Bottlehead introduces a class D amplifier kit

Daddy Dee

Thought this was interesting. These folks take quality very seriously. Also Bottlehead has as part of their offerings some entry level kits designed to a price point. I'd take it as a compliment the to the TPA3122 chip turning out 4wpc. Looks like it would be a fun project.

http://bottlehead.com/product/quicksand-battery-powered-solid-state-amplifier/

post-9889-0-44960000-1406295552_thumb.jp

Edited by Daddy Dee

Carl,

yeh. i think it would sound pretty good, too.

I've got the pre-kit unbuilt, but keep pushing that little project out farther on the horizon. Bottlehead says the batteries on the pre will give about 200 hours of service. not bad, really.

Very cool, Dee! Please let us know what you think about that project when you get to it! Bottlehead, formerly Electronic Tonalities when I got their very first linestage tube preamp kit (the Foreplay) for under $100!, do take quality seriously. Been around for quite awhile, too. Doc B. actually put together the instruction manual for the Lowther America rear loaded horns I put together in the 90s. Good stuff, reasonably priced. He was also among the first to get the antique parallel-feed output stage in SET amps going again -- the next best thing to output transformers short of no transformer at all. The parafeed trannies make it clear size is NOT what always counts when it come to OPTs. Anyway, have fun with the kit!

Edited by erik2A3

• 1 month later...

Is the idea behind a battery powered component that you theoretically wouldn't be introducing any noise from the power grid?

I've wondered about this a time or two but never chased the reasoning down obviously.

Looks like a fun project and certainly is easy on the wallet.

First post, so hello all. B)

• Moderators

Welcome JB

Rick J B, on 28 Aug 2014 - 12:11 PM, said: Is the idea behind a battery powered component that you theoretically wouldn't be introducing any noise from the power grid?

Could be ? I used a T-amp once with a car battery for yard/shop speakers, worked great. I wonder how much noise do you really get from the power grid, I would think (depending on the area) not much ?  

Good luck DD, hope it sounds great, if you finish it. :o  :D  

Edited by dtel

Welcome JB

Is the idea behind a battery powered component that you theoretically wouldn't be introducing any noise from the power grid?

Could be ? I used a T-amp once with a car battery for yard/shop speakers, worked great. I wonder how much noise do you really get from the power grid, I would think (depending on the area) not much ?  

Good luck DD, how it sounds great, if you finish it. :o  :D  

Honestly I've never worried about it, but I do know there are big buck power conditioners made and sold out there, I'm sure you've seen them in the boutique magazines.

I dunno, my cobbled together system has several things to be worried about before I concern myself with the electricty coming out of the wall. :blink:

• Moderators
Honestly I've never worried about it

Neither have I, there are places I could improve on before worrying about the condition of the electricity. If I heard problems with some buzz or hum I may feel different, but no hum or buzz except self inflected, and that kind seems to improve the sound, and usually the volume level.  ;)

I concern myself with the electricty coming out of the wall. :blink:

electricity-leaking.png

Quotation-James-Thurber-life-mother-Meet

That must be what causes that pesky static electricity, it's all just laying around on the floor waiting ! :o

Yeah, but you can't hit 120dB and ruin your hearing, so what good is it?

There is still a healthy market with an emphasis on high quality sound based on simplicity. I'm a sucker for these low power battery powered amps, and it's great that they put some effort into dealing with some of the deficiencies. The preamp kit looks cool too.