To change or not to change?

Scrappydue

If you haven't already heard a pair of Genelec...highly recommended.

i've heard a full setup in san diego. they were their largest powered monitors. and some pretty beefy subs. think they between all gear they said 100 grand all in all. i thought it sounded terrible. 

Scrappy better list a price range before we get to wild, lol.

ok then well lets not get too carried away to quickly. what can i spend? well i don't really have a set budget per say. if i think its what i want and its a bit more than i want to spend then i am pretty good about shuffling things around in my life to get the money available. sell a few things i never use, work a little extra, anything to get what i want. to an extent obviously. 

i am debating just ditching the whole theater idea upstairs in general now. that would allow me to spend more on just a pair of speakers. i have been looking at salk hardcore. i have also looked at some focal speakers. as well as ascend. the ascend sound like they may be a good bet however i think they are not a great looking speaker so that immediately puts them out in my book. 

not a lot of used salks out there.

i could use the cornwalls upstairs like ref head mentioned as they are just sitting in storage covered up. however they are just way to big to have in my living room. 

• Like 1

Scrappy better list a price range before we get to wild, lol.

ok then well lets not get too carried away to quickly. what can i spend? well i don't really have a set budget per say. if i think its what i want and its a bit more than i want to spend then i am pretty good about shuffling things around in my life to get the money available. sell a few things i never use, work a little extra, anything to get what i want. to an extent obviously. 

i am debating just ditching the whole theater idea upstairs in general now. that would allow me to spend more on just a pair of speakers. i have been looking at salk hardcore. i have also looked at some focal speakers. as well as ascend. the ascend sound like they may be a good bet however i think they are not a great looking speaker so that immediately puts them out in my book. 

not a lot of used salks out there.

i could use the cornwalls upstairs like ref head mentioned as they are just sitting in storage covered up. however they are just way to big to have in my living room. 

That is what I did.  Ditched the theater in the family room and just have 2 speaker and a small sub.  We rarely watch BD or play the system in the family room loud.  Sitcom and the likes for the most part.  The Salk speaker are very nice.

If you're not using your 63's to their potential, how would you use any $3500 speaker pair to their potential?

thadues you must have not read my post all the way through. I feel I am underutilizing such a capable speaker. And feel I would be happier with something else and someone else enjoy these to their potential. I however would In turn pay a higher price for a ribbon based furniture quality speaker since I still have the klipsch cinema gear downstairs.

sorry i know everyone likes a budget to work with so lets say up to 3500 to start with?

A bit more than your "budget" but if I had the coin, these would be mine.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-klipsch-palladium-p-37f-p37f-in-natural-brand-new-2014-09-11-speakers-61822-champaign-il

Bill

post-24680-0-34980000-1410478868.jpg

Edited by willland

A bit more than your "budget" but if I had the coin, these would be mine. http://app.audiogon....22-champaign-il Bill

I personally wasn't impressed with their sound.  Guy had Krell amps, a very expensive Yamaha receiver.  I expected it to be magical.....but was underwhelmed.

you didn't hear them with tubes.....like buttah I tell ya.......(I'm just a bit geechie)

i've heard a full setup in san diego. they were their largest powered monitors. and some pretty beefy subs. think they between all gear they said 100 grand all in all. i thought it sounded terrible.

Home or studio? Home, all bets off. Studio, well then I'd be interested in which one so I can make sure I never buy an album from them.
  • Like 1

A bit more than your "budget" but if I had the coin, these would be mine. http://app.audiogon....22-champaign-il Bill

I personally wasn't impressed with their sound.  Guy had Krell amps, a very expensive Yamaha receiver.  I expected it to be magical.....but was underwhelmed.

You said the magic word, receiver.  Now we all know many high quality AVR's can sound pretty good with music but a dedicated quality stereo preamp or quality integrated amp will trump an AVR most every time.  Even with a Krell amp providing the boost.

Now I am clearly speculating here with the Palladiums since I have never heard them but component matching may have been the deciding factor in this particular situation.

Bill

• Like 1