Hoping someone can help with Cornwall decision...

sb001

Naah I'm not buying them if they aren't worth any more than any other set of CII's- no room in my house for them, plus they aren't worth as much as the original Cornwalls. Shop owner did say he'd come down $200, making the price $700-- but I would have to pay tax on top of that which amount to another $60.

Fair deal, but there are other speakers I like better. If however I knew I could resell them for $1100-$1200 I would probably do that.

Ok, since you decided against buying them....where r they?

What's in it for me? 

The knowledge of this forum that has already been freely given.

Since there are other speakers he likes better, maybe if he could have flipped them for the $1,100 or $1,200 he planned to give everyone that helped him out here a commission?

$1200 ain't walking through that door for these. Ironically, that should be readily apparent by the "knowledge of this forum given freely." Everything mentioned (corners suspect with the protectors, stained cane grilles, etc) degrades the value more and more. Only one pair went for $1200 on ebay anytime recently, and those were in perfect mint condition with the original boxes. So unless there is something the forum is NOT sharing--i.e. early Cornwall IIs, with the original Cornwall tags and the blonde wood finish backing instead of the more common black finish, are worth a lot more than other Cornwall IIs-- they are going to have to be passed on.

From the posts above, I believe that the point about the "knowledge of this forum was given to you freely" may have been that you seem unwilling to 'pay it forward' and give a fellow forum member an opportunity to buy Cornwall II speakers unless they pay you something, noting that they are speakers you have stated no interest in, rather than your take-away that if a forum member might be interested in buying the speakers, forum members are hiding something from you about the value.  

Since your are new, in case you are not aware, we have a special forum section called the "alerts" section where we look out for each other and post items that may be of interest to our other forum members when we have no interest in an item ourselves.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/forum/84-alerts/

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

Looks like they're in Decatur, AR if anybodies interested...

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/ele/4695383507.html

Yep. Come on over to Decatur- and find out it's a town with a population of 203, one cafe, one bank, and ZERO pawn shops.

You'll note however the craigslist ad says Tulsa.

Can't blame me for seeing if there's any local interest at $1000, where I could buy the speakers turn around a flip them and make a cool few hundred. :D

Edited by sb001

You typed "Fair deal, but there are other speakers I like better"……………………. The thing is, if you heard these Cornwalls you'd probably realize you never heard a better speaker, which is why they still build them since 1959. On the other hand from your recent posts it looks like you don't deserve them anyway.

• Like 1

To each their own- living in Arkansas I've owned lots of Klipsch products over the years, my favorites that I have owned were the Forte (and I had an Academy center channel with those, pretty hard to find now). I also used to work at the unversity video theater who had a contract with Klipsch and where they used Quartets which were awesome as well. Problem is IMO each speaker brand has a distinct signature sound, and Klipschs are very very good, but I've heard a couple others whose "signature" I just like a little better. My favorite brand of all time is A/D/S.

Hmm. THink I'll remove this post saying where they were.

I went to a pawn shop today and found a pair of immaculate Klipsch Cornwalls sitting in the corner. Oiled oak finish (I think), they had the nice vintage cane grilles, and even had corner protectors screwed into them. I checked the date on the back tag, and it said 1980.

But, when I got home and researched them, I discovered that according to most everything I have seen, the original Cornwalls had rear-mounted drivers on the baffle. The speakers I had seen at the shop had flush mounted, like the Cornwall IIs (which according to Klipsch's Cornwall timeline did not come out until 1986.)

I am SURE the speaker tags said "Cornwall" NOT "Cornwall II," and that they said 1980. That would seem to fit, except the drivers were all flush mounted!

Can someone please help me figure out what exactly these are? Did Klipsch go through a transition period during this time where they moved to flush-mounted drivers on the original Cornwalls? Help!! Thanks!

If they're at a pawn shop, his asking price is probably double what he gave for them. Throw a lowball number at him and go from there.

My time around pawn shops has ensured me no shop ever ONLY asks for double what they gave -- triple or quadruple more like it :D

Ok, since you decided against buying them....where r they?

What's in it for me? 

Looks like they're in Decatur, AR if anybodies interested...

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/ele/4695383507.html

Yep. Come on over to Decatur- and find out it's a town with a population of 203, one cafe, one bank, and ZERO pawn shops.

You'll note however the craigslist ad says Tulsa.

Can't blame me for seeing if there's any local interest at $1000, where I could buy the speakers turn around a flip them and make a cool few hundred. :D

Hmm. THink I'll remove this post saying where they were.

As the OP, you have the privilege to do so unless someone quotes you.

Best wishes with your sale............

• Like 2

Shop owner did say he'd come down $200, making the price $700-- but I would have to pay tax on top of that which amount to another $60. Fair deal, but there are other speakers I like better. If however I knew I could resell them for $1100-$1200 I would probably do that.

That should have been the give away to the motive.

I'm in Wichita and search surrounding areas all the time and I'm actually interested in picking up a set of NICE heritage speakers. You're trying to flip a pawn shop product that's already priced out of it's league.

See? This is EXACTLY what I am talking about in the King Klipsch forum. Priced out of their league? At $700?? Prove it genius.

I really don't know what you're trying to prove at this point. You came here looking for help in identifying and appraisal of said speaker under the guise of an interested Klipsch enthusiast. Once you got the info needed you revealed your true colors as a profiteer in what seems like a fruitless venture (for your desires anyway) so why not just chalk this up as a lesson learned and pass these on to someone who is really interested in bringing these home to enjoy??

I'm not knocking you for trying to make a few bucks but you shouldn't have to lie to do so or interfere / try to block any acquisition by a fellow forum member when you have already decided that the deal just isn't good enough for you, I mean, why would you do that??

• Like 2