At what point is a Jubilee considered a "Clone?"

Boxx

This subject isn't constrained by the "one size fits all" consumer marketplace mentality.  A clone includes all units' structural/horn elements not provided by Klipsch.

The preferred crossover for a Jubilee, at least from the mouth of the Klipsch chief engineer for professional products (Roy), is an active digital crossover, in case you didn't pick up on that before now.  Roy has provided passive design schematics for those that have requested them.

The list of drivers that Klipsch will provide for the HF horn exceed what most people currently focus their attention on, i.e., the two that I'm aware of are the K-69-A and K-69. This expanded list includes TAD drivers - if the customer wants them and is willing to buy enough of them at a time in order to make the time spent in terms of re-EQing the loudspeakers in the chamber for cinema duty worthwhile. 

Edited by Chris A

I was thinking of the bass bin in particular. Not that the crossover and horns aren't important, but the bass bin is what requires all the complex woodwork and assembly, as well as the drivers.

I tend to agree; however, in some respects I look at the bass horn and the K-402 (because Roy has modified the tractrix equation) as the "intellectual property" and maybe the “house curve” of the loudspeaker obtained through the voicing resulting from the crossover network settings as part of the intellectual property subject to clone, knockoff, copy, imitation, replica, reproduction, etc.

I was thinking that it might involve components used with the Jub that are not Klipsch made, ie: crossover or driver.

This subject isn't constrained by the "one size fits all" consumer marketplace mentality.  A clone includes all units' structural/horn elements not provided by Klipsch.

The preferred crossover for a Jubilee, at least from the mouth of the Klipsch chief engineer for professional products (Roy), is an active digital crossover, in case you didn't pick up on that before now.  Roy has provided passive design schematics for those that have requested them.

The list of drivers that Klipsch will provide for the HF horn exceed what most people currently focus their attention on, i.e., the two that I'm aware of are the K-69-A and K-69. This expanded list includes TAD drivers - if the customer wants them and is willing to buy enough of them at a time in order to make the time spent in terms of re-EQing the loudspeakers in the chamber for cinema duty worthwhile. 

To me, compression drivers and woofers seem to be somewhere along the spectrum of commoditization rather than a clear distinction of “commodity” vs. “differentiable product.”  Without new advances in loudspeaker transducer technology and knowledge, a person can find a multitude of drivers (with a little, or much, voicing work) that will work well in the setup. 

There are instances where people have bought Jubilees from Klipsch and use something other than a Dx38 (i.e. DC One, Ashley, etc.), does that mean they have a "clone" Jubilee or a "modified" Jubilee?

If I bought Jubilees and changed drivers, wouldn't I have a "modified" Jubilee rather than a "cloned" Jubilee?

Now if I built my own copy of the Jubilee bass bin and built my own copy of the K-402, then used Klipsch drivers, crossover, house curve settings, etc. what would I have?  Probably what many would consider to be the "clone" Jubilee as calling them my "modified" Jubilee doesn't seem to fit in this instance.....

To be a "clone", it would have to be an EXACT replica (dimensionally speaking) as the real thing. There might be one at this point, and I'm not even sure about that -- only the owner knows for sure, and he's not saying.

There is probably not a "universally accepted" definition of clone as many relate it only to biology.  See below for terms that I've heard people use interchangeably.

Otherwise, I agree in respect that without an exact copy, a person will never know what the original sounds like if not exact; however, I guess this doesn't leave room for the poorly made knockoff or copy, which we can find in many products and services.

Knockoff /ˈnɑːkˌɑːf/

1. An inexpensive, sometimes illegal copy of a piece of well-known or popular merchandise (i.e. designer clothing, purses and watches)

2. Identical (and usually unauthorized but cheaper) copy of a patented, trademarked, or copyrighted product or work.

3. Competitive material or product that is functionally and qualitatively equivalent to a higher priced material or product.

4. An unlicensed copy of something, especially fashion clothing, intended to be sold at a lower price than the original.

Other common terms;

Copy

Imitation

Reproduction

Replica

Mock

Faux

Ersatz

Fake

Forgery

Counterfeit

Counterfeit consumer goods are by definition goods infringing the rights of a trade mark holder by displaying a trade mark which is either identical to a protected trade mark or by using an identification mark which "cannot be distinguished in its essential aspects from such trade mark".

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

Well, I guess when it's not made by Klipsch?

This

From the 1,000 foot high, looking down, perspective and not considering the term “modification” into the thought process (we know there is a large contingency in that category), I would agree; however, given what has already been discussed in this thread, I suspect that this definition may no longer be precise enough or complete enough of a definition for the OP.

Otherwise, it is a sad day for me as I guess that since I changed my speaker binding posts, I no longer have authentic Klipsch Jubilees and have now been reduced to owning a clone. :sad:

Edited by Fjd

To be a "clone", it would have to be an EXACT replica (dimensionally speaking) as the real thing. There might be one at this point, and I'm not even sure about that -- only the owner knows for sure, and he's not saying.

I think this is an aspect many here don't realize.  A clone has to be exact.  A similar "knock off" is one thing, but a clone is another. 

I think this is an aspect many here don't realize.  A clone has to be exact.  A similar "knock off" is one thing, but a clone is another. 

Except that the word clone can be used in different ways. The first thing I thought of was an exact match, but if you look clone up in the dictonary you see it can also mean similar, ect.