Youthman's First Heritage Speakers...the LaScalas

Youthman

Actually i only run the set on the bottom. The set on top were brought in from the garage to do a little experiment to see how they would sound upside down and 3 feet off the ground. The top tweeter cabinet has new crossovers and tweeters in it and goes to the bottom bass bins. I'm just using the second tweeter cabs as a spacer. So far so good. As soon as I get another set of crossovers and tweeters for the second pair I might try them as mtm but that's another thread.

Didn't read the whole thing but congrats on moving to the better end of the line :P

I have H1s to Cornerhorns skipping a few here and there, I never did like the skinny new ones.

The hole is deep and the slope is steep, soon you will be redesigning the room to take corner hons, I give you 2 years.

After a long night of listening and part of a morning doing paperwork in front of the la scalas I will say yes you can flip them and have them off the floor without any issues as long as you tune accordingly. My soundstage is of course higher now, maybe a foot higher, but a slight forward tilt will solve this for me in 2 ch listening although it might be welcomed with your screen. Doesn't affect my listening pleasure. Most notably, the response from the lower end of the range has increased. I did have to add some low end at the amp, but I no longer have to lean forward on my couch to hit the sweet spot ( shallow 12 foot room, couch against back wall) keep in mind this is an untreated room so not an ideal test enviroment, but good enough to get an idea of what to expect. So to answer, yes, raise them,flip them, and enjoy. Just keep in mind every room is different.

• Moderators
Didn't read the whole thing but congrats on moving to the better end of the line :P

Thanks Cal. But I just can't understand why you aren't willing to give up an entire weekend to reading through this thread. :lol:

The hole is deep and the slope is steep, soon you will be redesigning the room to take corner hons, I give you 2 years.

I'm sure anything is a possibility but I just don't see it happening. Three LaScalas up front is more than enough from what I've heard so far.

Thx McMira for trying the LaScalas upside down. You are correct, they are heavy and aren't easy to stack together. I can always try them both ways once the wall is build and see which sounds the best.

• Like 1

31 pages on a set of scalas, c'mon man

EDIT- 32 pages

Yeah, no kidding. My Quarter Pie Bass Horns stomp LaScalas using a little more plywood and floor space with the same K-33 drivers, and I never got this many pages. LOL.

Claude, is this the equivalent to a jealous rage for you :rolleyes: All this time I thought the problem was thin bass vs. 1/4 pie bass horns but all along it was page count :o

• Like 2

Thanks Cal. But I just can't understand why you aren't willing to give up an entire weekend to reading through this thread. :lol:

The hole is deep and the slope is steep, soon you will be redesigning the room to take corner hons, I give you 2 years. +1

I'm sure anything is a possibility but I just don't see it happening. Three LaScalas up front is more than enough from what I've heard so far.

Youth, "more than enough" is quite relative and subjective! :) You're just farther down this hole than many of us and I am already excited to read your KHorn review! Since we're all pretty accomplished at spending each others money... Get on with it! ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators
Youth, "more than enough" is quite relative and subjective! :) You're just farther down this hole than many of us and I am already excited to read your KHorn review! Since we're all pretty accomplished at spending each others money... Get on with it! ;)

You guys are such enablers. :P

• Like 1

Haha Steven. Not fond of that myself. That's a lot of replies. You guys sure do talk a lot. :D

couple months ago I went to wal mart to grab lunch. Grabbed a single plate meal, sprite, and a kitkat. Rang em up, lady looked at me and shook her head and just spun the computer. It said total 6.66$ I looked at her for about 3 seconds awkwardly lol and she said "wanna grab something else"?? I flew over to the candy shelf and grabbed another candy bar. We both just laughed.
  • Like 2

A Catholic school in San Francisco used to have a phone number ending with 666. I asked a friend of mine, who was a priest who worked there, about it and he said something like, "We are not afraid." I suppose it is the "The gates of hell shall not prevail against thee" thing.

Edited by Garyrc

You might want to check out making the frame out of extruded aluminum... I just priced out the aluminum for a 180" screen and it was around $250 if using 1x2"... The advantage is you can use t-nuts for attaching with grommets. You can make it up yourself.... No having to drill a bunch of holes in the frame. If you go with the slot attachment method... You might want to check, because you might be able to use the "T" slot for attaching the screen material to the screen. The "T" slot also looks like it might be asy to attach a velvet covered wood frame to the front too. I think this is the way I am going to go. :)

You might want to check out making the frame out of extruded aluminum... I just priced out the aluminum for a 180" screen and it was around $250 if using 1x2"... The advantage is you can use t-nuts for attaching with grommets. You can make it up yourself.... No having to drill a bunch of holes in the frame. If you go with the slot attachment method... You might want to check, because you might be able to use the "T" slot for attaching the screen material to the screen. The "T" slot also looks like it might be asy to attach a velvet covered wood frame to the front too. I think this is the way I am going to go. :)

A metal frame has been considered, but not at that price. It will likely bee a wood frame using screen tight. Metal will be used for stiffing where needed.
  • Like 1

A metal frame has been considered, but not at that price. It will likely bee a wood frame using screen tight. Metal will be used for stiffing where needed.

Is that too high for you? I am looking at 1x3, but you would be able to go with 1x1 if you use some "L" brackets to attach it to the wood wall.

Is that too high for you? I am looking at 1x3, but you would be able to go with 1x1 if you use some "L" brackets to attach it to the wood wall.

It just doesn't make sence to use aluminum for $250 when I can weld a solid steel one for $100.

Regardless of how cheap Youth is. Unessesary expense that provides no real benefit.

• Like 1