Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

News flash................................................it's raining.

Looks like it should pass by Thursday morning which is the day we're leaving to drive to Tampa.  I have a nephew that's getting married.  Should be fun.

• Like 5

An ode to the coffee bean:

Coffee old friend, what say thee now pray tell

Speak to me of your wondrous taste and effect

In your native language tell me tales of lore, of

places wherein you have sharpened your skill

Columbia, old and praised beyond compare

Show me your virtue  Is it in the bean where your

beauty lies sleeping, nurtured by the tropical

rain upon your head, falling to the ancient soil below

Or pray, is it the tropical sunshine, upon your noble

shell that creates your unrivaled flavor and richness

Ol bean, tell me your secret   Put me out of your mystery

Fair yet strong bean, what have you to reveal to me

Edited by billybob
  • Like 2

Morning all! 

Our neck of the great northwest is a little lit up right now due to forest fires.  We have had an extended stretch of temps in the mid to upper 80's which is our top end.  Dry and hot, the tinder box is in motion.  The bigger fire we have going is about 25 miles up the highway - approximately 8,000 acres involved estimated 40-45 structures burned, estimated 25 homes destroyed.  Kind of a big deal for us, looking forward to some relief from rain. 

Nature is certainly humbling.  This fire grew from 20 acres at about 1:30p on Sunday afternoon to 1600 acres in a matter of 4 hours and on to 6500 acres by evening.  It's incredible how fast it can go, by that evening it was like a military theater with fire fighting planes passing over our house in formation to and from the fire.  Prayers to all involved up there, no loss of life, some loss of animals.  With as dry as it is, there is a tension in the community that this doesn't recur somewhere else before we get some rain.  Our incredible mountains are currently veiled in haze.

Still making time for coffee this morning, hope all is well with you all!

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/sockeye-fire-destroys-dozens-of-structures-displaces-200-people/33586526

• Like 3

extended stretch of temps in the mid to upper 80's which is our top end.
It's over 90 here with the heat index close to 100. Plus the old southern humidity.

Sorry to hear about the fires. My brother and his wife had all that going on in Colorado Springs a couple of years ago and it isn't pretty.

Bruce

• Like 3

Where you been Dave?  Be safe!

Life has been in high gear and I have only been checking in periodically.  No regrets though, it's "our way" up here, outside all the time to make up for the hibernation through the long winter!  :-)

• Like 3

Thinking about ordering similar but upgraded and starting me a bank of deep cycles for these power outages and maybe most important these blazing hot ac outages. If we have to campout and still have electricity, we should consider ourselves fortunate:

http://www.amazon.com/RENOGY®-Premium-Solar-Panel-Polycrystalline/dp/B00HKLLHR2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Mono cryst.... panels an upgraded controller to 30 amp with a couple or four batts to start may be the ticket.!?!

Not a solar generator. hooked to grid but off/independent system for emergencies. Others here on forum probably have done some of this for various reasons, maybe. May check it out soon after researching. First I will try to keep runs of, dare I say it...cables short, like me and replace with copper as needed. Wonder if they make snakeoil cables? :)

• Like 2

Almost forgot that, thanks! Getting one of those too as backup or in case. Researching that. Honda I am certain make a good one. Would like db's in the 50's or less, long running time at 50% of gas tank, say 10 hours+, and 4 stroke. Do not want very much.

Onan?

Edited by billybob
  • Like 2

Could see myself actually getting down from my pedestal and having an active hobby of some benefit and interest to me, like staying cool,lol

Hardly original but a mod on a sat system polar mount with  solar tracking would be more efficient. Do not like the outside part much anymore but, need to research if phased array panel technology exists. An interesting crossover or natural area of design to pursue, imlo.

Having such an array makes it more convenient and low profile, and yes, more efficient if design is successful. Questionable

• Like 1

Generac makes good ones as well as Honda.  Hondas are about the quietest (and most expensive).

Generac makes good ones as well as Honda.  Hondas are about the quietest (and most expensive).

Alright, have heard of them. Will include in search!

• Like 1

I have a Generac whole house Generator that has worked flawlessly for years along with their their switch box.  No need for gas or diesel as it runs off natural gas.  It's not as quiet as a Honda but extremely reliable.  Other than maintenance I had the battery charger replaced under warranty and I've had to replace the battery in it once since then as well.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Well were back and it was fun, I have some reading to do here and to catch up with Marks travels, hope he isn't terrorizing the east to bad ?    :lol:

I really couldn't say anything because it was a surprise for the man and people who let us use there property and clubhouse for the last klipsch get together, some people out there read here. :ph34r:

Edited by dtel
  • Like 4

Nat gas from the utility or can you run it off tanks purchased at a store?

It will run off propane (20 kW) or natural gas (18kW).  I've  been through 2 bad hurricanes where we lost power for 8 days with one and 3 days with another.  One ice storm took us off the grid for 3 days.  In all cases, I still had natural gas which is how I have mine set up.  15 seconds of continuous lack of electrical service and it switches over the house to the generator.

• Like 2