RF-7's or Cornwall III's

I'm a newbie and this is my first post. I've got a income tax refund burning a hole in my pocket and I'm thinking about buying a new pair of speakers. I've always wanted a pair of Cornwalls, but am also considering the RF-7's. I am also leaning toward a Yamaha Aventage RX-A3020 receiver. The Yamaha is rated at 150 wpc. Is this enough or not enough? Please Help!!!!

• Like 1

welcome to the forum Chad, 150 wpc is perfect. i have owned both sets of speakers you are thinking of buying and what it comes down to is

do you like skinny speakers or do you like wide speakers. in other words do you have the room for cornwalls, they are 2' wide

another thing are you going with 2 channel or 5 channel ?

Edited by Budman

you could buy used and save a TON of money. at least with the cornwalls. it really depends on what you can accomodate. i dont own rf-7ii but have heard them and i prefer my cornwalls. i also thought i would never would like the look of cornwalls in my home, boy was i wrong! i bought them without the wifes permission. not they are the only ones i am never allowed to sell. she likes them that much. i think she is a fan of the walnut veneer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Cornwall-III-Main-Stereo-Speakers-NEW-/291018501593?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item43c20dedd9

there might be a descent pair with free shipping. save you a bit. although not sure what a new set can be had from acoustic sound design. i think they sell heritage stuff.

i dont see much on the used market. at least on ebay. i am sure there are lots of corns on search tempest right now. shipping will be hard with speakers that big though. good luck with your search

guess i type too slow. thats what happens when your wife sets a plate of hot cookies from the oven when you trying to help someone out lol!!

I started just a bit over a year ago. I bought a pair of RF 82's used and a new Yamaha AVR can't remember which one but I think it was a RV-X 675. After a couple of weeks I upgraded the AVR to RX-A730. After a few more weeks I upgraded to Emotiva UMC-1 with separate adcom amps. After about 10 months I bought a pair of CW II's. I strongly considered RF 7's. After 2 months with the CW's I upgraded the amp to a SET 12w class A amp that runs EL 34's and I had the crossovers re done by Aletheia (aka Dean G). I am pretty damn happy with my current set up. It was interesting getting here.

If your primary use will be music, then yes hands down Heritage. INMHO nothing beats a 3 way speaker. As others have mentioned consider used. Also if you like the Cornwall sound you should also consider the Forte and Chorus line. INMHO both are more refined and musical than the Cornwall.

Best regards,

John

• Like 1

I'm a newbie and this is my first post. I've got a income tax refund burning a hole in my pocket and I'm thinking about buying a new pair of speakers. I've always wanted a pair of Cornwalls, but am also considering the RF-7's. I am also leaning toward a Yamaha Aventage RX-A3020 receiver. The Yamaha is rated at 150 wpc. Is this enough or not enough? Please Help!!!!

This is worth your consideration, the best qualities of both and better than either. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala-style-d.html

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

I own both these speakers ( Cornwall 1 and 7ii ). They are both really really good. I do think the corn is a tad better over all if I had to pick one. But I ran them against each other a ton and it's close. Used corns would be a better value. But if you think you will do ht at some point the 7s have a matching center and sides so keep that in mind.

Edited by reference_head
  • Like 1

I own both these speakers ( Cornwall 1 and 7ii ). They are both really really good. I do think the corn is a tad better over all if I had to pick one. But I ran them against each other a ton and it's close. Used corns would be a better value. But if you think you will do ht at some point the 7s have a matching center and sides so keep that in mind.

the corns do to ref. more corns! Lol