New Epics - very excited!

gmjungbluth

Just had to share...

I acquired a pair of Epic CF-4 series 1 this weekend. They are kind of a replacement for my recently-department Khorns.

I've only played with them a little but my initial impressions are that they are very sensitive and dynamic (though not as sensitive as the corner horns), but that they have MUCH more bass and amazing imaging, even in my acoustically-challenged living room.

The finish is neglected so I'll be working on that this week, and then they'll be going into my main listening area in the basement.

I've been lurking for a while on the forum reading about all the CF-4 mods, and at some point I may attempt some (I've done my own crossover and cabinet mods before but nothing on this scale). For now I'm just going to enjoy.

BTW - any recommendations on what would be best to restore a faded cherry finish? I tried a little lemon oil which seemed to work well. I also have Howard's orange wax.

G

post-58509-0-16040000-1409666223_thumb.j

• Like 2

Welcome to the Forums, and welcome to the even less well known CF-4 owner's club!  We haven't really had a formal meeting yet, but I nominate Moray James for president!  B)

+++

Here are some helpful CF-4 links:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151115-epic-cf4-mods-amp-rack-build/

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/142693-epic-cf3-bracing-damping-project/
https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149241-epic-cf4-needs-overhaul/

I know you said you've been lurking, but this will put some of the more recent mods into one place.  I can't answer your question about restoring Cherry finish, but someone will likely know.

Edited by wvu80

Thank you! I'll take a look at those posts.

G

Welcome to the Forums, and welcome to the even less well known CF-4 owner's club!  We haven't really had a formal meeting yet, but I nominate Moray James for president!  B)

+++

Here are some helpful CF-4 links:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151115-epic-cf4-mods-amp-rack-build/

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/142693-epic-cf3-bracing-damping-project/
https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149241-epic-cf4-needs-overhaul/

I know you said you've been lurking, but this will put some of the more recent mods into one place.  I can't answer your question about restoring Cherry finish, but someone will likely know.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to bring the finish back? I've used fine steel wool and soap/water to wash walnut KLH veneers, followed by Howard's Restore a Finish and Howard's Feed and Wax. I don't think these warrant that and anyways the Cherry finish seems so fine - I wouldn't want to damage it.

Would the Howard's Feed and Wax be ok? Honestly the spot I tried with Old English looked pretty good but am wondering if there is something better I should be working with....
Thanks!

G

Nice indeed... Welcome to the "forum."

Come often, post often....

problem is they should have some type varnish / shellac / lacquer on them and most oils will shine them but will only lay on the surface and will eventually dry either needing another coat or letting them go again

to get to the wood veneer would require a lite sanding.  Then you could refinish to desire

If you have marks / scratches the old english oil is a good cover up, or you could try and stain match which is very hard on older cherry (it gets darker as it ages)...........if you are just looking to freshen up I would say Old English or the like,  Wax as you mention would likely bring out a shine as well with enough effort

Nice speakers and as stated  Welcome

Congrats on the new speakers, they look very nice indeed! I recently used some of that Howard's restore a finish on some pretty decent Walnut Chorus II's and it made them look like new again. Stuff is cheap and easy to apply, I just wiped it on with a rag, instructions say to use steel wool only if your cabinets are really bad. Any way, good luck and enjoy the CF-4's!!

congrats on the epics, they are a great speaker.   unless they have deep scratches or damage to the veneer, just use the lemon oil, or try boiled linseed oil.  both work great.   if these are an oiled finish they dont have a varnish & the oil will absorb into the wood, a few treatments will make them look nice again.  if they are not stock oil finish then there will be a varnish coating & oil treatments arent really designed for that.  other cleaners & polishes will make the varnish look better.  so depending on their condition & finish, you can apply oils or sand & re-do the varnish.  minwax satin polyurethane works great & matches closest to the stock sheen.

enjoy the speakers! 

Welcome to the cf4 club B)

Check out my thread of cf4s, Dave or wvu800 posted as his first link to mod threads. Please feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. Moray James helped me out and he is excelent and i am sure willing to help. Like he said bring them up so horn is at seated ear level.

I would also love to hear how you would compare there sound to a khorn? What are you powering them with?

Good luck and congrats on some very nice speakers.

Alex

Thanks!!!

So far I've been powering them with a Lepai 2020+ tripath amp (maybe 7 good watts per channel) and I tried them with an older Kenwood KR-4400. Eventually they will be in my HT setup, powered either by a Pioneer HT or a NAD receiver.

They're efficient enough that with the Lepai they sound great. Right now until I move some other speakers around they are in my living room, which had a large open middle area and very poor acoustics, so it's hard to do really critical listening. So far I can say that compared to the Klipschorns (which were also in that challenging acoustic area) the CF-4s are much more forgiving of placement, image much better, and have more ample bass.

After getting the speakers I noticed that it looks as if they've been apart at some time - there are a couple of different screws holding in one of the horns, and one of the screws holding in the crossover/posts in the back is half screwed in at a weird angle. Everything sounds great but I'm a little worried to open them up and look inside....

I did use Howard's feed and wax on the veneers and they look wonderful. It covered up a lot of the blemishes and minimized some scratches.

Welcome to the cf4 club B)

Check out my thread of cf4s, Dave or wvu800 posted as his first link to mod threads. Please feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. Moray James helped me out and he is excelent and i am sure willing to help. Like he said bring them up so horn is at seated ear level.

I would also love to hear how you would compare there sound to a khorn? What are you powering them with?

Good luck and congrats on some very nice speakers.

Alex

No. That's my sale. I actually acquired the pair I'm keeping (the one with the non-standard screws on the horn) and another pair at the same time. I'm selling off the perfect pair and keeping the other one- I didn't need two pairs but that's how they came. I figured I'd sell the best pair and enjoy the other and work towards a restoration on it if it's needed.

Since there's already someone on this forum selling that same speaker I thought I'd give her time to sell before I hijacked her sale and posted mine at the same price. Is that weird?

:) Let me know what your wife says!!

I want me some cf4's! ----- Hey your about 50 min away..... Hmmmmm gotta talk to the wife. lol lol Welcome to the forum :-)

I showed her a few pics of the cf4's, told her there is a nice pair in D.C.........Did not go over real good :-( I think I clicked the e-bay button enough this year.

It's not like I can get em and sneek those bad boys in the house and say.......... "oh hun we had those" lol lol ......take care Mark