Who was a member of the "Record of the Month Club?"

Boxx

Didn't the enticement card or letter tell us that if we joined the "club" for .99 cents we could pick up to 10 record albums from the enclosed catalog list for free.  The only obligation that we had was to buy 8 albums (at amazing club rates) over the next 2 year period.

I suppose, with a few exceptions, this is how I started collecting my LP's.  It is hard to imagine, in this day of quick downloads, of having to wait 2, 3 or 4 weeks for an album we ordered through the "club" to come in the mail.

Also, it was very difficult to leave the club.  Once in, always in..... lol...

Ah the Columbia record club, a timeshare for records. 

I preferred the K Tel smash hits albums.

I had a few of those.  It would really piss me off when K Tel would have (on some cuts) an artist sing a hit song other than the original artist.

Yep, Columbia House out of Terre Haute, IN.  I was really excited, but they screwed up my original list and sent some 8 tracks  :ohmy:.  Never did get it right, and it was a PITA getting out, but persistence paid off and I got out, and if I recall only paid the initial 99 cents.  They also would send the 'album of the month", even if you declined it.  Was BMG the other one?

Never did get it right, and it was a PITA getting out
Sort of like selling Christmas cards, from a club, and being promised points to use in order to obtain a prize for the "special" prize catalog.  Those shipments of 24 boxes of cards kept coming in even after you tried to get out of the club.

It wasn't hard to get out of the club. We just quit paying for the records. They in turn quit sending them. Still have several of those including "Jesus Christ Superstar".

You mean that you didn't get the "nasty" letter from the company attorney threatening legal action against you?  lol...

Yes I said cassette.......

Better than 8-Track.  My dad had a Chevy van 10 and it had an 8-track player.  I bought Boston's debut album.  Like most 8-tracks, it skipped to the next track right in the middle of a song.  I think that one and a Robin Trower 8-track were the only one's I bought...THANKFULLY!  Was there a worse audio format, ever?

Bmg and Columbia house tape club. If you did it right, you got the freebies, bought the two or whatever you needed to get right away, cancelled your membership, then started all over again.

Did that a couple times and then forgot to send in cards, receiving whatever garbage was that months tape and called it good. I probably still have some of those tapes.

Boxx - Those cover songs were sung by the "Sound Effects" on an album or two I sent for.

I remember those "houses" coming out of Terre Haute, IN (IL?).

I even did these offers a couple times for CD's. Some of them even had stamps you tear apart and stick on the form you mailed back. I kept those sheets of stamps and circled the ones I wanted to get just as a "to do" list outside of the club.

Edited by Mighty Favog