Klipsch Belle's

dtr20

You may find that once you properly position the speakers (preferably in a carpeted room) that this missing octave returns.

Well, they will never be in a carpeted room in this house since my entire first floor is hard wood.  Do you think it will make a difference if I put the speakers on a carpeted mat?

I don't know about your missing octave or so, but it might be better to put a small rug on the floor in front of the speakers, to damp down the (especially midrange) acoustical reflection from the hardwood floor.  If you have too much (reflected) midrange, it might make the upper bass sound weak by comparison.  Even Frank Lloyd Wright covered a certain abount of his beautiful hardwood/stone floors with area rugs (or at least less than wall to wall carpet). :)

There are formulas somewhere for how much of the surface area of a room of a given volume should be acoustically dead v.s. live.  IMO "where" might be more important than "how much." 

Edited by Garyrc

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting . . .

Many of us would have simply ordered Bob Crites excellent replacement tweeter and have been done with it for a while.

Interesting to see how your order your Fastrac and De10s work out.

Oh, and congrats on the acquisition of Belles . . . I love mine.

I've set them up for now in the back covered patio (where I rebuilt them), and I must say, these mods are fantastic. No low bass of course, but with a sub, these sound better than the B&Ws I use inside. These were supposed to be "hobby" speakers, but the sound just blows me away. I do like the DE10 with Eliptrac horn, and the Fastrac with the K55 combo sounds so clean, and imaging is excellent.

Geoff

Lots of good suggestions for you in these posts. Another possibility for your Belles is to upgrade the amp you are using. Personally, I won't use an AVR anymore for 2 channel. I've gone from an avr to a nice little Marantz integrated to Parasound separates on my 2 channel system (Cornwall III's) and each bump up the ladder has been a significant improvement in sound quality and 'slam'. Not everyone will agree, I know, but that's my experience.

Ah yes all good advice,

but if your still not happy with the sound............ then just bring those Bell's to my house.

They will look great next to my LaScala's and ChorusII's......and other wall-o-Klipsch :-)

Just kidding.....hope ya get the sound out of them you are looking for.

Like a lot of members I own a lot of speakers, when I want one sound I will play my LaScala's, when chest thumping bass is wanted the Chours line is powerd up :-) I also swap amps in and out, just to play.

Have fun and enjoy your Kilpsch.......Welcome to the forum......Mark

Interesting . . .

Many of us would have simply ordered Bob Crites excellent replacement tweeter and have been done with it for a while.Interesting to see how your order your Fastrac and De10s work out.

Oh, and congrats on the acquisition of Belles . . . I love mine.

I've set them up for now in the back covered patio (where I rebuilt them), and I must say, these mods are fantastic. No low bass of course, but with a sub, these sound better than the B&Ws I use inside. These were supposed to be "hobby" speakers, but the sound just blows me away. I do like the DE10 with Eliptrac horn, and the Fastrac with the K55 combo sounds so clean, and imaging is excellent.

Geoff

Geoff . . .

You have upgraded the Belles and you like the sound . . . and you leave those Belles outside under a covered patio?

Uh . . . do they look as good as they sound? I hope your weather has very little humidity . . . absorb some of that humanity into the wood/MDF . . . well, eventually have one ugly set of Belles . . . swelled up with rolling veneer.

Use a frequency sweep or test tone disk that goes starts at about 25 Hz in the bass. Sit near the Belles so you can tell whether the bass is coming out of them at your selected crossover (e.g., 60 or 80 Hz), and continues on up. To save your tweeters, do not play the higher frequencies very loud

Where can I find one of these test tone disk's?

Use a frequency sweep or test tone disk that goes starts at about 25 Hz in the bass. Sit near the Belles so you can tell whether the bass is coming out of them at your selected crossover (e.g., 60 or 80 Hz), and continues on up. To save your tweeters, do not play the higher frequencies very loud

Where can I find one of these test tone disk's?

I think Stereophile sells them -- check their website. 

You might be able to use REW's free frequency sweep online ... Google them ....

• 1 month later...

The Belle's sound awesome on the mid's and high's , but lacking in LF's.

The only way to improve Belle's LF's without adding sub is to place it in the corner? Are there any other ways to improve Belle's LF ?

You might want to read this thread from the start....

Jim

Thanks! I did read this thread from the start.

It's just that due to room restrictons, I couldnt place the Belle's all the way against the back wall nor into the corners, and I dont want to use subs though.

BTW, Belle sounded great on classical music too.^^

• 1 year later...

Thank you. We have them singing beautifully now. My friend brought over a vintage Sony receiver from the 70s. That was the biggest difference. I bought it from him instantly, and I am so happy. These are amazing.

We opened the woofer hatch area to check it out. I was wondering if we should stuff speaker insulation behind the woofers, if that would add any bass. They have a surprisingly amount of bass already, but one can always have more bass.

I am glad you were able to get them to open up.  I have comparing the lascala to other bass bins and it by far is my favorite.  I am going to be building a some Belle knock offs in the next couple of weeks and am anxious to compare.  I bet I know what the out come will be (Belles for every room in the house).  Glad you also came back, hope you stick around and enjoy us for some time.

Heard Belles just recently at the Paul and Valerie Klipsch Museum, along with the other Heritage speakers and the Jubilee's.  It's the Belles that have a grip on me.  To be fair it has as much to do with the look as the sound.  I am also lusting mightily for some walnut Klipschorns (might as well dream while I'm at it). 

I am glad you were able to get them to open up.  I have comparing the lascala to other bass bins and it by far is my favorite.  I am going to be building a some Belle knock offs in the next couple of weeks and am anxious to compare.  I bet I know what the out come will be (Belles for every room in the house).  Glad you also came back, hope you stick around and enjoy us for some time.

Im sure you have plenty of parts laying around, but I have enough extra parts to build several Belles. Let me know if you need anything, maybe a full set.

• Like 1