Which 2" compression driver?

absolve2525

I'm running the BMS on my Cornscalas at -10 on the ALK ES crossovers. IMO, there is quite a bit of bass, almost too much, but at -9 they run too hot. Its a real balancing act. However, the speakers sound awesome, and I would not want to change them out for anything.

• Like 1

Bob Crites recommends this one on K-402 horns:

http://www.usspeaker.com/Faital%20Pro%20HF200-1.htm

I've heard the dual-diaphragm BMS compression driver (as in using your midrange horn as a 2-way loudspeaker instead of 3-way that you have now) - and I wasn't impressed: YMMV. 

I do recommend EQing it properly if you use them:

Speaking in general, pro-drivers really aren't designed with the goal of reaching the highest level of fidelity -- it's not their highest priority. The BMS coaxial is a good example. There is an aftermarket passive section for the tweeter that was developed by one of DJK's friends. The 4591 and 4592-MID are both relatively flat where it matters -- but you have to go three way. These drivers are both similar in sonic signature to the K-55, except with much lower distortion numbers.

• 2 months later...

"as its true 2" driver."

Please explain this remark.

the B&C DE85TN has a huge 12dB peak in the high end.

If you go to their website it shows the high end slowly going down and then there is a spike before it goes down again... I think that is what he is talking about.

If this helps to illustrate the point, here is a DH1A with a true 2" exit, beside a Klipsch K-63-KN which has a true 1" exit.  The DH1A uses a four-bolt attachment, and the K-63 is a screw-on type.  There are also 2-bolt, and 3-bolt designs, used for the 1.4" and 1" throats.

post-58280-0-16940000-1418364420_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

"Works really well but is not a 2" driver... its a 1.4" with included adapter. "

By your thinking the EV DH1A is not a true 2" driver, nor is any JBL made after the alnico models.

Isn't the EVDH1a actually a 3" driver that is reduced to a 2"?

"Works really well but is not a 2" driver... its a 1.4" with included adapter. "

By your thinking the EV DH1A is not a true 2" driver, nor is any JBL made after the alnico models.

Isn't the EVDH1a actually a 3" driver that is reduced to a 2"?

You are correct, sir!  The spec sheet says 3.00 inch voice coil diameter, throat diameter 1.94 inch.

• Like 1

"Isn't the EVDH1a actually a 3" driver that is reduced to a 2"?"

Nobodey seems to get it.

The exit hole means little, it's the diaphragm area.

The bigger the diaphragm, the less pressure per square unit of throat area, the lower the distortion will be.

Almost all compression drivers have a compression ratio of about 10:1 (diaphragm area to area of the openings in the phase plug), the Community M200 being an exception (and why it sounds so good despite not measuring the best).

For midrange, the M200 (used in the Avantegarde Trio) sounds better than ........................(fill in the blank, including JBL, BMS, etc), but your tweeter will need to reach 4Khz.

• Like 1

My comment wa born of a few reasons... for me the most important being that I have greater access to horns with 2" openings than 1.4". The Faital with its elip horn will fit a cornwall bin... as will a B&C DE85 and a Eliptrac400. The HF200 and a eliptrac 400 will not fit.

The HF200 and the HF140 are the same driver if I recall minus the adaptor. 

• Like 1