RC-64 II Enclosure Mod?

Jimm2

Does anyone have any internal pics of the RC-64 II?  I am wondering if its possible to modify and trim 3 inches off the depth?  OR custom build a new enclosure for the drivers so that the enclosure would only be 9 inches deep so I can sit in on my custom fireplace mantel.  As it is now, the center would hang over 3 inches and not only look goofy, but would not have anything blocking the upward heat flow from the fireplace. 

I have the RF-7 II's for the fronts, and this seems to be the only speaker that would match them good.  The only other thing I could think if would be to run Dual RC-25C's as a center.  Not sure how that would work though. 

Last option would be custom build another mantel, which I rather not do.  I have a lot of work in this mantel because I have built some accents lights underneith it. 

post-59120-0-34140000-1413140435_thumb.j

Jimm2,

Welcom to the forum.

Instead of altering(cabinet, crossover, etc.) the 64, could you custom build another mantel that is 3 inches deeper?

"Last option would be custom build another mantel, which I rather not do."

Folks, it is always better to read the entire post before you comment. :blush:  :blush2:  :D

Sorry Jimm2.

Bill

Edited by willland

Welcome….does your fireplace burn wood or gas? I'm thinking gas. Do you use it often? It really shouldn't get that hot over the mantle, the mantle is probably wood also, just like the RC64ll. Is it possible to recess the speaker into the wall? How about a fireproof base that sits on the mantle to protect the speaker? It might not be a big chore to have a trim carpenter remove the top of the mantle, the trim in front and sides, extend the top 3" and re-trim. Your recessed lights would remain….hope some of this helps.

Yes its a gas fireplace and it doesnt get used that often.  But it also does not have a fan, so all heat goes straight up.  And the Mantel is wood that is painted. 

Recessing the speaker I think would be a a major job. 

I suppose I could modify the mantel and try to find a 13" wide top shelf to replace the 9" wide shelf.  Not sure how much job it would be to remove the top shelf.  Might be easier to just build one from scratch.  I looked at getting another but even cutsom orded mantels only go up to 12 inches wide. 

I work in a machine shop so I could saw 3 inches off the back of the speaker with a band saw and even face mill it to make it flat and parrallel with the front.  I know I would loose some volume and dont know how this would effect the sound. 

The center is one of the most important speakers for home theater imaging. I think it'd be ill advised to modify the speaker in any way which would hinder it's performance. As much as I know you said you don't want to, I think extending that mantel will be your best bet.

A lot of people put the TV over the fireplace/mantel.  I'm not so sure I would like that, although I think looking up into a TV from a recliner (while reclining) would not be too bad.

In your case Jim, I would be tempted to widen that mantel to 12 or so inches, then either find an MTM or build a DIY MTM that would fit on your shelf, maybe an MTM with 7" woofers and a horn or dome tweeter.  I like the sound of dome tweeter for a center, and it doesn't bother me to not have L/C/R that are "timbre matched."

A lot of people put the TV over the fireplace/mantel.  I'm not so sure I would like that, although I think looking up into a TV from a recliner (while reclining) would not be too bad.

In your case Jim, I would be tempted to widen that mantel to 12 or so inches, then either find an MTM or build a DIY MTM that would fit on your shelf, maybe an MTM with 7" woofers and a horn or dome tweeter.  I like the sound of dome tweeter for a center, and it doesn't bother me to not have L/C/R that are "timbre matched."

This is the only wall I could have a TV and have it centered on the wall.  But with my power reclining sofa its actually perfect.  It's also nice for the wifey for when she is in the kitchen.  :)   The house wasnt built with HT in mind. 

I am currently running a Def Tech for my center which isnt too bad but not ideal.  But before spending a lot of money for the 64, I want to make sure I can fit it on the mantel.  And then hopefully it will support the weight. 

Going to head up to Lowes and Home Depot and see if I can get some ideas on the mantel.   Im just not sure how a 13 inch wide mantel would look.  I have too keep in mind if I sell the house someday how it will look without a speaker on it.  I have already replaced the orignal and dropped my custom mod mantel down to fit the TV on top and have enough room for the center channel.  

Nothing else, I suppose I could build a new enclosure and swap the speakers and see how each one sounds.  If I built a new enclosure that is not as deep, then I would build it wider to have the same volume. 

Edited by Jimm2
  • Like 1

Going to head up to Lowes and Home Depot and see if I can get some ideas on the mantel.   Im just now sure how a 13 inch wide mantel would look.

You could build it so it looks like just another tier in the mantel, not replacing the existing top piece, just adding another larger one.

If I built a new enclosure that is not as deep, then I would build it wider to have the same volume. 

Correct.

Bill 

I would not alter the box in anyway for reasons already posted. If the speaker does not fit and you don't want to change the mantel or add a platform as suggested than I'd say time for a different model. I've ran dual centers before but I always had one on top on one below the TV and it worked sounded great. I don't know how running a pair side by side would sound.

If you wanted to build a custom cabinet using all of the components of the 64 make sure the internal volume stays the same, maybe a little taller and wider to make up for the lack of depth. Of course that's assuming the drivers will fit in a shallower box. Building a "nice looking" custom cabinet is a lot of work though so it might be best to just alter the mantel by the time all is said and done.

Going to head up to Lowes and Home Depot and see if I can get some ideas on the mantel.   Im just now sure how a 13 inch wide mantel would look.

You could build it so it looks like just another tier in the mantel, not replacing the existing top piece, just adding another larger one.

If I built a new enclosure that is not as deep, then I would build it wider to have the same volume. 

Correct.

Bill 

I like your idea of adding another layer to the mantle, that way everything stays intact. Will adding the extra height work? Will a 64 fit under your tv if you add another mantel layer?

Correct.

Bill 

I like your idea of adding another layer to the mantle, that way everything stays intact. Will adding the extra height work? Will a 64 fit under your tv if you add another mantel layer?

I can raise the TV up if I have to another inch. 

How about if you cut a piece of 3/4" plywood 3" deeper than what you have now, keep it flush on the sides or have the sides overhang also. You can install some sort of decorative trim around the edges to match what you have now. Nail it in place and paint it. I think it would look good and solve your problem.

I had exact same dilemma. The fire place is positioned in the in the optimal location for A/V system, couch positioning etc.. For some reason builders often position the fireplace as the centerpiece of the living room. This may have made sense in the 1800's when it was the source of people's heat in the winter and place of gathering. In reality today most use it rarely, it's more of a decoration, and the home A/V entertainment system is likely where most folks would be focused in the living room.  When it came down to it, my wife and I decided we wouldn't be comfortable craning our necks to look up and watch TV. Also, with the RC64 II being up so high it would necessitate angling the beast of a center downwards and forcing the tv to be mounted pretty much touching the ceiling. In the end we used the adjacent wall and kept the Center on the entertainment center with the 60" tv sitting on top of the center. In this setup, the center is optimally placed with it's height at or near ear level when sitting on the couch. Surrounded by the RS62's in the rear on 38" speaker stands it's pure joy and we get to keep our family pictures and candles on the mantle ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I dont have an option of using an adjacent wall!  One wall is the slider to the patio.  And the other wall is half a wall with half stair rails for the stairs going up to the 2nd floor. 

I have put this on hold for now.  I decided to replace my outdated Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX A/V reciever with seperates.  Just ordered the new Marantz AV7702 Pre.  Waiting to get a estimate on having a dedicated 20 amp circuit put in.  If not too expensive I may get the Emtovia XPR-5 (400 watts x 5) amp.  

Edited by Jimm2