Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

You might want to check out making the frame out of extruded aluminum... I just priced out the aluminum for a 180" screen and it was around $250 if using 1x2"... The advantage is you can use t-nuts for attaching with grommets. You can make it up yourself.... No having to drill a bunch of holes in the frame. If you go with the slot attachment method... You might want to check, because you might be able to use the "T" slot for attaching the screen material to the screen. The "T" slot also looks like it might be asy to attach a velvet covered wood frame to the front too. I think this is the way I am going to go. :)

A metal frame has been considered, but not at that price. It will likely bee a wood frame using screen tight. Metal will be used for stiffing where needed.
Is that too high for you? I am looking at 1x3, but you would be able to go with 1x1 if you use some "L" brackets to attach it to the wood wall.

It just doesn't make sence to use aluminum for $250 when I can weld a solid steel one for $100.

Regardless of how cheap Youth is. Unessesary expense that provides no real benefit.

I was looking at it as a way that he could make it himself.. For me I went with the grommets which the aluminum makes it much easier as you don't have to drill, and tap all the holes for the grommet attachment points on the frame... Plus with the extruded aluminnum he might be able to for go the grommets and be able to use the slots on the t channel to install the screen like a window screen is installed using the slots.

It just doesn't make sence to use aluminum for $250 when I can weld a solid steel one for $100

Unless weight was a factor, depending on the solid steel your using and how big the frame is it could get pretty heavy.

• Like 1

• Moderators
I am actually helping Youth build his room. He is not on his own.

Well from the way Youthman talks, that's a very good thing, he can stick with his skiing, oh wait never mind, :o stick with keeping the kids going in the right direction. :D

• Like 1

• Moderators
he might be able to for go the grommets

Ok, I guess I'm not frugal....I am a cheapskate. I just looked on Seymour's website and they say

At typical screen uses 45 to 65, depending on size. Price is $3 each.

That would be $135 - $195 just for the grommets. I think I'll go with Wake's screen tight system. ;)

• Like 1

he might be able to for go the grommets

Ok, I guess I'm not frugal....I am a cheapskate. I just looked on Seymour's website and they say

At typical screen uses 45 to 65, depending on size. Price is $3 each.

That would be $135 - $195 just for the grommets. I think I'll go with Wake's screen tight system. ;)

If you wanted to go with the grommets you can buy your own and install them yourself too, but if you have another method that will work for you then I say go for it! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Screen should be shipping this week! Wakejunkie and his family are coming down this Thursday to hang out with us for the weekend. I'll start a separate build thread to document the entire build process.

• Like 2

Screen should be shipping this week! Wakejunkie and his family are coming down this Thursday to hang out with us for the weekend. I'll start a separate build thread to document the entire build process.

Have they notified you of it shipping yet... I haven't heard anything since last week when they said minbe will ship early this week too.

• Moderators

Not yet, the last email I received was on 06/23/14

Hi Michael-
Yes I just saw that your order is in the XD order stack. We should get it shipped out tomorrow by the end of the day. Still catching up from being out of the material. :) Let us know if you have any other questions and I will be happy to help.

Regards,
Jon

• Moderators

Just received an email from Jon

Hi Michael-

I apologize that I was slightly off in my estimate of shipping out yesterday. The screen was cut yesterday but not in time to make the FedEx ground pickup. Your is all packaged and ready to ship today with the following tracking information.
  • Like 1

exciting! Wish I had a talented friend who lived close who knew how to build stuff like wake.

Just received an email from Jon

Hi Michael-

I apologize that I was slightly off in my estimate of shipping out yesterday. The screen was cut yesterday but not in time to make the FedEx ground pickup. Your is all packaged and ready to ship today with the following tracking information.

Well ya beat me on getting it shipped... Mine is so big they have to use a special table and they have to finish a pull down screen before they start on mine. Luckily I am still waiting on the carpet to be installed, so I am not in a rush. They said sometime next week I should get it if it ships by friday. :)