Ideas for old beater LaScala

I saw this photo on a south american horn site. this guy is in Rome and in a small space where horns have the advantage due to their directivity. Just thought I would post so others could see something different and perhaps get some inspiration. Take a very close look at those LaScala bins can you see what has been done to them ? They ought to have two or three sets of braces between the doghouse and the walls while extending right out to the mouth. Best regards Moray James.

PS: here is the horn site link lots to look at http://www.hifichile.cl/index.php?/topic/921-horns/page__st__2400

post-44375-0-75260000-1401988191_thumb.j

post-44375-0-15040000-1402301509_thumb.j

Edited by moray james
  • Like 3

Here is a clean and simple execution of a Khorn which is so elegant in its timeless look. Even woodworkers with basic tools and skills can achieve this look. Again color can be made to work as well. Here is a link top the builder for info on the non stock mid and hi horns. Best regards Moray James.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/614272918584739/

post-44375-0-32460000-1401992456_thumb.j

Edited by moray james
  • Like 2

double height Lascala might be fine for pro or outdoor but in your home you want the centre of the horn (mid) to be in line with your seated ear level for the best stage and image. A LaScala bass bin turned sideways with a reflex base riser mod and you can make the bass bin the same width as the K402 and the height is correct, one of our forum members has already done that. Best regards Moray James.

post-44375-0-25220000-1401998868_thumb.j

Edited by moray james

• Moderators

To me that first pic is just strange, not just the LaScala things, it is just for looks I guess? Ok I am not a turntable person any more and certainly not high end but some are crazy, what is that it looks like a tub for a platter, a little out of control to me, for a record and a needle I can barely see. :D Not even counting you have to watch you don't kick and break a tube trying to get to play a record because it's in the rear behind the amps, but it looks cool.

I bet it sounds good and it's his choice but it looks really impractical, except for a picture. Not giving you a hard time Moray, the room just struck me as almost impossible to use.

Another good choice for beater LaScalas is to turn them into industrial LaScalas (somewhat), handles and all, with a frame for them to sit on with wheels to roll them around.

They sound great outdoors and can be used in almost any size room of hall. Have it all portable and easy to bring music anywhere you want without worrying about a little bump or scratch here and there.

To me that first pic is just strange, not just the LaScala things, it is just for looks I guess? Ok I am not a turntable person any more and certainly not high end but some are crazy, what is that it looks like a tub for a platter, a little out of control to me, for a record and a needle I can barely see. :D Not even counting you have to watch you don't kick and break a tube trying to get to play a record because it's in the rear behind the amps, but it looks cool.

I bet it sounds good and it's his choice but it looks really impractical, except for a picture. Not giving you a hard time Moray, the room just struck me as almost impossible to use.

Another good choice for beater LaScalas is to turn them into industrial LaScalas (somewhat), handles and all, with a frame for them to sit on with wheels to roll them around.

They sound great outdoors and can be used in almost any size room of hall. Have it all portable and easy to bring music anywhere you want without worrying about a little bump or scratch here and there.

Everybody has their own taste and sensibilities. I was only showing the pictures to provoke some out of the box thinking especially regarding a paint job. Paint can be a very simple yet effective way to bring new life to old beaters. I also like your idea of turning a set of LaScala into a set of splits. Past that I have no particular preference myself but those sideways Jubescala sure would be nice. Best regards Moray James.

• Moderators

I agree, I know you were just showing the pictures it's why I said I am not giving you hard time it was not meant like that at all the pic just looked staged that's all.

To tell you the truth I would normally not like white painted speakers but those in that room were Ok being white for some reason, because of the color of the horns and the rest of the room, I don't know ?

I have heard the Jubescala and they do sound good, I actually thought that was my picture for a minuet. If you look at it straight on from the front the 402 horn looks even bigger on a LaScala.

But to be fair I have to say I have liked everything I have heard with the 402 horn, especially the mwm, my first choice, kind of that LaScala sound but much more of it.

Edited by dtel

At some point Im going to try and "un-industrialize" my LS's and get back to a wood finish. If things things turn south, I may have to resort to a painted finish, but it won't be black again thats for sure.

Here is another oddball LS on steroids.

harmsls7.jpg

harmsls2.jpg

Edited by Max2
  • Like 2

here is a nice reverse bass bin set of LaScala in Rosewood, underneath those are stock Klipsch LaScala reworked by Volti Audio. Here too is an MDF LaScala with a single brace and with corner reflectors which are a very good idea if you are building. See the LaScala with the almost invisible reflec mod in the fake bottom? Thats clever Guys please if you see your handy work Please jump in I know these are built by guys in this forum. Then there is the EV two way LaScala by Nico Boom that's the way to do it mmmmm good. Then there is a set of LaScala with nice thick walls proportions look excellent solid too. Post your ideas sketches and pictures. Best regards Moray James.

post-44375-0-50780000-1402024497_thumb.j

post-44375-0-90860000-1402025007_thumb.j

post-44375-0-42580000-1402025338_thumb.j

post-44375-0-39420000-1402025816_thumb.j

post-44375-0-18940000-1402025983_thumb.j

There's no way those white Frankenscalas should have a Klipsch badge on them.

the bass bins did :D , doubled the outer walls using 3/4" oak plywood (sides, top, and backs) then took 1 X 3 solid oak and trimmed all the edges, added casters and braces, Painted the horn area flat black and stained them a gold oak, added handles to the sides (damn things weighed a ton)

should have kept them, never could get satisfied back then, I was on a constant hunt to improve

the bass bins did :D , doubled the outer walls using 3/4" oak plywood (sides, top, and backs) then took 1 X 3 solid oak and trimmed all the edges, added casters and braces, Painted the horn area flat black and stained them a gold oak, added handles to the sides (damn things weighed a ton)

should have kept them, never could get satisfied back then, I was on a constant hunt to improve

I said white, but meant green. Looks like my monitor at home needs the color adjusted.

I said white, but meant green. Looks like my monitor at home needs the color adjusted.

Sure blame the monitor.......................................... B)