My first brand new car in 27 years

sunburnwilly

• Moderators
Wow, the post just started a day ago and I feel late to the party, lol,

Don't feel bad I posted In the what I got today thread and didn't even see this one.

Congratulations Sunburn cool car.

Always did like the WRX, loved to watch them in the off road races, there amazing tough little cars. Watching off road races it looks like the WRX is in the air as much as on the ground, even in mud and water up to the bumpers with slop flying from all four wheels. I think my favorite parts were on dry dirt courses where they would drift through long turns sideways at high speeds with the dust flying, looks like great fun.

Just keep it on the road and the shiny side up, any SCCA events in your area ?

• Like 1

Very nice! Subaru sure has come a log way.
It sure has! I thought they'd never get rid of the "silly grin" styling cue they used for the bottom of their grills, rear window, etc.

I wonder sometimes why it seems to take so much and so long for a car manufacturer to break out of a limiting thought box.

The wrx has been a go to alternative for Alfa enthusiasts wanting a modern car after Alfa left the US market in the mid 90's. It takes a lot to satisfy an Alfa driver. Some of Subarus market will go back to Alfa now that they are back in the US. All in all, that is good company to be in.

• Like 1

They used to do some autocross events in the parking lot where the graffiti wall is on James Island SC . Haven't seen them out there in years . I know there's a road course in Savannah GA so that's a possibility that I need to look into .

They used to do some autocross events in the parking lot where the graffiti wall is on James Island SC . Haven't seen them out there in years . I know there's a road course in Savannah GA so that's a possibility that I need to look into .

That reminds me of watching auto-cross on the parking lot of the closed Ford Tractor plant in Troy, MIchigan, near my home. Fiat bought the closed plant from Ford New Holland. They tested Iveco Diesel engines in the middle of the night. Listening to that on a summer evening when the windows were open was a rare treat.

Occasionally, one could hear the sounds of screeching tires and revving engines. Upon investigation, the giant weed choked parking lot was covered with orange cones and everything from Miatas to Ferraris. It was great fun watching guys and gals flog their Mustangs, Firebirds, Corvettes and the like. The small and nimble cars, such as Caterhams and Subarus, easily beat the times of the more powerful larger cars.

Turns out, Fiat allowed the local Alfa club to stage the events. Alfas usually did well; often better than their cousins, Ferraris. On the whole, smaller European or Asian cars, especially rear wheel drives, were much quicker through the course than American iron. One exception was a last generation Corvair with a roll-cage, Weber triple-choke carbs, headers and fat slicks on Panasports. Where was Ralph Nader?

Alas, the days of auto-cross at the old Ford tractor plant are gone. Fiat sold everything to a "developer." The closed plant was demolished to be replaced by condos and a shopping center. Now the only sounds are of those of Escalades and Land Rovers headed to Target, Panera, Petco, Kroger, Home Depot, et al.

I miss the empty parking lot and the impromptu auto-crossing.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

How about Thunder and Lightning at Summerville Speedway :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Moderators

Occasionally, one could hear the sounds of screeching tires and revving engines. Upon investigation, the giant weed choked parking lot was covered with orange cones and everything from Miatas to Ferraris. It was great fun watching guys and gals flog their Mustangs, Firebirds, Corvettes and the like. The small and nimble cars, such as Caterhams and Subarus, easily beat the times of the more powerful larger cars.

That's exactly what I remember, my girlfriends dad was in SCCA for a little while, he ran a 1969 Datsun 2000, I bought it from him a couple years later.

He did very well with that car, he stopped doing SCCA and the car sat in the garage until I bought it, it was a really fun car to drive especially for someone still in high school. Light with great handling, 120Ci with 135 hp and a quick 5 speed transmission, don't sound like much but it was fast, the only car I wish I could have back.

look like this, never had the hardtop just the convertible, would love to see what it would do against a WRX ?

post-9700-0-55080000-1403358126_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

I have a 2007 Forester, and absolutely love it! Not very quiet on the road, but the performance and handling are superb. It's hard to believe the acceleration and handling they get with a 2.5 liter engine.

I really like the BRZ, but there wouldn't be any room to haul stuff around. Like... my LaScalas fit in the back of the Forester. Considering how small the car really is, I was surprised.

Congrats on the WRX!

Bruce

• Like 1

How about Thunder and Lightning at Summerville Speedway :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

No AWD class so that's out . You're Camaro on the other hand :emotion-55:

• Like 1

I have a 2007 Forester, and absolutely love it! Not very quiet on the road, but the performance and handling are superb. It's hard to believe the acceleration and handling they get with a 2.5 liter engine.

I really like the BRZ, but there wouldn't be any room to haul stuff around. Like... my LaScalas fit in the back of the Forester. Considering how small the car really is, I was surprised.

Congrats on the WRX!

Bruce

Thanks Bruce , I dig the BRZ as well . They remind me of my old 1982 RX7 . Just not practical as a primary car . I considered the Forester but I decided on something with a bit more attitude .

No AWD class so that's out . You're Camaro on the other hand :emotion-55:

whew, they don't run up there anymore so I'm safe. I'll just have to stick to on-ramps and passing lanes...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looking wild,lol

How do you like the gearbox, if you would.?

Thanks

I would best describe the gearbox as busy . Short ratios and not friendly to my normal city commute ; first gear is like a short breath . Out in the open when you can play it's very good but a bit notchy .

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...