Youthman's LaScala Trio Home Theater Build (Version 2.0) Begins!

Youthman

• Moderators

Thanks Bill. 

Shawn(Sean?)

It's actually Shaun.  :P Good try though. 

has improved some

I'm not sure he has actually improved any....he just has decided to move forward in faith that he will be able to complete it.  I'm totally confident in him, even with the strokes. 

the STM thing is a real bummer

What is STM?

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

I wish I could share some of the photos of the progress of the build.  So far it's looking amazing!  The goal is to have it completed by New Year's.  Not sure if "we" are on schedule for that or not but nonetheless...progress is being made! 

• Like 4

I wish I could share some of the photos of the progress of the build.  So far it's looking amazing!  The goal is to have it completed by New Year's.  Not sure if "we" are on schedule for that or not but nonetheless...progress is being made! 

I'd love to say it's about darn time but given Wake's situation I won't say it's about darn time. :)

Can't wait to see the final results with the usual YM picture gallery.  :emotion-22:

• Moderators

Unfortunately, Wake had a really bad day today. We thought he may have had another stroke but MRI did not reveal that. Blood pressure is high which is causing the dizziness, nausea and blurred vision. Doctors are uncertain what is going on. He's doing ok but was sent home from Vanderbuilt and will be seen by his neurologist.

Michael,

Sorry to hear about your good friend Shaun.

It has been a long time since I had seen this thread, so I had some catch up to do, and you were off the Forum before I got up to speed.

I am sure that you are praying for Shaun, but let him know the rest of us are pulling for him as well.

There is a very great opportunity to make great friends on this forum. I consider Kevin Harmon to be one of the best friends I have. I am also very fond of Christy and Elden and of course there are others as well :)

Michael, As long as Shaun is healthy enough, I hope the two of you will consider coming out to Hope, Arkansas in April, so that you both have the opportunity to meet many more of us, and so we can meet the both of you.

Praying for Shaun to get his B/P under control and start feeling better soon.

Rog

• Like 3

• Moderators
I am sure that you are praying for Shaun, but let him know the rest of us are pulling for him as well.

Absolutely am and I'll share with him your concern as well.

Michael, As long as Shaun is healthy enough, I hope the two of you will consider coming out to Hope, Arkansas in April, so that you both have the opportunity to meet many more of us, and so we can meet the both of you.

I would love to make it out to Hope one year.  Will have to see.

Praying for Shaun to get his B/P under control and start feeling better soon.

Two days ago I spoke to him on the phone...he was extremely tired and nauseous.  I texted him today....said he is getting better....the Dr believes the BP issue is a result of his medicine so they are trying to change it slowly. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

A lot of progress has been made on the new front wall.  I'm SUPER excited how it's turning out and really wish I could share photos with everyone.  We are hoping to be ready to install within a month so stay tuned! 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Overall he's doing well. He had a setback from his medicine (caused dizziness, nausea). Shaun's short term memory is still pretty much fried and it seems he is unable to convert short term memories into long term ones. As a result he had to resign from his job and is now on disability. This was extremely humbling for him as he's only 36 and has no desire to not work....it would just be extremely difficult to work in any job that requires you to remember things. A few months after the strokes, he tried to go back to work. A few "instances" he had.....he left work to grab a bit to eat and got to a point that he had no idea where he was or how to get back to work. Fortunately he knew he could use navigation on his phone to get back to work. Another time he called a customer to schedule a tech to come out to work on their network....only to call her back later that day and have the same conversation with her. During my visit to his home, I noticed he had 2 networks (one password protected and one open). It wasn't a big deal as he lives out in the country and he has nothing important on his network but if he would have done that when working on a military network, he would have been fired.

We talk on the phone a lot and just about every conversation we have, I mention something about my 3rd RSW-15 and every single time, he gets excited and says, "You have a 3rd sub!?". He literally cannot remember the 15 times we've talked about it before.

He is able to remember anything that happened pre-strokes but anything after the strokes he doesn't remember.

He told me earlier this week that the transmission went out on the Maxima. On Wednesday, he went out to the car to go to church and "discovered" the transmission had went out (although it had happened a day or two before that).

He has two friends and his dad that have been coming over often to help with the project. Things that were extremely simple have now become complex for him. His wife has to continually monitor the project to make sure that he doesn't order the same parts again. Anytime UPS or Fedex shows up, he pretty much is like, "I wonder what this is"....he has no recollection of ordering it.

Even as bad as that sounds...he still has his sense of humor, positive outlook on life and his faith. He knows he is blessed beyond measure ... he just now has challenges he didn't have before. On the bright side, although he isn't able to drive anywhere, he gets to spend all of his time with his wife and two daughters.

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 5

• Moderators

Shaun was unable to finish the project due to issues following the stroke so his Dad has taken over the project to finish it.  I will post some photos later that he sent me.

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 2

• Moderators
That is absolutely tragic.

Maybe not...we never know why certain things happen the way they do but Shaun, his family as well as I believe God can take bad things and bring good things from them.  Shaun is now able to spend precious time every day with his wife and two daughters.  Through this, he has had the opportunity to spend some very wonderful times with his Dad and friends as they have rallied by his side to complete this project.  He "should" have died....but he didn't.  ;)   1 in 10 people survive the type of stroke he had, yet he not only lived through 3 of them, he isn't a vegetable, he isn't paralyzed, and he can still bathe, feed, and for the most part, live a pretty normal life.  He does have some challenges.  His balance is sometimes off.  He isn't able to drive.  It's difficult for him to be in a crowd because it's difficult for him to focus on one conversation when a lot of other things are happening.  He can no longer participate in the "active" things that he loved to do (ie jump off a 60' cliff into 40' of water, wakeboarding, snowboarding etc).  He wasn't able to go skydiving with me on my 40th birthday.  But Shaun doesn't focus on what he can't do....he embraces and enjoys what he can do.  We talk very frankly about his condition and we both agree he can either get depressed and cry about it or laugh about it.  We choose to laugh about it (trust me there is a lot of humorous things that happen as a result of the strokes). 

He's truly an incredible friend and one of the most selfless persons I know.  We don't have to feel sorry for him, he's still living and breathing and enjoying the life he has been given.  There still is a plan and a purpose for his life...it just has some new challenges.  :D

• Like 7

• Moderators

Here is the bottom cabinet

custom-cabinet-1.jpg

The middle section is on commercial rails to where I can slide the cabinet forward to gain easy access behind the equipment.

custom-cabinet-2.jpg

custom-cabinet-3.jpg

Shaun's daughter is supervising her grandpa as he works on the project

custom-cabinet-4.jpg

custom-cabinet-5.jpg