New guy with Cornwalls in the house

wes_in_va

Welcome!

I miss my Cornwalls, but they needed more space (that's the same thing my parents told me when they got rid of my dog).

Coincidentally my wife and I met with a client this afternoon on Cornwall St. In Royal Oak, MI. My wife rolled her eyes when I mentioned the Klipsch reference.

In my house, I'm rarely closer than a couple of feet to the wall + room treatments.
Pictures?

Ok... lousy pic but the phone is so much easier.

Measures 30" from back right corner of LaScala to the wall.   I just moved everything to this wall a couple of weeks ago so things aren't in their final spot yet.  Toe in isn't quite right yet.

post-36269-0-91280000-1414125249_thumb.j

• Like 1

Nice decor and tube traps.  Interesting asymmetrically placed bass bin stiffeners--is there a story to that? And no subs? (I.e., looking at your profile.)

So you're saying that this is the new location of the La Scalas.  I bet it sounds very clean.  I really like my Beyma CP25 on top of my center Belle - it made a huge difference.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Yes, I finally moved them to a new location.  I was fighting a nasty image shift and no matter how I arrange absorption panels I could not get rid of the issue so I finally moved them to the wall where they should have been all along.   Someone here had mentioned asymmetrical placement of the braces and TK49 gave me patterns for the braces he built along with measurements of where to place them.  I think the idea of the offset placement (different distances) is so that any resonances won't occur at the same frequencies.  Regluing and adding the braces were a huge improvement

There is a story about "no subs" too...  I had a pair on order a few months back but there were various problems with the seller dealing with a supplier etc... and then I had a cancer scare so I canceled the order.  Turns out I'm fine but without subs.   

I agree. Even if all you are after is more bass (which is sometimes a juvenile request in itself), then conventional wisdom is that the speakers should be closer to room boundaries. This is not always the case. You have to take into account the room nodes and where low bass reinforcement occurs within the room. This is best deduced by trial and error of moving the speakers and the listening postion in small increments. The best or the most bass may well occur where you least likely expect it. With the exception of Klipschorns, I think you are likely to find that near a room boundary will hardly ever give you the most linear bass response for large floor standing loudspeakers.

The usual disclaimers apply here. My opinion and my experience, blah, blah, blah......

Shakey

How is it juvenile to want more bass ?  :blink:. Man..I think someone needs too get off their high horse. 

Edited by reference_head

Let's see some pics! My Cornwalls sound 'good' but would probably sound great in a different space. We have a room that does not afford too many options. I've found that in the space we have, they sound best toed in a bit and about a foot or foot and a half from the wall. Welcome! Glad you're here. Chuck.

Welcome to the forum.

Nice set up. I had Cornwalls for a few years, I did like them but sold the to a friend. So I do get to see and hear them.......kinda like kids and a x-wife.

Take care....Mark :-)

I would take a pair of Cornwalls over my ex wife any day :D

• Like 3

Let's see some pics! My Cornwalls sound 'good' but would probably sound great in a different space. We have a room that does not afford too many options. I've found that in the space we have, they sound best toed in a bit and about a foot or foot and a half from the wall. Welcome! Glad you're here. Chuck.

I've got one pic up in the original post. I'll post more when I get things buttoned up a bit.

This weekend I'm hoping to finally get some bass traps built for the room. I have a good amount of absorption, but I think a couple of true traps will make a big difference. However, I think I could be happy with the way things sound now for a very very long time. 

To some people, using something like Cornwalls in the nearfield might not make much sense, but it's really a very sweet setup.

I agree. Even if all you are after is more bass (which is sometimes a juvenile request in itself), then conventional wisdom is that the speakers should be closer to room boundaries. This is not always the case. You have to take into account the room nodes and where low bass reinforcement occurs within the room. This is best deduced by trial and error of moving the speakers and the listening postion in small increments. The best or the most bass may well occur where you least likely expect it. With the exception of Klipschorns, I think you are likely to find that near a room boundary will hardly ever give you the most linear bass response for large floor standing loudspeakers.

