At the risk of sounding stupid

Kelly McAloney

Serious post alert!  Probably going to hurt my average.

You need to consider if you'll be moving or changing your speakers out from time to time.  For speakers that are moved frequently or upgraded from time to time, bananas are the way to go.  For permanent placement, there's nothing wrong with bare wire.  The less connections you have the better off you'll be.  Wire ends are for convenience only and add an extra component in the signal path.

Wire ends are for convenience only and add an extra component in the signal path.

True but I doubt anyone on earth could hear a difference in a blind test.

You can if they start making poor contact due to the loosening of the banana at the screw (I've experienced many times), loosening of the mechanical connection of the wire to the banana or the "prongs" flattening out and being loose in the speaker terminal.  The more you remove and install them (which is the main reason you use them in the first place), the more chance there is for poor connection, which is audible.

No dumb questions here.

Love banana plugs.  As often as I swap speakers around, it really makes it easy to A/B between speakers.

yea I'm with Youthman on this. I am always swaping speakers amd amps. But I have two sets of speakers that have spade connectors, but on the other end of the cable there is banana plugs, cuz I will swap out amps.

I will also go with my other fourm members.....no dumb questions.....

Have fun Mark...

Banana plug is how I have mine. You can also use bare wire  in the hole and turn tell the part the plug would fit into tell tight. Works great. Have them on my corns and my heresys. I got mine on ebay. Something like this would be a little better deal 8 Adapter Fisher Mcintosh Eico Amp Banana Plug SPADE Accuphase E-202 P-300 amp

Edited by reference_head

• Moderators
BigStewMan, on 16 Oct 2014 - 8:43 PM, said:

dtel, on 16 Oct 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

Never worry about sounding stupid, ask the questions, I have set the bar extremely low, your good. :D  :emotion-21:

He’s not lying either … sorry Elden, you walked right into that one my friend.  :D 

He's new he probably thought I was kidding :o  Really I'm for the most part finished shopping for anything audio so I am here for the fun of it. :D

• Moderators
Boxx, on 16 Oct 2014 - 4:52 PM, said:

CECAA850, on 16 Oct 2014 - 4:39 PM, said: They might make you a moderator.
:o

Whatever you do try not to make a lot of stupid post (for years) then go out of town for a while, you might find your a moderator when you get back ! It has happened . :ph34r:

• Like 1

Serious post alert! Probably going to hurt my average.

You need to consider if you'll be moving or changing your speakers out from time to time. For speakers that are moved frequently or upgraded from time to time, bananas are the way to go. For permanent placement, there's nothing wrong with bare wire. The less connections you have the better off you'll be. Wire ends are for convenience only and add an extra component in the signal path.

so if I don't plan on moving them much than I shouldn't bother with banana plugs

Here you go. 

DSCN0937.jpg

I am a bit confused...   Looks like banana plugs plug into a part that screws into them?  Is that last bit included?

My 12 AWG wire is simply wound around the set screw, which is then screwed down, a few loose strands and all.  I guess spades are what I need but never figured out exactly waht to get.

Here you go.

DSCN0937.jpg

I am a bit confused... Looks like banana plugs plug into a part that screws into them? Is that last bit included?

My 12 AWG wire is simply wound around the set screw, which is then screwed down, a few loose strands and all. I guess spades are what I need but never figured out exactly waht to get.

Yes everything you need is included. The banana plugs you would have to add but other than that it's all you need. And like I said you can go no plugs if you wanted. I like using plugs.

Sure beats wrapping the wire in there and screwing it down with strands creeping out lol. A spade would be cheaper. But your khorns deserve the better ones :)

• Like 1