Something New In Vinyl? The Ultra LP

thebes

Jack White, a musician whom I'm not familiar with has released a new album and is issuing it on what he calls the Ultra LP.

Although many of the features have been, and are routinely included in regular vinyl pressing, its still nice to see someone trying something a bit different to spruce up this format even if it is a bit gimmicky.

Here's the details:

- 180 gram vinyl
- 2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
- 1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM, one plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record
- Side A plays from the inside out
- Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for “Just One Drink” depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.
- Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record
- Both sides end with locked grooves
- Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
- Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
- Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
- Different running order from the CD/digital version
- LP utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD and digital version

And here's a link to a video where he and the record company exec talk about it. Please note the tubes and what looks like McIntosh in the background.

http://thirdmanstore.com/jack-white-lazaretto-12-vinyl

Edited by thebes

Jack White, aka...The White Stripes, aka.....The Raconteurs................

Very Eccentric Fella, with his own views..........Thats for sure

A lot of his oddities become quite collectible to his followers.............I have a lot of his music, Want to try something fun look up Icky Thump

Jack White, aka...The White Stripes, aka.....The Raconteurs................

aka.. The Dead Weather..

Check out the rockumentary "It Might Get Loud" if you want some insight into his musical history and thought patterns. "Under the Great White Northern Lights" catalogues their Canadian tour, but also has good concentrated White Stripes sound bites.

• Like 1

I guess its not....I have to buy this just to mess with people..... Here how the story will go ME: Look at this POS recording the idiots recorded it backwards. Person I'm displaying my system too: Wow how did that every get past QC... ME: you think that's bad: They also screwed up and some tracks are in 33, 45 and 78 which my damn table won't even play! Person I'm displaying my system too: Who's the idiot? You didn't send it back?

Edited by NOSValves
  • Like 1

Its a fun album - good music but not quite up to 'Blunderbuss'... yet. His music is varied and eclectic so I always have to give Jack's albums some time to sink in but if you like his approach to music, you'll enjoy 'Lazaretto'. The many gimmicks may get in the way but then, I think Jack was just trying to add to the vinyl experience. All the pressing devices have been used in the past - even the floating angels but maybe not combined on 1 record before now.

It takes a few tries to get the hang of playing the record and even then, you may find it all a bit too much work just to listen to the music - of course, the CD/download plays straight through. I find it interesting (disturbing?) that the record comes with no instructions. If you came to it blindly, you'd have no way of knowing how to play it and in a fit of frustration, probably throw it out as junk. Of course, that may be Jack's sense of humor coming through. Another thing to note is that the 78 and 45rpm tracks under the label are not needle-friendly and I do not recommend tracking through them with an expensive cart - besides, there's not much there to enjoy. Also, the records were pressed at United in Nashville and that's rarely a good thing as their quality control is spotty so expect a few pops and ticks and other pressing problems (off-center, warped, etc). Even if you get a clean copy, expect a 'bump' on the dual groove track (starts out acoustic or electric depending on where you drop the needle, then both come together) as the grooves merge.

More info here... http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/06/jack-whites-lazaretto-ultra-lp/#continued

Aside form that, the record is loads of FUN! Buy it as a conversation piece to impress your friends.. and the music's great too. BTW, Jack White is touring this summer and puts on a great show - gotta catch him live.

--BTW, Marty he's playing Merriweather in September - tix went on sale this morning (Fri June 13th)--

Its a fun album - good music but not quite up to 'Blunderbuss'... yet. His music is varied and eclectic so I always have to give Jack's albums some time to sink in but if you like his approach to music, you'll enjoy 'Lazaretto'. The many gimmicks may get in the way but then, I think Jack was just trying to add to the vinyl experience. All the pressing devices have been used in the past - even the floating angels but maybe not combined on 1 record before now.

It takes a few tries to get the hang of playing the record and even then, you may find it all a bit too much work just to listen to the music - of course, the CD/download plays straight through. I find it interesting (disturbing?) that the record comes with no instructions. If you came to it blindly, you'd have no way of knowing how to play it and in a fit of frustration, probably throw it out as junk. Of course, that may be Jack's sense of humor coming through. Another thing to note is that the 78 and 45rpm tracks under the label are not needle-friendly and I do not recommend tracking through them with an expensive cart - besides, there's not much there to enjoy. Also, the records were pressed at United in Nashville and that's rarely a good thing as their quality control is spotty so expect a few pops and ticks and other pressing problems (off-center, warped, etc). Even if you get a clean copy, expect a 'bump' on the dual groove track (starts out acoustic or electric depending on where you drop the needle, then both come together) as the grooves merge.

More info here... http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/06/jack-whites-lazaretto-ultra-lp/#continued

Aside form that, the record is loads of FUN! Buy it as a conversation piece to impress your friends.. and the music's great too. BTW, Jack White is touring this summer and puts on a great show - gotta catch him live.

--BTW, Marty he's playing Merriweather in September - tix went on sale this morning (Fri June 13th)--

Excellent post and the bolded is very true! I'm gonna try to catch the Boston gig this fall even though Fenway is garbage for sound.