And...oh, by the way

Chris A

Ok, since we're on this topic....

Very narrow and specific question.... 

Is it "A historic" or "An historic"?

I was always told that you use 'a' if the next word starts with a vowel and 'an' if not.  Under that logic it would be "an Apple" verses "a Peach"  (or a historic)

what say the experts?

I was taught by nuns in elementary school that either is okay with "h."

oh, and I'm far from "expert!"

Edited by angusruler

Ok, since we're on this topic....

Very narrow and specific question.... 

Is it "A historic" or "An historic"?

I was always told that you use 'a' if the next word starts with a vowel and 'an' if not.  Under that logic it would be "an Apple" verses "a Peach"  (or a historic)

what say the experts?

I was taught by nuns in elementary school that either is okay with "h."

oh, and I'm far from "expert!"

Sounds like "an horrible" experience! :lol:

• Like 1

Where's your their there they're post? :P

Advanced stuff -

"Your expectations of this crowd to deal with their grammatical mistakes, where they're making their mistakes, are too high presently. You're too demanding of these guys right now."  :P

"Wait for their second round of demerits where there are mistakes." :huh:

Chris :)

Richard - here's your answer: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/words/a-historic-event-or-an-historic-event

English is stupid. 

Try this, "The Buyers have the documents in their possession." vs "The Buyer has the documents in its possession."  Is seems like a a minor variation, until you need to change from multiple buyers to a single buyer in a 100 page contract.  Annoying. 

Let's also get rid of the letter C bekuse it is extra. 

Where's your their there they're post? :P

Advanced stuff -

"Your expectations of this crowd to deal with their grammatical mistakes, where they're making their mistakes, are too high presently. You're too demanding of these guys right now."  :P

"Wait for their second round of demerits where there are mistakes." :huh:

Chris :)

Richard - here's your answer: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/words/a-historic-event-or-an-historic-event

English is stupid. 

Try this, "The Buyers have the documents in their possession." vs "The Buyer has the documents in its possession."  Is seems like a a minor variation, until you need to change from multiple buyers to a single buyer in a 100 page contract.  Annoying. 

Let's also get rid of the letter C bekuse it is extra. 

The buyer has the documents in his/her possession.  I'm not sure what "it" can legally buy unless it were a corporation.  I agree English is a very bad language for contracts.  French is much better, perhaps the best language for an iron clad contract.  English must at least be partly responsible for our litigious society.

Edited by oldtimer

Now that we're on "than."

One that annoys me when I hear and read it in media.

For example:

This Klipschorn is older than me.  This Klipschorn is older than I.

I believe the second is correct.  This is because the sentence is actually a contraction for: "This Klipschorn is older than I am old."  We would not say, "This Klipschorn is older than me is old."

My pet peeve.  Smile.

WMcD

The buyer has the documents in his/her possession.  I'm not sure what "it" can legally buy unless it were a corporation.  I agree English is a very bad language for contracts.  French is much better, perhaps the best language for an iron clad contract.  English must at least be partly responsible for our litigious society.

Buyer has to be an "it."

If Buyer is a he or a she, Buyer does not know what he or she is doing and should not be involved in commercial transactions.

Buyer has to be an "it."

If Buyer is a he or a she, Buyer does not know what he or she is doing and should not be involved in commercial transactions.

Buyer has to be an "it."

Ah so now you clarify commercial.  Still a lawyer aren't ya.  Let me guess.  The deed for your house has an "it" instead of you listed.

All snarkiness aside, its is more correct unless multiple buyers are involved, assuming the convention of the buyer being an "it'"  I think.  LOL.

Yes, use LLC's folks, that is what they are there for.  

Here is another pet peve.  I just spent hours reading loan docs.   Is it really necessary to put a different list of defaults in every single docuemnt?  Can't we have just one list of defaults.  If not (and there is no good reason why not except tradition), can't all of them be the same.  Uggg!!!!

Let’s go back to the days of a handshake and a man’s word being his bond.

Remember the movie The Fighting Sullivans?  Right before the guys went off to war, the Dad had them list every cent that they owed people. He was going to take out a second mortgage to pay off their debts.

I know it was just a movie; but, it was a real movie.

Edited by BigStewMan

Remember the movie The Fighting Sullivans?  Right before the guys went off to war, the Dad had them list every cent that they owed people. He was going to take out a second mortgage to pay off their debts.

No offense, but good luck with that.  There never was any "good ole days." 

See my thread on Unlimited sense of entitlement.  It is the same now as it has always been. 

No offense, but good luck with that.  There never was any "good ole days." 

See my thread on Unlimited sense of entitlement.  It is the same now as it has always been. 

i know -- just pretending it's a Leave it to Beaver world; but, then i guess even the Beave got sued by that company when he ordered some items.

• Like 1