Any Steely Dan Fans?

willland

I have come to really appreciate what Becker and Fagen can do. The arrangements are incredible, the recordings should be the templates on how to record, and need I mention dynamic range. These guys will never be accused of scaling down for the digital era.

I picked up a "Two Against Nature" CD about two months ago and just ordered the "Aja" CD from Amazon for $4.99 which came with an MP3 download from Amazon Cloud Player. If the Aja CD is at least as good as the MP3 download, then I know I am in for a treat. I converted the MP3 with dBpoweramp(free trial) to LAME MP3 at 320kbs. I compared it to an also converted WAV copy and could not tell the difference. When the CD arrives, I will rip it also in WAV and LAME MP3 and A-B them.

Steely Dan's music has become my go to demo music to show off and test my gear, in 2-channel and multichannel.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 2

So, who can hear the difference between lossless (I use AIFF) and lossy (I use AAC).

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but there's only a handful of recordings where I can notice a difference. I think Apple's AAC is similar to 320kps MP3s.

I can sometimes. When I first started ripping CD's I ripped them with Windows to MP3's and then ripped the same songs to lossless WAV with Windows and there was a very noticeable difference on some of the recordings. dBpoweramp does a better job at ripping than Windows IMO so the audible differences are more subtle.

Bill

Edited by willland

I picked up a "Two Against Nature" CD about two months ago and just ordered the "Aja" CD from Amazon for $499.00 which came with an MP3 download from Amazon Cloud Player. If the Aja CD is at least as good as the MP3 download, then I know I am in for a treat. I converted the MP3 with dBpoweramp(free trial) to LAME MP3 at 320kbs. I compared it to an also converted WAV copy and could not tell the difference. When the CD arrives, I will rip it also in WAV and LAME MP3 and A-B them.

Please tell me that's a typo. Becker & Fagen are both geniuses but 499.00?!

Repost which AJA CD you receive. The '84 Steve Hoffman remaster is much better than the '99 Roger Nichols issue.

If you like Steely Dan, you should also check out The Nightfly, Donald Fagen's first solo album. It's often cited as one of the best-mixed and recorded albums, plus there are a number of top musicians contributing to the sound on it.

That's a trademark of both their solo stuff and Steely Dan albums. A veritable who's who in music records and tours with them.

• Like 1

So, who can hear the difference between lossless (I use AIFF) and lossy (I use AAC).

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but there's only a handful of recordings where I can notice a difference. I think Apple's AAC is similar to 320kps MP3s.

Considering how cheap large storage is these days I rip everything in two formats, WAV for everything I'm going to play through the main systems and 192kps to load Denise's player that she listens to when exercising, so I've never really compared them because I never listen to the lossy.

Repost which AJA CD you receive. The '84 Steve Hoffman remaster is much better than the '99 Roger Nichols issue.

It's the 99 remastered version.

It still does very well in dynamic range.

Album Details Steely Dan - Aja Artist: Steely Dan Album: Aja Year: 1999 DR Album:
DR Track min:
DR Track max:
DR Tracks:
(might not be in original order) Label: MCA Label Code: Catalog Number: 811 745-2 Bar Code: 5 011781 174526 Country: EU Comment: Remaster of 1977 album Source: lossless

VS

Original LP

Album Details Steely Dan - Aja Artist: Steely Dan Album: Aja Year: 1977 DR Album:
DR Track min:
DR Track max:
DR Tracks:
(might not be in original order) Label: Label Code: Catalog Number: Bar Code: Country: Comment: Source: lossy

21JJCP2J6DL.jpg

I have always enjoyed the music of Steely Dan.... It is amazing how many folks haven't looked up the origin of the bands name....

Always funny when a woman explains how much she loves Steely Dan...

Edited by Boxx
  • Like 1

It's the 99 remastered version.

I would be hugely disappointed if the vinyl release out performed that CD! Heh heh...

In your future music shopping journies try to find the Hoffman mastered issue. For ~$5.00 it won't break the bank.

I have all three and the difference is quite audible.