Custom Installers and Klipsch

Kevinicus

Hello everyone. I am in the process of building a home theater, and I've been talking to a lot of the installers in the area. I have been recommended by some that Klipsch speakers would be a way to go (possibly the THX Ultra 2 line. Now, anytime I mention this to one of the installers, they immediately start saying that they don't sound that good and they have other speakers that are better. Now, I realize, that they want to nudge me towards lines that they sell, so that they can make more money, but is that all it is? They seem to do this with projectors and screens too (which I have already made my decision on). Does anyone have a positive experience with an installer?

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

Your instincts are correct. An installer will always push you in the direction of products they sell for a couple reasons. First and foremost they profit from brands they carry. If you buy them somewhere else, they miss out on that profit. They also like working with things they're familiar with. If there is a problem with a product they install but don't sell, prepare yourself for the finger pointing game. If it was my money though, they'd install what I want or I'd find someone else who would.

• Like 2

Haha, well I am installing much more than just the speakers, and none of them have indicated they wouldn't install what I wanted, but they are definitely resistant. Of course when it comes to screens/projectors they seem even worse and with some of them I get the feeling they don't know what they are talking about. It's like they don't understand that masking is to block out part of the screen with different aspect ratios and not something that blocks out the image to make it a certain shape.

I honestly don't have an opinion on Klipsch either, as the only thing I've heard was some reference ones at Best Buy. Those weren't even in the Magnolia area and were out in the main area where I couldn't hear them well at all. I'm going to someone's house this weekend to hear some Reference and Cinema's.

You are in for a treat this weekend. Be sure to let us know your thoughts after your demo.

I will. The THX's I was considering before were the 7800's (for LCR) and KS-525's (surrounds). If I am to consider the Cinemas, I have to look at building a baffle wall, and I am a little concerned about eating up space with that. I have some big decisions to make, and to baffle or not will have a major impact on the design of the entire room.

Klipsch are good enough for over 90% of US movie theaters, so they should be good enough for a great HT.

Is it really that high? Must not have many here in MN.

Rumor has it that there's a nice one in White Bear Lake.

You are in for a treat this weekend. Be sure to let us know your thoughts after your demo.

wonder who's house he can here reference and cinema stuff at? Too bad my theater is destroyed right now. Guess the cinema stuff wil get put in the living room lol.
  • Like 1