A few new Reference subs for your booty

Chad

For this thread..........Pete Towhshend said in a interview a long time ago.........."everyone likes the smell of there own farts"......

I wonder what the context of that quote was?  Maybe a post burrito interview?

Yea lol lol......

He was referring to guitar players liking there own sound. It was something like that, it just has always stuck in my head.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I really like the new design.  Nice solid sub at 75lbs too.  The amp plate does look slim as far as features but it doesn't concern me at all that there isn't a phase knob vs a phase switch.  I for one MUCH prefer the look of the cerametalic woofers compared to the black drivers of the SW115.  The finish on the cabinet looks sharp too.  I definitely think this is a move in the right direction for the Klipsch subwoofers.

I'm still waiting to see the reveal of the new and improved, RSW-15.  :D  (my personal prediction....no inside scoop).

• Like 3

I for one MUCH prefer the look of the cerametalic woofers compared to the black drivers of the SW115. 

Not just prefer the cerametalic woofers but their association as part of the Klipsch Reference line also.

I like the SW-115's woofer but my first thought is Icon not Reference.

Bill

• Like 1

Spec wise it looks like it could run with the RSW-15 as far as frequency response and max output. What concerns me is the amplifier is rated significantly less power, 400 rms vs 650 and 800 peak vs 2400.

R-115sw:

Frequency Response: 18Hz-125Hz +/-3dB MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 122dB AMPLIFIER: All digital AMPLIFIER POWER: 400W / 800W DRIVE COMPONENTS:

15" (38.1 cm) long-throw copper spun cerametallic, front-firing woofer

RSW-15:

Frequency Response: 19-120Hz (+-)3dB POWER HANDLING: FTC Rated Power: 650 watts continuous, 30-110Hz @ <1% THD / Dynamic Power*: 2400 watts @ <1% THD / *Dynamic power indicates the actual power this amplifier will deliver to the woofer under normal oper MAX CONTINUOUS OUTPUT: 121dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter AMPLIFIER: BASH® digital hybrid WOOFER: K-1114-T 15" (38.1cm) rear-firing Cerametallic® cone, cast aluminum frame active / KD-20-T 15" (38.1cm) front-firing Cerametallic® cone, cast aluminum frame passive
  • Like 1

Im sure the rsw15 is the better sub. It cost retail 2x as much I think. But two of them would probably be better than 1 rsw15 for sure (just a guess).

I am sure Youthman will have something to say about that. :o 

He opted for one RSW-15 over his pair of Velodyne HGS15's after exhaustive A-B'ing.  Now I believe the new R-115sw will perform pretty well but most likely not at the level of a single HGS15 with it's 1250w RMS/3000w peak amplifier.

Just throwing that out there.

Bill 

• Like 1

Im sure the rsw15 is the better sub. It cost retail 2x as much I think. But two of them would probably be better than 1 rsw15 for sure (just a guess).

I am sure Youthman will have something to say about that. :o 

He opted for one RSW-15 over his pair of Velodyne HGS15's after exhaustive A-B'ing.  Now I believe the new R-115sw will perform pretty well but most likely not at the level of a single HGS15 with it's 1250w RMS/3000w peak amplifier.

Just throwing that out there.

Bill

I would need to see measured stats to support that :).

• Like 1

Think about it this way.....First let me say I own 3 RSW10's. But when you really think about it...and all of us who own RSW sub's know this..... Having the rear driver being the active driver ....placement on any RSW sub is critical as to how they sound. I found in a corner

12 to16 inches away from both walls being best. Maybe just maybe these new R-SW series being front firing might be easier to place...??

• Like 1

that's not that cheap. 80$ off. I mean this looks like a very similar sub to the rw-12d and they were around the same price.
  • Like 1

I was going by the fact that the 12 has an MSRP of $649 and these just came out like a matter of days ago. $360 shipped is almost half price. It looks like the 10 & 12" models have a rear firing port from the pictures I've seen so you would still want them close to a back wall and corner loading would still provide more output. As far as the 15" with the front firing woofer and slot port if output was not enough facing into the room you could still turn it around and point it into a corner. I had an old M&K sub that was pretty much a dud until I spun it around into the corner, it easily doubled the output and suddenly became an OK sub.

• Like 1

I was going by the fact that the 12 has an MSRP of $649 and these just came out like a matter of days ago. $360 shipped is almost half price. It looks like the 10 & 12" models have a rear firing port from the pictures I've seen so you would still want them close to a back wall and corner loading would still provide more output. As far as the 15" with the front firing woofer and slot port if output was not enough facing into the room you could still turn it around and point it into a corner. I had an old M&K sub that was pretty much a dud until I spun it around into the corner, it easily doubled the output and suddenly became an OK sub.

The subs in the Ebay ad photos are not the Klipsch subs that Chad made reference to a few days ago.

Those are the subs in the lower Reference line.

R-12SW Subwoofer
  $449.00 
R-12SW-Angle_635391310877790000_medium.j
  • Like 1

• Administrators

For those wondering what "new subs" we have in the pipeline that we've yet to announce, what I can say is this:

Klipsch has no current plans to release a sub that is better than the R-115SW at this time. We feel extremely confident that this is a great subwoofer, and it was even built with RF-7 systems in mind. It's that good, especially at the price point it's at. It really opens up the door for economically adding a dual-subwoofer setup that doesn't sacrifice on quality, in any regard. These are seriously bad-*** subs.

• Like 3