Roll Call: Retirees

Boxx

Calling out those "forum" members that have retired.

Please share any info regarding your former profession, plans for the future, etc....

I survived 35 years in public education in Texas as a teacher, coach and administrator.

I retired back in June of 2013. At the end of this month, according to Texas law, I'm eligible to return to work (in education) and draw both a salary and retirement.

It looks good on paper, but hard on the soul....

• Like 1

Feb 25 2014 Done.

Last "Job" Trident II D5 Multi warhead delivery systems.

Calling out those "forum" members that have retired.

Please share any info regarding your former profession, plans for the future, etc....

I survived 35 years in public education in Texas as a teacher, coach and administrator.

I retired back in June of 2013. At the end of this month, according to Texas law, I'm eligible to return to work (in education) and draw both a salary and retirement.

It looks good on paper, but hard on the soul....

:emotion-21:

Rant warning: Here's something that perplexes me. People are living longer than they ever did. By the time I'm eligible for retirement, they will probably have bumped up the Social Security age to 70 or more. The original deal into this Federally mandated Savings/Insurance plan was to collect on your forced saving by 62, but they messed with it. Oh, BTW, people over 50 are not considered very employable. Age discrimination is also salary discrimination where 27 year old personnel people believe that everyone gets less productive after 40 and lose intelligence.

So not only do they reduce your monthly rate, the limit you to how much you can earn each year or they reduce it further or take it away. AND it's our money whether we only put in half (employee) or all of it (self-employed), we shouldn't have to have income LIMITS of any kind, since they tax us on everything anyhow. It defies logic. We are merely paying the price for their incompetence.

I'm sure many are wrestling with these kinds of decisions.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

I have been retired for 3 years now, after being a Law Enforcement Officer for over 20 years. Lately I have thought about getting a part time job, but then I start thinking about it a bit more, and I am not sure I could ever work for anyone again. Getting up when I want to, and not having to do what someone else tells me is a freedom I do not want to ever lose.

• Like 2

Down sized June1 2013 and decided to turn it into retirement. Our small company (consulting) went from a high of 25 employees down to 9. So....worked in human services (probation, parole, mental health) for twenty years and consulting in land use development and housing for the next twenty.

Except for lack of discretionary income I am enjoying retirement and setting my own schedule.

Volunteer at the library two mornings a week resurfacing CDs and DVDs.

Edited by Tarheel
  • Like 2

I have been retired for 3 years now, after being a Law Enforcement Officer for over 20 years. Lately I have thought about getting a part time job, but then I start thinking about it a bit more, and I am not sure I could ever work for anyone again. Getting up when I want to, and not having to do what someone else tells me is a freedom I do not want to ever lose.

Yep, my thinking exactly.

Still a Volunteer w/sheriff's'

Volunteer Metro Fire.

Volunteer Calfire, Pilot, Helidrops, second stick most of the time.

Edited by minermark
  • Like 1

20 years in Coast Guard ... retired 2003.

Finishing up 10th year with County government ... eligible for a small pension from them this coming October. I may take it, and then travel the country crashing on forum members couches, eating good bbq and listening to their awesome sound systems.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 5

As the name suggests, I retired for Uncle Sam's Navy in '96 and immediately went back to work. Initially got a job programming and machining CNC mills since I wanted to learn the trade but then got an offer to go back into the aircraft maintenance field. At 60 I have a 10 year old and a 12 year old so I will work until I croak. As a side note, I got my first job at 13 and have not had one day of unemployment since; 47 straight I need a break.

• Like 1

I may take it, and then travel the county crashing on forum members couches, eating good bbq and listening to their awesome sound systems.
Just let me know when you are coming to Texas.....
  • Like 2

I may take it, and then travel the county crashing on forum members couches, eating good bbq and listening to their awesome sound systems.

it's a deal..I've only driven through Texas. Remember driving past the place where those cadillacs are partially buried.

• Like 2

it's a deal..I've only driven through Texas. Remember driving past the place where those cadillacs are partially buried.

That's way up in the panhandle of Texas. Sort of an unusual sight those caddies.....