas OVER an inch !!  Should have seen him with that level, constant checking and re-checking.

He allowed me to take photos of him while working.     When the job was done, I was SURE to get his email address and send him photos of the room once it was all setup...   We stayed in touch for a long while, and I again thanked him for his hard work....:)

TODAY, I dropped my Escape off to the body shop to get that dent fixed..   The gal that came out to mark up the areas to be worked on was VERY appreciative for the way I have kept up my 5+ year old SUV and that I had washed it last night according to their wishes that it come in to there shop clean...!   I thanked her for the compliment and went on about my OCD or something like that which she got a big laugh...

As I was waiting for my ride in the side room, the owner of the shop came out to me and said they were already getting ready to take things apart to help expedite the job...   They DO take their time there, but the reputation is second to non.   I told him to just do what ever they need to do, as I was planning on the 2 week turn around time they mentioned it would take...He thanked me for my patience...  :emotion-21:

So, those are my two stories....

Back to looking for my paints and supplies to start my work............if I push that to tomorrow, I can always start trimming the maple tree limbs that are taking over the yard !  :o

(PS.   I woke this morning to my email and reports from eBay that my Cambridge Audio Preamp has SOLD !   WOW, took only a couple of weeks, but a fellow from Washington State  took it away for my asking price!!   This paid for the new toys being added to Music Hall as of later tonight :lol:)   

• Like 4

• Moderators
15 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Hey Chuck -- give the LF a Happy Birthday wish from me. Hope you both enjoyed the show.

Yes please, tell her Happy late Birthday, it rough on them when they reach the late 30's, you have to be nice to them.

• Like 3

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Tigerman said:

Smart thing to do, especially now before the big freeze sets in. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

You didn't hear Elden, they cancelled winter for us northerners! 85 here today, and that will be the high all winter long :D

I'll get back with you on that in a few months. :o:D

If we traded temperatures for just one year, people down here would be in big trouble. We do not build down here for that type of cold, it would be a great year to be a plumber if looking for alot of work.  

When we were up there a few weeks ago working with Michael and we were talking about his workshop. He said you know how you dig out past the freeze line and fill with crushed rock before you pour the slab, I stopped him and I said NO, no I don't know about that,:huh: we have no freezing under the surface at all, slabs go on the ground, a water line 1" underground will never freeze. He kind of just looked at me surprised. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

You didn't hear Elden, they cancelled winter for us northerners! 85 here today, and that will be the high all winter long :D

You might be high all winter but not at 85 degrees. B):P

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dtel said:

I'll get back with you on that in a few months. :o:D

If we traded temperatures for just one year, people down here would be in big trouble. We do not build down here for that type of cold, it would be a great year to be a plumber if looking for alot of work.  

When we were up there a few weeks ago working with Michael and we were talking about his workshop. He said you know how you dig out past the freeze line and fill with crushed rock before you pour the slab, I stopped him and I said NO, no I don't know about that,:huh: we have no freezing under the surface at all, slabs go on the ground, a water line 1" underground will never freeze. He kind of just looked at me surprised. 

Haha. The freeze line here is 32" in the ground, 36" in the northern part of the state.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dtel said:

If we traded temperatures for just one year, people down here would be in big trouble.

but he probably still gets the humidity.  I’ll bet not as bad as you do.  Do you ever get acclimated to humidity or does it always just suck?  I know this cat in North Carolina (Not our beloved Tarheel) that told me that you never get used to humidity, you just live with it. 

• Like 1