The usual disclaimers apply here. My opinion and my experience, blah, blah, blah......

Shakey

How is it juvenile to want more bass ?  :blink:. Man..I think someone needs too get off their high horse. 

Reading comprehension is not your thing, and that's ok. No shame in that.

I said sometimes it is juvenile. Let me explain further.

Nothing wrong with wanting better bass, accurate bass and sometimes you need more bass.. But many people just plain want overdone, muddy bass that either overwhelms the room or completely masks the midrange. It parts ways with fidelity at this point, and to me, that is juvenile. You certainly don't have to agree.

Shakey

Edited by Shakeydeal
  • Like 1

If you were not using EQ in your room before you got rid of your Klipsch (or third-party "Cornscalas", as the case may be) loudspeakers, then I could see how you might settle for less than corner-located Cornwalls, especially if your room was fairly small, you were using amplifiers with high output impedance (like SETs or OTLs), were not using 2' x 4' corner bass traps in ~two of four corners, or had other room acoustic issues.  These are not loudspeaker bass bin location issues-but room and amplifier issues.

397d1336716832-water-flows-uphill-klipsc

With in-room EQ and the acoustic treatments that I see in the OP's picture (and we should we not forget that this is his thread, not ours), the Cornwalls should be outstanding if placed within 14 inches of the corners.  But I also recommend the absorption on the front and side walls with a finishing EQ of the loudspeakers in their corners to attenuate any midbass-midrange (100-250 Hz) peaks that may be present. 

The absorption can be tapestries or any other temporary soft/thick material, especially if you pin up something to check out the center imaging performance with absorption and readjusting the loudspeaker locations.

It also helps to remain friendly and courteous--without sarcasm--since everyone here is being constructive and relying on their own experiences to advise the OP.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Shakey

Reading comprehension is not your thing, and that's ok. No shame in that.

I said sometimes it is juvenile. Let me explain further.

Nothing wrong with wanting better bass, accurate bass and sometimes you need more bass.. But many people just plain want overdone, muddy bass that either overwhelms the room or completely masks the midrange. It parts ways with fidelity at this point, and to me, that is juvenile. You certainly don't have to agree.

Shakey

Yea I get you pretty well shakey. Time and time again you talk down others like your somehow better than everyone. Like you say that many people want muddy bass. Well then by all means let them have it if thats what they want. No need to start calling people names like juvenile.

You pop in and talk trash about others set ups way to often for it to be a misunderstanding.  So yea I say get off your high horse. 

And the op congrats on your cornwalls. I love mine as well.  :D

Edited by reference_head

You pop in and talk trash about others set ups way to often for it to be a misunderstanding.  So yea I say get off your high horse. 

You can say whatever you want. And if my general assertion that some people want muddy bass and too much of it offends your sensibilities, then you need thicker skin. If this doesn't apply to you, ignore it. It's true on this forum and many others. And I didn't call anyone a name.

Hey, if you guys have the right to make fun of someone for claiming that all cables don't sound alike, then I can generally say that some people are juvenile when they care mostly for more bass than high fidelity. I am not pointing the finger at anyone, but they exist.

Shakey

You pop in and talk trash about others set ups way to often for it to be a misunderstanding. So yea I say get off your high horse.

You can say whatever you want. And if my general assertion that some people want muddy bass and too much of it offends your sensibilities, then you need thicker skin. If this doesn't apply to you, ignore it. It's true on this forum and many others. And I didn't call anyone a name.

Hey, if you guys have the right to make fun of someone for claiming that all cables don't sound alike, then I can generally say that some people are juvenile when they care mostly for more bass than high fidelity. I am not pointing the finger at anyone, but they exist.

Shakey

Well we both know you get called out by other members for this same thing. So you know your disrespecting people. But you still do it.

That or you just don't know how to talk to people.

Why don't you start a new thread to do that, and leave a link to that new thread here...this thread isn't on that topic,

I'm sure that--"if you open a new thread, they'll come..."

Chris

Edited by Chris A