The best looking La Scala ever?

Max2

Personally I like Klipsch & La Scalas & those are neither; La Scala like clones, or mods?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Other than the X-over, the custom mid horn and various bracing, they're stock per the article. I really like how he went the painted route, and a different color direction than I have ever seen anyone take. I counted on them having a 2 inch mid driver, but even with the 55, they have to sound great.

Anyone know the history behind these? Custom Volti's?

Here is info about these unusual LaScalas and matching subwoofer.

Thanks for posting Mach1. Seeing projects like this really makes me want to dust the cobwebs off the table saw .

Edited by Max2
  • Like 1

You guys crack me up. I owned a LaScala cab that I picked up for $10 that had the woofer access on top, so 2 panels and the K400 had to be removed to get to the K33. They went through a few interations before they got it right for for all the user parameters.

When I visited the Klipsch factory in 1985, still owned by Paul, and with Gary Gillum as chief engineer back then, more than one factory guy told me: "Things change slow here."

Acoustically there's not much difference in the woofer rotation, BUT in terms of woofer access and ease of construction, now there's the main reason for the way it's been made, so you can stop wondering.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 2

Acoustically there's not much difference in the woofer rotation,

I tried mine both ways, first with the bass bin in horizontal placement, I measured music output with my SPL meter 1 foot in front of the speaker. I noticed 3 to 6 dB more output from the bottom opening. I guess this is the coupling effect. Next a ran a 400 cps sine wave, moving the meter from the upper bass mouth to the K400 mouth. I noticed the meter moving a lot, more output from the K-400 than upper bass mouth. Again 1 foot from speaker.

Then I placed the bass bin vertically, now I got equal music sound output from both sides of the dog house. Then with the 400 cps tone, a very equal transition in output from center of bass bin up to center of the K400 mid horn. Again 1 foot from front.

Just my non technical testing from 40 years ago, still in my memory banks. :mellow:

Well, we listen from 10 feet away and NOT 1 ft. away, so, after the blending of all horns has occurred in the reverberant field, which is 90% of the sound at that point. "It don't make no difference."

PWK himself didn't get too excited about time delays in all the heritage speakersand the slight deviation from a "perfect exponential" when he and Gary Gillum applied for a patent on the MWM woofer. I don't think we should either.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Lost my turntable in 1990; I'm not looking for it, although I do have all the albums on tape; haven't used the Nakamichi BX-300 tape deck this century.

Might buy the CD, because that song sounds so good, loud.

Edited by Sancho Panza
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...