Saw OLED today

CHASLS2

I'll wait for 55" at 1500.00.  My guess is about 2 years at current precipitous rate drops.  They should eventually become dirt cheap as, in theory, they can be produced almost like paper.  

In 10 years, one may well have a room with screens on all sides.  Hello, holodeck gen 1!

Dave

• Like 1

OLED is a show stopper for sure.

Yes it is. 

It will destroy LED and plasma.

Slow it down. :o  :P   "Better" picture with truer colors and true blacks and true whites than plasma, not really.  As energy efficient and as bright as LED/LCD's, probably so.  A great combination of the best plasmas and best LED/LCD's, yes definitely.

OLED takes the best of both the plasma world and the LED/LCD world and rolls it all in to one.

Charlie, this is just my opinion. 

Bill

Slow it down. "Better" picture with truer colors and true blacks and true whites than plasma, not really

Have to know why you think that.  It's the first time I've seen anyone, either technical commentators or lay people who've seen them, say this.  OLED dynamic range is often described as near "infinite" as for black it emits virtually no light.  Can't get much blacker than that. 

HT isn't my forte...but I have kept up with OLED technology since I saw my first one over a decade ago.  It was a tiny 8" display...but even them like looking through a window compared to other displays. 

Dave

What's the panel life?  I know originally they were having issues with blues wearing out quicker than the other colors.

I think it was around 10k hours. I only have about 1200 hours on my 60VT60 and it is 16 months sold.  I would never keep a display long enough to get 10k hours on it.  It sure popped on demo loop they were running.  I owned a Kuro and it for sure beat it.

Have to know why you think that.

Okay, mileage may vary.

I saw a Samsung PN64F8500 and was totally blown away by it's contrast, accurate colors, and those inky blacks.  And it was brighter than any plasma I had ever seen.

I also saw a demo of an OLED TV(can't remember make and model) of similar size and after many a back and forth comparison, I personally did not see much of a difference.

Granted these were not ideal controlled conditions for a "true" comparison.

My main objective of my comments was to counter the "It will destroy LED and plasma."   IMO, LED yes, plasma, no.

Bill

My main objective of my comments was to counter the "It will destroy LED and plasma." IMO, LED yes, plasma, no.

Okies.  I am sure you know that, as with speakers, a display is precisely as good as the signal it's reproducing.  GIGO. 

But I'd say plasma as well.  Even if OLED weren't as good it's going to rapidly become so cheap as to be virtually disposable. In the mass market, price will win over quality every time.

Aside from other things, I am looking forward to having a real newspaper sized newspaper delivered on it every morning...and updated all day.  If I get to feeling nostalgic, I'll roll it up with a rubber band and toss it out in the yard before I go to bed.  :P

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Every time I demo a plasma nowadays, including the top of the line Samsung that is still on the market, there is this high speed flicker, which I realize plasma is supposed to cure that due to a 600 hz refresh rate, but it's still there. Box store employees must not know how to set them up either because there is always a slight dark green tint.

OLED just looks like a framed picture, no flicker and the colors look really vivid, blacks are a true black and not a washed out gray.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Same as CRT as they are direct view which equates to about as comfortably as you can take the off-axis viewing angle.

The GF has had every iteration of the Galaxy S series with OLED starting with her S3 in '08. I knew about OLED and was aware of it's potential since '98 (just a few years after blue LEDs hit the scene), but once I saw her playing Angry Birds on it at night time, I was immediately sold on the technology.

Simply breathtaking, but as Dave warns, it's a perfectly clear window into the source (codec, bit rate, native resolution) and the display's GPU. Any fault there could easily be mistaken for the fault of the display technology.....similar to our speakers.

...and if you think OLED will change direct view television, wait until OLED displays hit the shelves, custom tailored for consumer-level head-tracking viewers like the OCULUS. I wager they will match, if not outsell, flat panel sales in 5 years or so.