ClaudeJ1

Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

8 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

@ClaudeJ1

Claude, you should have seen the look of amazement on Jerry's face when I switched in the Super Heresy's at my place a few weeks ago.  Granted, they were playing from an HK730, which certainly doesn't hurt.....

Always good to read this kind of stuff. I have owned many pairs of Heresy's over the years. Now trying to see if adding twin 5" ports on KP-250's will extend the bass a tad more, but I still think the best mod I ever did, YOU OWN.

@jimjimbo

@ClaudeJ1

After the "shock and awe"  my ears experienced listening to Khorns and La Scalas, who would have imagined such sound from the small Heresy package.

I am still amazed!

Just now, TFR1 said:

@jimjimbo

@ClaudeJ1

After the "shock and awe"  my ears experienced listening to Khorns and La Scalas, who would have imagined such sound from the small Heresy package.

I am still amazed!

Are you building some also?? Or have you done it already?

Two days ago I acquired a pair of Heresy I for conversion.

Just beginning to collect parts.

• Like 1

Those are in great shape. Nice. BTW, the Pre-1980 Heresys, Cornwalls, etc. used the same Poplar Core Veneers as the Khorn fronts. FYI, and NOT crappy, cheap MDF. Also, my first pair of Khorns, as a "kid" were KCBR's 1977 which were made of Baltic Birch inside and out and weighed 20 more pounds than the older fir plywood Khorns. I sold them to a friend with the option of buying them back someday. I put some Formby's Tung Oil on those things AFTER I had polished the raw wood with #0000 Steel wool, the most beautiful birch finish you ever saw.

But these Walnut Heresys really are super nice. Pun intended.

• Thanks 1

Nice.    I will be finishing mine up in a couple weeks.   Just have to make a trip to my fathers and pull the networks from my CW's and install in the Heresy's.

Another good driver is: eminence beta 12. It has a similar response to the Delta Pro, with a few dB less. The cost is lower. I enclose a simulation with the ventilated box of Claude J1

2018-01-12.png

4 hours ago, Tiziano said:

Another good driver is: eminence beta 12. It has a similar response to the Delta Pro, with a few dB less. The cost is lower. I enclose a simulation with the ventilated box of Claude J1

2018-01-12.png

While I do appreciate the effort here, again, different is NOT the same.

When I plug that woofer into my modeling software, I can see the effect of the smaller magnet, which is a lower BL product, even though the cone mass is similar. What this means is you won't get the same FAST MIDRANGE response/handoff to the mid horn and driver, which is a BIG part of the magic for the Super Heresy Mod and also the reason why I did it to begin with originally. The ported bass response turned out to be a big, pleasant surprise but not the original intent.

So the emphasis, on this lower BL will be more towards the bass and less towards the midrange "tilt" in the response. It's also a few DB less efficient, so it will throw off the Xover balance also.

Again, there's a good reason why Klipsch chose to use the K-42 as their "Pro Woofer" for the Pro Heresy variants in the past. Whether the K-42 was made by EV or Eminence, it had the same specifications from Klipsch. This is why I recommend the Eminence Delta pro, which is, essentially, a K-42 without the Klipsch name.

So if you are after the exact same performance as Jim Jimbo's now famous Super Heresys (I sold my other 3 to another friend), then going to a different woofer than my original recommendation has it's compromises, which are UNTESTED by me. I don't intend to build any of those myself and if you do, you are on your own............especially if the results are not as big of an improvement as you expect. You have been warned.

• Like 1