RF-7's or Cornwall III's

I'm a newbie and this is my first post. I've got a income tax refund burning a hole in my pocket and I'm thinking about buying a new pair of speakers.

Everybody seems to be pushing you toward used. If I had the funds, I'd certainly buy new. There's nothing like that new speaker smell. You'd also be helping out Klipsch.

• Like 2

I thought OP said RF7... not RF7II

He then said it would be the newest version of either speaker.

my bad... sorry about that

so true, there is nothing like new... unless it's buying used in new condition and saving a LOT of money.

Edited by Schu

Thanks for all the replies! I want the CW's but looks like i'm gonna be just a tad bit short on space, (unless I make a few mods). What do you think about this receiver for either (Yamaha Aventage RX-A3020 150 wpc)?

2 channel system, may add surrounds and a sub later, not sure about that.

Edited by chad_amarillo

I own both these speakers ( Cornwall 1 and 7ii ). They are both really really good. I do think the corn is a tad better over all if I had to pick one. But I ran them against each other a ton and it's close. Used corns would be a better value. But if you think you will do ht at some point the 7s have a matching center and sides so keep that in mind.

the corns do to ref. more corns! Lol
True lol. I could down stairs in my ht but not upstairs. I already filled her room with big Cornwalls and heresys.

I see your point though if they have room :)

I would think the CW's would have to get the nod for 2 channel listening. The 7's would be a better choice for HT since they can be matched with other speakers such as a center channel. Back to 2 channel - if that's your focus, you can probably do better than a Yamaha receiver. I was surprised some years ago when I moved from a receiver to a nice Marantz integrated and then again when I upgraded to Parasound separates. Better amps made the CW's come alive, and they sounded pretty good to start with! Best of luck.

Listen before you buy would be my recommendation. Wow I am lame. In my opinion you should listen if possible to your ears. They are difference speakers for sure, but no more or less than people who purchase those speakers and play them. If that does not work I would say buy a LT3 Z51 2014 Corvette with no test drive,

Listen before you buy would be my recommendation.

If you are going to buy new, go online to Klipsch (or phone) and ask where you can hear a Cornwall III and RF7IIs in the same room. It would interesting to see if there is such a place in our galaxy.

If there is any way to hear a Forte or Forte II as well, that would be good. Both have been discontinued by Klipsch.

I suspect the Cornwall III best your best bet.

Edited by Garyrc

Thanks for all the replies! I want the CW's but looks like i'm gonna be just a tad bit short on space, (unless I make a few mods). What do you think about this receiver for either (Yamaha Aventage RX-A3020 150 wpc)?

2 channel system, may add surrounds and a sub later, not sure about that.

The RX-A3020 should work quite well, especially if you're using just two channels. Since most receivers and stereo amps have only one power supply to feed all the channels, you'll get the full rated power when feeding one or two channels, but when running 5, 6, or more channels, the power per channel drops quite a bit.

Down the road, if you want to upgrade your electronics, you can use the receiver's Pre Outs to feed a high-quality external power amp. It will make a noticeable difference.

As for a sub, nearly all speakers need the assistance of a sub, since speakers that have solid response down to 25 Hz or lower usually cost over $50,000. Even those speakers often sound better with a subwoofer to fill in the bottom octave.

With a properly-integrated sub, it's surprising to hear how much deep bass content is in everyday programming, like TV ads, radio show lead-in themes, and most music. It's not just for movie explosions.

I have a modified Cornwall (Cornscala) and a rebuilt Scott tube amp. I would put it up against $50,000 to $100,000 modern systems - example Focal Utopia speakers and Krell amplification. So far it's unanimous for my system sounding more realistic……and that's the whole point, isn't it?