Bookshelves?

jtubbs6117

Let’s talk about bookshelves. I am working on a project for our master bedroom that after pondering many options I am sure a pair of bookshelves will be the best option and a sub later. What do you have now? What was your favorite ? I am going to use my MC 252 to run the pair so under power should not be an issue. But I have used RB5’s in the past a liked them but after some reading I see that there are more options than I thought. I am a SVS user so I have looked at the ultra series BS and it’s tempting but kinda pricey a thousand dollars is the top on what I would like to spend.

Also there is another one a very neat design the golden ear AON 3 has passive radiators on the sides really cool but know nothing about them.

Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65

I like this one also it is a multi driver design and the specs show 30Hz for the freq response kind of nice. But just wanted to hear about what you guys like and if you would have changed something or learned from any mistakes. As always thank you.

Edited by jtubbs6117

Gentleman thank you for your feedback I hope this offers other members the opportunity to share their experiences with smaller speakers. I have a deep respect for the RB 5 and that still might be the go to. when I am ready. Thanks again

• Moderators

If you get a chance listen to some Jamo speakers, I don't remember the model I listened to but they were really impressive for a speaker about a foot tall or less. Very detailed and really impressive bass for a tiny speaker, Klipsch owns Jamo.

We have some RB-75's, it would have to be a big bookshelf for those.

Sorry I wish I knew the model but it was about 5-6 years ago.

Edited by dtel

They aren't Klipsch, but I use some JBL Control 25 speakers in the office at home. They are paired with a small Onkyo receiver and sound really good. The have a 5 1/4 woofer and a titanium dome tweeter on a horn. They sound really good when you turn them up. :D

I use a pair of RB61's in our bedroom and even though they don't get turned up a lot (i.e. - "she's" not home) they do put out a respectable amount of bass considering their side. I have them on 24" stands and buried as close as possible into a corner. After running the MCACC on a Pioneer Elite receiver with no sub-woofer, they sound very cohesive.

Test music: Spyro Gyra - "What Exit"

I suppose BOSE bookshelf speakers would be out of the question? :unsure:
Do they make something that big?

If that's what someone likes, then by all means, let them use them. I think there are plenty of better alternatives, but still, they have to be happy.

Bruce

I suppose BOSE bookshelf speakers would be out of the question? :unsure:
Do they make something that big?

If that's what someone likes, then by all means, let them use them. I think there are plenty of better alternatives, but still, they have to be happy.

Bruce

they are called 901's :D

I really like the Mission 700's (early 80's vintage with the 8" woofers). They are very accurate sounding.. If you could find a pair of those go for it. They were only 400 new so should be cheap now. The woofers may need new foam surrounds but that is easy and inexpensive to do. If I could do it pretty much anyone can.

Ok guys I have a set of RB75 coming. Can we talk about stands. What do you use? I would like to go with steele due to the wieght of these, something like 33 pounds.

I really like these but do you think the RB75s are to heavy?

http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/speaker-stands/sf34/

34inches would be about right that would place the horn well of the foot piece of the bed.

Gentleman thank you for your feedback I hope this offers other members the opportunity to share their experiences with smaller speakers. I have a deep respect for the RB 5 and that still might be the go to. when I am ready. Thanks again

Congrats on the RB75's, they are very nice!

FWIW, here's a comparison pic of the RB5 vs. RB75's

post-51278-0-46560000-1403135154_thumb.j

• Like 1

Who needs to waste $$$ buying new stands when you can go to HD and have four 6" x 20" poplar boards cut?

Last two photos are with new 20" poplar boards installed.

First two photos are with original 12" oak boards.

Now all I need to do is sand and stain them.

Bill

post-24680-0-11600000-1403197046_thumb.j

post-24680-0-83400000-1403197075_thumb.j

post-24680-0-21800000-1403197112_thumb.j

post-24680-0-49000000-1403197128_thumb.j

Edited by willland
  • Like 1