Khorn crossover opinions (pic)

Guest Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

As promised, here is a pic of the crossovers in the Khorns I just purchased. I have no clue about crossovers so I was wondering if those of you who do could provide an opinion as to what was done, why it was done, and whether I should keep them as they are, or maybe look at returning them to stock for now. Thanks!

Since I don't know what they are trying to achieve, I will tell you what I am hearing (compared to my Scalas): seems like the high end is cleaner and clearer and more articulate (the Scalas are 1982's still running original caps so that might be a contributor). The mids are very much in your face and I am toning them down using the EQ. I've got the 1, 2 and 4khz freqs. at -4, -3, and -2 db respectively. I will likely make more adjustments to these as time passes but for now, right out of the gate I had to drop them just to stay in the room. Bass is good as far as I can tell. Coming from the Scalas, since they don't have much it's hard to compare. I do like what the Khorns are doing down there though.

Steve

EDIT: yeah, I'm really, really liking what the Khorns are doing with the bass. I don't even need the subwoofer.

EDIT: more pics...

post-58311-0-10380000-1403372661_thumb.j

post-58311-0-06120000-1403385759_thumb.j

post-58311-0-12720000-1403385773_thumb.j

post-58311-0-53420000-1403385786_thumb.j

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 1

When I picked up my Khorns I ordered Bob Crites full board Crossover(s) for $378, and did a full rewire then gave them to the wife.

Is she happy ?

Now she will not let me near her system, iv created a Celtic Music Nut.

I figure I will need do nothing for at least the next ten years.

Anyway, that is what I did, and it was worked out exactly as planned.

Your ideas may differ, and that is the cool thing about the hobby, collect all the input from the forum, hash through it, and do your own thing.

Edited by minermark

your crossovers have had some obvious capacitors replaced, I cannot comment on the quality of the work or if it looks like a job well done................I would say if you are happy with the sound. Leave them alone and enjoy,

For quality pro grade comment I would send pics to Dean / Bob / and Al and get there impressions of the work done

Steve, those crossovers are ready for the junk yard. these AA's from Dean would be my first choice. I have 2 sets of Dean's ALK's @ $650 each. these are a bargin

Dean would probably take payments if you don't have all of it right now.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/150786-type-aa-crossovers/

this is what I had in my 69's and now

post-12513-0-52080000-1403382768_thumb.j

Edited by Budman

Guest Steven1963

your crossovers have had some obvious capacitors replaced, I cannot comment on the quality of the work or if it looks like a job well done................I would say if you are happy with the sound. Leave them alone and enjoy,

For quality pro grade comment I would send pics to Dean / Bob / and Al and get there impressions of the work done

I think there are things in the sound that are good. And I think there are things that are screaming angrily at me. I'm hoping Dean/Bob/Al will pop in after seeing the thread title and give it a look. I'm probably going to have to remove one and take better photos for them.

Steve

Guest Steven1963

"Steve, those crossovers are ready for the junk yard."

A possibility I am distinctly considering. But I'll have to deal with it for a while. The wife wasn't thrilled when I bought the speakers. :unsure:

Dont consider it... do it. The XO is where a good portion of the music can lie IF left unexposed.

One word of advice is, do not skimp on quality parts... do you want OEM replacements or do you want to hear angels trumpets and devil trombones?

YOU ARE INVITED!

Edited by Schu

As promised, here is a pic of the crossovers in the Khorns I just purchased. I have no clue about crossovers so I was wondering if those of you who do could provide an opinion as to what was done, why it was done, and whether I should keep them as they are, or maybe look at returning them to stock for now. Thanks!

Since I don't know what they are trying to achieve, I will tell you what I am hearing (compared to my Scalas): seems like the high end is cleaner and clearer and more articulate (the Scalas are 1982's still running original caps so that might be a contributor). The mids are very much in your face and I am toning them down using the EQ. I've got the 1, 2 and 4khz freqs. at -4, -3, and -2 db respectively. I will likely make more adjustments to these as time passes but for now, right out of the gate I had to drop them just to stay in the room. Bass is good as far as I can tell. Coming from the Scalas, since they don't have much it's hard to compare. I do like what the Khorns are doing down there though.

Steve

EDIT: yeah, I'm really, really liking what the Khorns are doing with the bass. I don't even need the subwoofer.

EDIT: more pics...

The high end may be clearer and more articulate because the tweeters may be at more nearly ear height when the listener is seated, unless you have low seats.

2K is a region where there is sometimes a harshness problem. Although the BBC decided to put a dip in the response @ 2k because their speakers crossed over there, many people have found that the "BBC" dip helps counteract harshness even where the speakers don't crossover anywhere near 2K (as in the case with Khorns). Audyssey Reference puts about a 3 dB dip there, and Chris, co-founder and CTO of Audyssey said he has never heard a speaker and room that hasn't been improved by that dip.

The Khorns should be a little less harsh than the La Scalas, in my experience, perhaps because of having more bass in the Khorns to balance the mids.

Khorn bass is very clean and clear and precise, more so than any subwoofer I've heard (horn subs -- which I haven't heard yet, may beat it). My sub, the RSW 15 both extends and slightly degrades (makes muddy) the bass, compared to my Khorns. So ... I cross over to the sub at 40 Hz for music, but use the recommended 80 Hz for movies.

Edited by Garyrc

Guest Steven1963
So ... I cross over to the sub at 40 Hz for music, but use the recommended 80 Hz for movies.

That's where I'm at also - and it seems to be working pretty well.

Steve

Here is a picture of an original Type AA crossover network for comparison. It is hard to follow the wiring of your re-capped units, but even if it is correct, you should consider "fixing" it. The ideal would be some new high end crossover networks as recommended in prior posts.

Your wife's opinion is very important, we want her to be happy that you have K-horns in your home, so you can also consider the re-cap kit option.

Really good looking walnut K-horns pictures on your other thread. Congratulations.

post-58241-0-85760000-1403455664_thumb.j

Here is a picture of an original Type AA crossover network for comparison. It is hard to follow the wiring of your re-capped units, but even if it is correct, you should consider "fixing" it. The ideal would be some new high end crossover networks as recommended in prior posts.

Your wife's opinion is very important, we want her to be happy that you have K-horns in your home, so you can also consider the re-cap kit option.

Really good looking walnut K-horns pictures on your other thread. Congratulations.

The caps were replaced. They may be good, I have never used them. Here is a thread on them:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-396993.html

Just because the re-cap is very sloppy doesn't mean that it wil not sound good. Laying out everything nicely on a board is for your eyes. Now the connections may be poor/corroded.

So ask me if I would have a pair of board like that or worse, if I would let my work look like that - never.

The film layers are delicate. Most don't heat sink the leads when soldering. You can also tell by the amount of solder on the joint what was used to do the soldering - in this case, probably a soldering gun.

A lack of attention to detail tells you a lot about the rest of the work.

Edited by DeanG