Has it sunk in yet? Life, a terminal condition.

JL Sargent

I've been told that i haven't aged … oh wait, that was that I haven't grown up. Who cares! I'm sure maturity is overrated. I still buy Silly Putty. I wore a tuxedo shirt to work (I didn't know it was a tuxedo shirt, it just had these folds of fabric in the front that looked cool… yes I'm a bachelor), I can't be serious more than twice a day and I generally save those times for the bathroom. About the aches and pains as our years increase … to quote from that epic movie Roadhouse "Pain don't hurt." I live with chronic pain … have for a great many years … four herniated disks (two in back, and two in neck). While you never forget about it … sometimes you stop thinking about it. Does that provide relief? I don't know because i'm not thinking about it. Heard on a television show once that "youth is wasted on the young."

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

You're dying from the moment you are born. C'est la vie.

C'est une façon très triste de voir la vie.

well that would depend on your view of death, wouldn't it? However, I would agree that we should live well and love others during this life (which is why I'm an Oakland Raider … me and the Autumn Wind).

Edited by BigStewMan

Ahhhh, the Raiders. Lived in San Francisco, then San Mateo from 1961-1966. How I loved to watch/listen (on the radio, if you can imagine). Art Powell (occasionally, the defending team would put up to 4 men on him), Tom Flores, and too many memorable players to recite here. Gus Otto actually lives here in the St. Louis area. And remember Otis Sistrunk (back in the day when the players would be introduced by running through the two-posted goal post, stop, and stand with his helmet under his left arm to be announced by name and university attended. Big Otis, shaved head before it became popular, scowl on his face. Especially after Alex Karras doing the intro on TV introduced him as "Otis Sistrunk, University of Mars").

Have we strayed from the topic a bit? I look forward to the upcoming posts that add to it in respectable ways . . . . My $0.02, anyway.

This Forum would not be as Fun for me if EVERYBODY stayed on topic. And who's definition of RESPECTABLE are we going to use? Your's, mine?

I think we all have different ideas as to what is Respectable, or at least tolerated and enjoyed by forum members.

Sometimes someone will stray from the fold, but that's what makes life interesting.

Ahhhh, the Raiders. Lived in San Francisco, then San Mateo from 1961-1966. How I loved to watch/listen (on the radio, if you can imagine). Art Powell (occasionally, the defending team would put up to 4 men on him), Tom Flores, and too many memorable players to recite here. Gus Otto actually lives here in the St. Louis area. And remember Otis Sistrunk (back in the day when the players would be introduced by running through the two-posted goal post, stop, and stand with his helmet under his left arm to be announced by name and university attended. Big Otis, shaved head before it became popular, scowl on his face. Especially after Alex Karras doing the intro on TV introduced him as "Otis Sistrunk, University of Mars").

I was born in the shadow of the colesium … member of Raider Nation by blood not choice. Yes, i remember Otis Sistrunk--I would love to watch the football we saw in the 70s again today. Favorite Raider … the late Jack Tatum. Spent a work week in your fair city of St. Louis once. Work sent me there, it was February so i only ventured out into the city twice…hung out in the hotel the other three days.

Oh, yes, I am sure that many worthwhile discussions might be had about the "greatest" or "most enjoyable" football teams, but the Raiders have to be among the few final contestants. They had innumerable winners on their teams over the years, they did it with style!

St. Louis really is a very livable city, with many great institutions and distinct ethnic/populations groups. And it is very affordable.

Edited by JiminSTL
  • Like 1

Oh, yes, I am sure that many worthwhile discussions might be had about the "greatest" or "most enjoyable" football teams, but the Raiders have to be among the few final contestants. They had innumerable winners on their teams over the years, they did it with style!

St. Louis really is a very livable city, with many great institutions and distinct ethnic/populations groups. And it is very affordable.

I like the way you think … have you considered running for Forum President? You have my vote.

• Like 1

Well, Big Stew, you obviously are a man of very refined taste, and marvelous human insight. However, I suspect that one or two others (and maybe more) are quite confident in their capabilities and worthiness . . . .

• Like 2

i have a new guy on my night shift at work and he is 70. i just found that out a couple nights ago. he looks about 45. and he moves like it too. he was telling me the other day (as we were jogging across the hanger together) that he started in aviation when he was 18 in 1964! i watch him jog up stairs just like me, crawl up and down ladders as fast as i do, and it gives me hope! its amazing to see people stay in such good shape when you can stay busy.

Yeah. One person on each side of my family lived until 103. I had them pegged as the ones that would live long, because they were both very assertive (but polite), and didn't have many bad habits (but both were slightly overweight). They were both "younger" at about 85 than the others in their generation in the family were at, say, 70.

It's always tough when the body doesn't stay as young as the mind. Heck, I still have a 12 year old's sense of humor, and my brain still thinks I can do what I did when I was 18. Obviously, the rest of me doesn't agree with the latter! Meanwhile, I regularly meet people in their 80s who, in spite of various physical disabilities, still work full time (because they enjoy it, not because they need to work) and have a far better outlook on life than many younger people.

Maynard

It's fun to quote myself! I found this quite amusing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0_tJjWHZOo

Now you guys know what I meant when I said that I have a 12 year old's sense of humor!!! The friend who sent it (69 years old) enjoys clearing out aisles at the local box stores by leaving similar emissions, after which he stands at the end of the aisle watching facial expressions. He does this without cracking up....

Maynard

Edited by tube fanatic

And who's definition of RESPECTABLE are we going to use? Your's, mine?
i'm okay if we use mine.

I don't think I'm digging his... maybe Taz should be Tazed?

:unsure:

OK, I've been wondering if I wrapped myself in tinfoil if it would defeat or at least reduce the effectiveness of a Taser.

And who's definition of RESPECTABLE are we going to use? Your's, mine?
i'm okay if we use mine.

I don't think I'm digging his... maybe Taz should be Tazed?

:unsure:

OK, I've been wondering if I wrapped myself in tinfoil if it would defeat or at least reduce the effectiveness of a Taser.

No; but, we could use you to calibrate the radar. (USNRET will get that one...it's an old mariner's practical joke).

• Moderators
I was born in the shadow of the colesium … member of Raider Nation by blood not choice.

Wow your dad was a Raider and you were born on the side of the building, that's dictation to the Raider Nation, there must have been plenty of pictures ?

:blink::P

\

I've been told that i haven't aged … oh wait, that was that I haven't grown up.

Just skip it, it's highly overrated.

I was born in the shadow of the colesium … member of Raider Nation by blood not choice.

Wow your dad was a Raider and you were born on the side of the building, that's dictation to the Raider Nation, there must have been plenty of pictures ?

:blink::P

\

I've been told that i haven't aged … oh wait, that was that I haven't grown up.

Just skip it, it's highly overrated.

Well it was a big shadow that day--it stretched a few miles down the road. My parents died when i was 8, so i don't know what football team my Dad liked ... i do recall that he was a huge San Francisco Giants fan (but how could you not be with Willie Mays in town?)