Belle Klipsch Mid Range Upgrade

I think that depends. If you sit 8 to 10 feet back (you'd be surprised at how many listen like this) and you're not trying to bring the ceiling down (yes, they're out there), you can get by with the stock set up just fine. The big stuff only exerts its superiority in larger rooms and/or at obscene SPL levels.

• Like 1

When I changed horns, I noticed a difference, but it wasn't jaw dropping night and day until I leaned on the volume. I still say network changes are more readily audible at normal listening levels.

You ready to go to $3 capacitors, I'm told they sound the same. You can eBay that high dollar crap you've been using.

Where is that review you wrote, I need to get that thing on my website - with permission of course.

I think that depends. If you sit 8 to 10 feet back (you'd be surprised at how many listen like this) and you're not trying to bring the ceiling down (yes, they're out there), you can get by with the stock set up just fine. The big stuff only exerts its superiority in larger rooms and/or at obscene SPL levels.

Listening 8-10 feet back puts one in near-field with heritage Klipsch...more than likely a smaller room. In my experiences with stock Cornwalls in this application, you get up around 95 decibels and the speakers start sounding unglued with a spitty midhorn, and a tizzy tweeter. One either turns it down, or leaves the room.

80-85 decibels seems plenty loud enough in my situation, if that... I suppose if someone likes to jam at 95dB+, maybe heritage Klipsch isn't the way to go.

i listen to my cornwalls in a 16x16 room everyday and sometimes at 95 plus and they never sounded unglued. did you get your cornwalls from 2 guys in a white van in home depot's parking lot

don't tell me NOW that heritage isn't the way to go :wub: after 25 yrs

Edited by Budman

Here's my crossover review if that is what you meant, Dean. You can reference/use on your site if you like. I hope it is helpful.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/146678-crossover-network-comparison/

There is little doubt that finding the right network for your system and listening habits is important on the journey towards aural bliss.

I'm pretty happy with the Super AA... never know when I might get restless again but I can't quite imagine what I'd do next.

I've got my room about 90% fixed but I've put that on hold for some audio PC play. I've already found a new level of "wow" that I will be sharing soon!

Pardon me, can you repeat that...my ears are ringing...

answer em

Okay, apologies if I offended...I may have formatted that post in error. I love heritage Klipsch, and ain't getting rid of my Cornwalls any time soon. But these are my experiences in a room that's only 12"X14". So room loading is more than likely a factor I guess...

Your sig mentions '79 Ramblin Rose Cornwalls, (Nice speakers, BTW) with Dean ALK networks. I'm assuming these are higher order networks which in turn, can be cranked up louder without distortion compared to stock Cornwall B2 networks.

I picked up my '83 Kornwalls from a member Jazman's white van in the Home Depot parking lot close to ten years ago...over the years things change and they now have Crites woofers, Crites CT-125 tweeters, and the stock K51V midhorn drivers.

I always had the crossover networks stock B2, but changed capacitors over the years using metalized polyprops, and then swap back to stock, or use a polyprop on a tweeter, with a oil on a mid, or a polyprop on the mid with a oil on a tweeter. In the end I had a Sonicap 3uF cap on the input cap of the B2 network which I wasn't really fond of.

Dean brought up using a coil in series with the midhorn after the autoformer to help tame the midrange when used in a near-field application. I have tried it, and it works for me. I can turn up the volume a bit more with less distortion from the midrange. It's a cheap mod if one listens to Cornwalls in a small room.

I also agreed to be a beta tester for the "charge-coupled" B2 networks. Dean sent the parts, I figured out a schematic with a correction from Dean, and built them.

So they are charge-coupled B2 networks with the coil in series on the midhorn. I can crank them up a bit more, they sound more refined, with a blacker background with less noise. They sound great with the SS power amplifier I have, and really nice with the Scott LK-48B.

I listen to lots of Jazz and blues, but rock and metal mostly. And at 95dB+ it's rather loud in a small room...to my ears.

Mike

Listening 8-10 feet back puts one in near-field with heritage Klipsch...more than likely a smaller room. In my experiences with stock Cornwalls in this application, you get up around 95 decibels and the speakers start sounding unglued with a spitty midhorn, and a tizzy tweeter. One either turns it down, or leaves the room.

80-85 decibels seems plenty loud enough in my situation, if that... I suppose if someone likes to jam at 95dB+, maybe heritage Klipsch isn't the way to go.

I'm right there with you on the decibel scale 80-85 is perfect. AND I have all big stuff. Micro Details Transienst and dynamics are the key, not DBs!

Don't forget that "hertiage" driver are 5/8" throat vs. 2", which is a HUGE difference in surface area, so for a given level, I'll bet the distortion is about 16-20 db less with 2" drivers when used properly.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

• 3 months later...

Hi, I picked up some Belles a few months ago, and as the crossovers caps were leaking, I've ordered some ALK Universals.

However, a K77 just went open, so I'm upgrading the mid and high (through ALK and Fastlane Audio). To pull the grill out, does this involve just the four horizontal screws?

Geoff

Hi, I picked up some Belles a few months ago, and as the crossovers caps were leaking, I've ordered some ALK Universals.

However, a K77 just went open, so I'm upgrading the mid and high (through ALK and Fastlane Audio). To pull the grill out, does this involve just the four horizontal screws?

Geoff

From Al's site

http://www.alkeng.com/

Klipsch>Horns,Drivers,Tweeters

post-51278-0-99600000-1410748058_thumb.j

Edited by Tasdom

Geoff

From Al's site

http://www.alkeng.com/

Klipsch>Horns,Drivers,Tweeters

Thanks, I should have realised it was there!

Geoff

Edited by geoffcb