Oh Captain, My Captain

thebes

The greatest finale for a sports legend outside of Hollywood in many a day.

No bombastic, treacle, heart-string tugging, over-the-top, hack sports writer could ever envision it.

But it happened.

Fan or foe, if you didn't see it last night, you missed one of the penultimate moments in sports.

All hail the Captain!

• Like 1

20 year player. 19 of those years he reached the playoffs.

The only player (probably) to have a walk off game winner in his final at-bat in his hometown stadium.  That would be last night.

Come on guys. This ain't that hard.

But is sure is magical.

Thebes I saw it too.  Even though it was just the yankees I was interested enough.  I knew Showalter was going to give him the chance.  He's not that bad a guy no matter what I would otherwise say.  That's a big thing I will take from it.  Showalter did the  true baseball thing given the totality of the circumstances.  Of course he probably didn't think his pitcher would groove one for him like that either.  At any rate, thank heavens the yankees won't be in the playoffs again!

Hey OT Buck was also a Yankee.  Besides, ain't  no manager, anywhere, that wouldn't tell his pitcher not to walk him in that moment, game on the line or not. Buck  wouldda been booed out of Baltimore if did it,

For the sake of history:

There was a game in the 1950s where a guy did a walk off squeeze bunt. He didn't know it at the time but it would be his last major league at bat. The sports talk radio show Mike & Mike discussed this interesting trivia on their morning show today.

Nobody wore the uniform more proudly nor exemplifies the continued glory of the Yankees than The Captain.

If you like him, know this that he is a Yankee through and through and he'd tell you that if you asked him.

I think it is grand.  These 'end of dynasty' events are few and far between and merit every ounce of hoopla relish that can be slathered on the hot dog.  Of course Joe Giradi isn't gonna let the revelry get in the way of his chewing out them damned Yankee's for not making the playoffs - AGAIN.  They're fat, unmotivated and lazy according to good old Joe.  Wonder how they'll do next year sans Jeter?

I am a yankee fan and a Jeter fan. Even my non-Yankee fan friends tip their cap to Jeter.

I always thought it would have been great to see some of the old ball player greats (Aaron, Mantle, Williams, Mays) etc play during their hey days. While Jeter isn't the big homer run hitter or the .360 avg guy, he clicks on a level that not a lot of people can reach.

In his time, full of steroids/HGH, he wasn't suspected, wasn't whispered about. As a fan of the game, it's hard to not root for him, even if you loathe the yankees.