Youthman's LaScala Trio Home Theater Build (Version 2.0) Begins!

Youthman

• Moderators
Wow! This has been such an epic build an a huge inspiration.

Thanks TWK.  We are all pretty excited to see it come together.  Shaun texted me yesterday to say "I'm DONE!"  There are a few things he can either do at his house or at mine and since he has a few days left, he will do whatever he can at his house to save some time on the build.

I am going to be literally waiting all week to see how this all comes together, mad props to Wake and Youth for putting this all together. :emotion-21:

I'm not a morning person but I got up early this morning to climb in the attic to run 12/2 romex from the garage to the theater room as we will be installing a dedicated circuit for the HT.  I got in the attic yesterday around 2pm and was up there for about 30 seconds.  Not in Florida.  LOL

No matter what a sub can do, the bass shaker are incredible adds too, I hope YM considers them, possibly a few buttkickers as an option for crazy action flicks (i.e. Jurassic World)

I considered them a long time ago and may look into it way down the road but this project as well as the recent purchase of my Phantom 4 Drone has consumed enough of my disposable income.  After we finish the HT, my wife has a list of things she wants to focus on (enclosing 1/2 of our lanai to make a bedroom for my daughter, swimming pool, jacuzzi etc.....and her list is getting longer and longer Haha)

• Like 3

Michael, we have been testing tactile response and TT's are nice.  As far as being gimicky, they are not if integrated properly.  The Crowson's are the most linear which will help with the gimicky thing.  Another alternative is some Infinity 1260's behind the seats.  They are small and $60.  Were finding out no matter what type of subs you have, nearfield sub will add a missing punch that you can't get from the farfield.

• Like 1

Youthman... While you have the space open...have you thought about treating the wall with 2" of Roxul? I was advised to do that and it sounded like it enhanced our soundstage, and clarity. My friend did his and made the same comments.

Painted the front wall flat black and moved the front row seats to my living room to give us room to work.

Meeting my Dad at 5am to begin our journey to Alabama!

custom-cabinet-195.jpg

There are nightclubs with less Audio equipment than this. :D  Good luck and fair roads on your travels!

• Moderators

The first part of our journey led us to Superdave's home. Shaun and his wife met us there. Dave is an incredible host. We arrived and Dave blessed us with some incredible hamburgers!

After lunch, he gave us a tour of his absolutely beautiful home. We then headed to the basement for several Dolby Atmos demo. Dave has nothing lacking. Meticulous cable management, beautiful comfy leather theater seats, plush carpet, powerful front sound stage and plenty of tactile bass (no need for bass shakers).

This was my first demo of Atmos and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It wasn't gimicky at all. It added a sense of realism during the rain sequence. I will definitely consider Atmos down the road after I get through a few projects.

I brought the Phantom 4 out to play for a bit before we had to leave. Lastly we met his wife and two children. Truly a lovely family and I'm grateful to have met another forum brother.

Dave, I'm looking forward to having your family over during the 4th of July weekend.

Now we are driving to the hotel. Tomorrow morning, we are headed to meet another forum member.

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 2

• Moderators

And for those that said his TV might be too small for his size room, it looked great. Would he benefit from a huge projection screen? Sure. Is his video lacking in any way? Absolutely not. Awesome job on your theater room Dave.

Very excited for you Michael! It's been a long time in the making. Can't wait for the pics and videos. I foresee some time lapse loading and unloading videos and a drone video of the police pulling up to your house the first time you fire up a movie in the new home theater. :D

What a great Father's day weekend!

• Moderators

We just finished visiting W.C. with Panacea Engineering. His showrooms are still under construction but in September, he will have Heritage and Cinema series speakers to demo. We had the privilege of demoing the Golden Jubilees. Wow, what a treat. With (4) 12's in a folded horn, they produced very clean, tight bass. I can't recall the brend or model horn that he used with it but it was wooden and looks awesome. I will post photos of some of his speakers when I can get back home.

• Like 1

• Moderators

We are driving back to Superdave's to pick up the vehicle we left behind. Then headed to Shaun's to load up the cabinet. We were going to load up tomorrow, relax and drive back on Tuesday but if we can leave tomorrow morning, it will give us an extra day to work.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Thanks man. This literally has been an AWESOME trip so far! I forgot to mention W.C. Took us out to the Triple Tree Aerodrome. http://www.tripletreeaerodrome.com What a treat that was! We saw some spectacular WWII trainer planes like the P51 Mustang. I'll share pics of it later as well.

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 1